Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Keeping Silkies and Leghorn Bantams together

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:35 pm 
Day old Chick
Day old Chick

Hi
I hav Two roosters who i hand raised together. A silkie and a leghorn Bantam. They get a long perfectly fine as they share a run during the day, but sleep in different coops. The Leghorn has 2 ISA Brown hens he looks after, and i was considering getting a Silkie hen for my silkie roo.
Do you think that the Leghorn (who is more dominant) would become aggressive if a new hen was introduced? I was also hoping that the silkies might breed. Would he be a threat for any chicks that aren't his own?? :?
I hope things work out... Any comments could b useful

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:57 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I'm not an expert on this but I would imagine the Leghorn would take the silkie girl as well.
I really think the Silkie & his girls would need separating. Also one girl would have a rough time
with a roo, so you would probably need more than 1 girl.
Sorry I can't be more reassuring but sadly I just don't see it working.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:53 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

It's doable - some flocks can manage with two roosters, particularly if there's enough space for everyone - but there's no guarantees that the Silkie hen would pair with the Silkie rooster. It's just as likely that she'll decide to hang with the Leghorn, depending on which rooster most of the other hens hang out with. Hens will bond with other hens first, and then with roosters second.

The only way to guarantee pure Silkie offspring is to separate the pair for a couple of weeks and that's where you'll strike troubles. Your boys are fine now because they've never been apart and I suspect the Silkie is subservient enough to the Leghorn to not cause trouble. If you remove one rooster, there's a good chance the remaining rooster won't let him back in again. Their memories are ok for a week or two but the fact of the Silkie being a boy will override any previous family feeling and he'll treat him like an intruder.

You can then start running two separate flocks but you'll need a couple more hens for the Silkie boy or the sole girl will get very bored of his attentions.

A third option is to have a single flock of hens, and swap roosters in and out sporadically, and only set the Silkie eggs (unless you want crosses, of course :) ). The bachelor rooster would have to be housed separately, preferably where he can see and be seen by the hens, but not so close that he and the Leghorn can fight through the wire. This makes introductions much easier.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:06 am 
Day old Chick
Day old Chick

Thanks for all the tips
i am now considering getting two silkie hens, and POSSIBLY housing them seperately, depending how things work out :)
Thanks for all the help :thanks: