Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Silver laced and Gold or Buff laced Wyandottes?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:43 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

No doubt you are right Raf. I thought for a moment that I saw a few whisps of grey in the tail, but I was obviously wrong.

I get some very white splash laced birds that others tell me are buff laced, but I know they are not. Even then though, I usually get a hint somewhere in the tail if I look closely enough.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:02 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

C,

I may be rightt, but then I may be totally wrong...... :thumbs: We are, none of us, an oracle.

Humility done with for the moment :P ,I have yet to meet too many a splash lace I couldnt pick by the shade of white in the hackle. They just look blue in the hackle most of the time... except this one....

But still, in the right light, the hackles are just that shade of blue this side of white.

This girl has the vlue hackle Im refering to:

Check this out though for comparison....

Courtesy of TSK's gallery - a buff laced;

No hint of that blue shade....

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:17 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I know what you mean about the blue in the hackle. Some are harder to spot than others though. I had a few very white birds. I lost the whitest one recently. I have her sister although she is a little bluer. Here she is. Although her sister appeared completely white, you can spot the faintest tinge of blue just under the back of the comb on this one. A lot of visitors here are convinced it's a buff laced at first glance.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:33 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

She certainly is a 'bird of curves' isnt she :thumbs: :claps:

I can see why people think she is a buff-laced. The washed out buff-laced look alot like that. See the hackle has that distinct lack of gold in it though. I dont know why the BLG/SPlash lines have that hackle pattern. Have we bred for it unintentionally, while focussing on lacing and blue across the rest of the bird? Quite possibly. Its one of the things on the list to put back in the BLGs once we have the other issues set.

Raf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:12 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Chicken07 wrote:
Are there any tiny bits of grey in the rooster's tail?

Well, I didn't think so but now that you've made me go and have a really good look, there are some speckles like pepper in the white tail feathers.
Here are a couple of photos

And this one only just shows thew two streaks on his hackle, both on his right side, each about 2cm long, oriented about 5 o'clock in this photo:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:21 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Dominant white can be leaky too. Without any blue tinges anywhere, I suspect Raf is right.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:24 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

And thank you to you all not only for your thoughts but also those gorgeous photos!

rwood wrote:
CH07, Poulet, what did the breeder say the pen was made up of?
Raf

I've dug out all the old emails from the breeder, and found these relevant bits:
"I have a gold laced wyandotte cockerel in with my buff laced white girls so the progeny should be buff laced and white and some gold laced. Most of mine from this pen are growing out with buff lacing - i have got very few whites and some very washed out golds and the occasional gold.
If the chick is straw coloured it will be a buff laced chick. The white chicks will be predominantly white- they could develop a bit of buff as they get their mature feathering but on the other hand could remain white (but carry the buff laced gene)."

I'm sure all of that is going to just scream the answer to someone who understands the implications :confused:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:27 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yes, he is buff-laced, not splash laced. No blue genes there. I think what you're seeing is leaking black, not blue.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:44 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Poulet, I didn't think BLG's in standards were bred in NZ?

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:23 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ayam wrote:
Poulet, I didn't think BLG's in standards were bred in NZ?
Matt

Gee, I don't know. This bird was bred in New Zealand and he's definitely not a bantam. But I don't know whether this colour could be shown here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:49 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

He is buff laced for sure. :nail:

Your mix is exactly what I would expect from the pen. However, I cant explain the all white.

Recessive white may be in the mix but the breeder ay also be confused about the outcome of buff laced to black laced. Buf laced to buff laced produces some all white due to double dominant. Perhaps he thinks this happens with a black laced as well. It doesnt from my understanding of the genetics.

Good photos.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:02 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks - you should have seen my contortions holding Buttercup in one hand and the camera in the other - as it turned out I was holding the camera upside down :rofl:
Thank goodness he's a calm and tolerant rooster but you can see that look in his eye ("What the heck was that all about?") as I let him down and he turned away.

I've been playing with the chicken calculator trying to guess what chicks I might get from Buttercup and Miss Silver, but there are too many unknowns and variables for my brain to handle. :confused:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:35 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I LOVE the shot of him walking away. It's very expressive :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:58 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

infoaddict wrote:
I LOVE the shot of him walking away. It's very expressive :)

Yes :lol: like he's saying " Hmpf, I am beautiful- you can all go .... ( well you get the picture)" :thumbs:

Cheers

Victoria

Ps- they are a beautuful combination the buff and white lacing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:35 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Well the chicks have hatched and the answer is clear (at least if I've underestood the genetics). All those who said "white" not "blue" must be right. To recap, I wasn't sure of the genetic background of what looked like a buff laced rooster (white lacing on buff/gold feather). I mated him with my ordinary silver laced hen. If he was a double-dose of Blue causing the apparent white lacing, then all of the chicks should hvae had blue lacing, right?
Well, anyway, none have blue lacing.
I set two lots of a dozen eggs and got a total of 18 chicks -
6 were ordinary gold-laced (black lacing on gold feather) pullets, like this:

5 were ordinary silver-laced (black lacing on white feather) males. Sorry, no photos - I knew they had to be males and they didn't stay around long.

6 are apparent buff laced females.
Here's one who looked like a female from early on:

and here's another, who must have what I now understand to be a slow feathering gene, because she feathered up slowly like the boys, in spite of having the gold feather colour and no comb or wattle to speak of:

Here's a group of three of the youngest chicks, one of which clearly shows some leakiness of the white lacing - one feather is laced in black while the others are laced with white:

And finally there was one cockerel that was apparently pure white:
I'm guessing he's really silver with white lacing???

(This is such fun! I'm not a show-er or breeder and only kept my rooster long enough to get two hatches before succumbing to family pressure, but gee it was worth it!)