Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - indian game cockerel good + bad points

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:40 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:37 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

hi
just wondering what's good or bad about this
indian game cockerel for show and breeding.

thanks corey :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:11 am 
i will go first, i have been waiting for something to go up ever since i saw the photos in the gallery.

a drink can would have been good next to him as many bantams are too big and this helps show size.

HOWever. i think he is a nice bird, yellow legs, plenty of bone and most important a drooping tail and sloped back. his comb is a touch too big but his sloping back more than makes up for it. his eye seems light red, pearl or daw would have been better but many of them are like this.

i was wandering if he does stand with his feet flatte on the groundr allowing his back toe to touch the ground.

i think he is a lovely bird and should breed some nice show birds with that hen.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:30 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

hi ruff
thanks for your reply
about his feet he dosent realy stand flat on
the ground.well not as flat as i would like.
i will try to get a pic next to a can today.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:51 am 
i would not worry about his feet being flat on the ground for breeding. i used a large indian that stood on "tippy toes" last year and have not noticed any offspring with the same problem. the standard just stipulates the back toe should touch the ground. it may affect his showing slightly but has many very good points. he may even grow out of it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:40 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

hi ruff
here is a pic of him next to a can

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:48 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Guys,
I too, thought that looked a nice pair of bantams, for all the same reasons Ruff has said.....Now I am no judge on indians, but my Uncle (Frank Harradine SA) Bred some real good ones in his day(large and bantam)...and remembering what he told me, they fit the bill nicely......I would be happy(more than happy) to be breeding off them(or similar quality)....
A Good Start, I would of thought!
Best wishes to ALL Indian Breeders....Keep up the good work.....(They are better than I remember them being!!)
Kevs
P.S. I have just seen the post with him being next to can......Again WAIT for INDIAN People to comment, but I think he may be a tad big (well for showing at least,...probably wrong?) now if that is the case dont panic, as the hen is the right size (going by comparisons). They should breed well.....Uncle used to use larger cocks on the bantam hens, to keep bone body mass up....worked for him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:07 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

hi texas
thanks for all your comments.
here is another hen he was with
she is now set on 11 fertile eggs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:26 pm 
he does look big. i am going to have too put a can beside one of mine to see how it compares. will do that after luch sometime.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:45 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

hi ruff a pic of yours would be great.
last year i got told my indians were too small
so i dont know what to do lol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:37 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Corey,
Dont get too confused by one off, or off the cuff, comments made by some people, (including me, as some dont know as much as they like to think they do, or put across, I preceeded my comments with "I am no Jugde, and openly state I dont know much).... others dont say that, and it's easy to get "on a downer" about one of your birds, IF you are prone to listen to EVERYBODY. Fraut with Danger tis that habit......
My advise would be to seek out people Like Ruff, Guy Fahey, Alf Woods, (and other masters of the breed that I do not know, eg the lady that wrote the book) and seek their opinion, and way up all what you hear, and then you'll get near the truth.

The Bantam hen looks very nice to me me, Real Solid well formed body, nice colour markings from what I can see, very nice little lady.....maybe the tail is up just a tad too much, but hell, I'd over look that considering the Lad is very good in the tail dept. Again that's just my uneducated view, and means nought really......Seek those that KNOW and listen to them.....I am sure THEY would be more than willing to help you out in all sorts of ways.......
Never Know Corey Ol' Son, you may have even converted me too......You have my mouth watering with these little Guys, and I might even be up to get some......Look out Indian Breeders, I'll be annoyin hell out of you soon....(soon as I get "THAT FARM" I've been raving about........I'm ONLY about $500k short of the target at the minute :aaargh: :aaargh: :help: :help:)
(Let's know how you get on Corey, send me a pm and we'll compare notes, and see if we can find interesting things out about our possble sources).....
Kevs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:15 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

hi texas
thanks for the reply
i have been lucky to have great friends to guide and help me,
joe robb from forbes has helped me so much
and tom ward from parkes too
he gave me the two above hens
but i would like to meet more people with a passion
for indians like me.
and also texas/ruff do you think the little bit of white
in the wings is anything to worry about.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:29 pm 
never too small.

well had to visit my dad for father's day so was getting late by the time i remembered this so had to quickly race outside in the drizzle and the reducing light. would have been better off using a beer can as i think they would not have regarded it as a dangerous creature. am about to upload them now. they are not very good as you will see they were avoiding the dangerous creature.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:49 pm 
large indian cockerel, not excesivlt large:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54516384@N02/6111148101/

bantam indian cock, a little on the large side:

[url][/url]
http://flic.kr/p/aj521N

blow me down, someone needs to show me how to gets these link698/s on as photos.

if you go into my account by clicking on the above you can see the photos and the details with them...i think.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:09 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

hi ruff
thanks for the photos
i will get a photo tomorrow
of him in a 45x45x45 show pen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:34 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54516384@N ... otostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54516384@N ... otostream/

That's not a very user-friendly site.

I went to your link
Then clicked on your photo
Then went to the top right-hand corner where it says 'view all sizes' and selected the middle one - the other work too, but will be too big or small.
A new page opens with the appropriately sized pic there
Right click on the picture itself if you're using a windows computer
Copy the image location (or url) then paste that into your post here. (Sometimes you need to go to properties to get it but it looks like
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6209/611 ... 877c_b.jpg It will start with http and finish with .jpg if that's the file format you use.

Then lastly - highlight that link that you just copied in and then click on the Img button on your posting screen. That will put [img at front and the /img] at the back of your link. That code is what tells the forum software to display it as an image.

Last edited by Chicken07 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.