Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - WELSUMMER BREEDERS WHO BIRDS LAY DARK BROWN EGGS

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:17 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

ARE THERE ANY WELSUMMER BREEDERS WHO BIRDS LAY DARK BROWN EGGS ? I am trying to breed a line of Welsummers which lay the dark brown eggs & so I am seeking some very dark brown Welsummer eggs. In the past I have bought eggs from breeders who said their eggs were dark but on arrival I found them to be pale. If there are any breeders who have such birds or who may knowm of breeders who have the such birds would you be kind enough to email the particulars to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:39 am 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

If you are looking for eggs that are as dark brown as the french marans, you will probably continue to be disappointed. Welsumers I have kept can vary greatly in the shade of colour even within a laying season for one bird. However, that really dark brown egg of the Marans is rarely achieved.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:03 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yes denis is correct - often the eggs layed in the first
Month or two will be dark but they lighten up the longer the birds have been laying. This could explain why the eggs you brought were light. More to the point however is what do you really mean by dark eggs? Perhaps you should post a photo of what you would like. Also worth considering is what is the correct colour of a welsummer egg? From my reading it seems that a rich terracotta colour is the ideal for the breed. Expecting to find welsummers that lay dark brown eggs like barnevelders or marans may prove difficult, possibly because they dont exist (id be happy to be proven wrong)
Cheers
Greg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:52 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

The Welsumers in Aust have a lot of brown leghorn added in the past to aid vigour, so eggs not as pale as the eggs in the Welsumer Club of Netherlands website http://www.welsummerclub.org/Pics%20of%20Eggs.htm
Will PM you, Mark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:12 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

All your comments have been greatly appreciated. I have had many a discussion on the egg colour & totally agree that there has been a lot of Brown Leghorn infusion in the breed. I have actually purchased chickens only to find that they turned out to be Brown Leghorns.

My birds lay eggs ranging from pale to quite brown but nowhere near a dark terra cotta Maran egg. I am actually using Wheaton Marans in an experiment to try & darken the eggs. What I am after some "dark brown" Welsummer eggs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:30 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

My understanding is that the welsummer never had quite the dark terracotta egg of the marans even in its hay day

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:35 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

markjohnconley wrote:
The Welsumers in Aust have a lot of brown leghorn added in the past to aid vigour

This may be so in some flocks but I know of at least 1 breeder that has kept pure Welsummers for 40 years. Absolutely no Brown Leghorn for at least that long.

Agree with Cochin Man.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:32 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Did you have a look at the website http://www.welsummerclub.org/Pics%20of%20Eggs.htm
That's very brown to me, mark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:55 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

Quite agree Mark. But if look back along the table of eggs there looks to be quite a range of shades of brown.

I suppose it depends on the priority of the breeder. Do we seek the darkest brown egg no matter what. Or , do we look for a bird that not only fits the standard but also lays at least, a reasonably dark brown egg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:47 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I think we may also need to consider the conditions in Australia compared to europe , as all the breeds that lay dark eggs oversea's are considerably darker than here.
and also here in WA its warmer than the south eastern states we have lighter eggs again I got a few dark eggs in winter when it was cold and laods of green but now only getting light eggs with darker spots.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:04 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Denis L

I would be very interested to discuss the Welsummer breed with the breeder who has been breeding them for 40 years

Would you be able to give me an address or phone number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:28 am 
Wise One
Wise One

markjohnconley wrote:
Did you have a look at the website http://www.welsummerclub.org/Pics%20of%20Eggs.htm
That's very brown to me, mark

Wow :shock: I had no idea they could lay dark eggs!!

The pullets I got from you last year lay quite pale eggs. In fact they are lighter than my Australorp eggs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:16 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

[quote="idealistic..The pullets I got from you last year lay quite pale eggs. In fact they are lighter than my Australorp eggs.[/quote]
Yep, PB Brown Leghorn apparently

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:01 am 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

If you were to add Brown Leghorn blood to Welsummers I suggest that a cockerel Breeding strain would be a better match as the females are much darker. It's a common mistake to believe that the brown leghorn and welsummer female colours are similar. There are many differences.
Personally I would not entertain such a breeding path with egg colour badly compromised.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:28 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

DenisL wrote:
If you were to add Brown Leghorn blood to Welsummers I suggest that a cockerel Breeding strain would be a better match as the females are much darker. It's a common mistake to believe that the brown leghorn and welsummer female colours are similar. There are many differences.
Personally I would not entertain such a breeding path with egg colour badly compromised.
Yep, apparently the CB's are not based on duckwing e+ like the PB's, but hey they're standard judged not genotype.
Welsumers, let's hope someone is importing them!!!!