Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Australorp Breed Profile

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Australorp Breed Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:31 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Australorp Breed Profile

The Australorp is an Australian chicken breed. It is a large, soft-feathered bird which has two recognized colours according to the Australian Poultry Standard; black and blue. A third colour, white, is recognized by the Australorp Club of Australia but not the Australian Poultry Standard, as of the current (1st) edition of the Standard. The black Australorp is the most common, and has glossy black feathers and a lustrous green sheen. The blue Australorp however has a grey-blue plumage and the white Australorp is a pure white bird.
The Australorp is a hardy, docile, and a good egg-layer as well as meat bird. The bird's single comb is moderately large and upright, with five distinct points.

History
The original stock used in the development of the Australorp was imported to Australia from England out of the Black Orpington yards of William Cook and Joseph Partington in the period from 1890 to the early 1900s with Rhode Island Red. Local breeders used this stock together with judicious out-crossings of Minorca, White Leghorn and Langshan blood to improve the utility features of the imported Orpingtons. There is even a report of some Plymouth Rock blood also being used. The emphasis of the early breeders was on utility features. At this time, the resulting birds were known as Australian Black Orpingtons (Austral-orp).

Eggs
It was the egg laying performance of Australorps which attracted world attention when in 1922-23 a team of six hens set a world record of 1857 eggs at an average of 309.5 eggs per hen for a 365 consecutive day trial. It must be remembered that these figures were achieved without the lighting regimes of the modern intensive shed. Such performances had importation orders flooding in from England, United States of America, South Africa, Canada and Mexico. Well looked after Australorps lay approximately 250 light-brown eggs per year. A new record was set when a hen laid 364 eggs in 365 days. They are also known to be good nest sitters and mothers, making them one of the most exceptional large, heritage utility breeds of chicken.

Australorp Standards

MALE CHARACTERISTICS

CARRIAGE
Erect and graceful, denoting an active fowl, the head being carried well above the tail line. The bird MUST be balanced.

TYPE
Body deep and broad, showing somewhat greater length than depth.
Breast full and rounded, carried well forward without bulging, breast bone long and straight
Back broad across shoulders and the saddle, with a sweeping curve from neck to tail.
Tail full and compact, rising gradually from the sickles gracefully curved but not long and streaming.
Wings compact and carried closely, the ends being covered by the saddle hacks.

HEAD
Finely modelled and skull rounded
Beak slightly curved, strong and of medium length
Eyes large prominent and expressive; high on skull, standing well out when viewed from the front and back.
Face full, fine in texture, clean, free from feathers wrinkles and overhanging brows.
Comb single, medium in size, erect, evenly serrated [4 to 6 serrations] and blade tending downwards without touching the neck, texture fine, but not of glace appearance
Wattles medium in size, rounded at the bottom and corresponding in texture to the comb.
Ear Lobes small and elongated

NECK
Fairly long, fine at the junction of the head, with a gradual outward curve to the back, widening directly at the shoulders.

PLUMAGE
Feathering soft, but close, with a minimum of fluff, only sufficient to cover the thighs.

SKIN
Fine in texture

LEGS and FEET
Medium in length, strong bayonet shaped, and spaced well apart. The hocks being nearly covered by body feathering and the whole of the shanks showing below the underline.
Shanks and feet free from feather or down.
Toes four, straight and well spread.

FEMALE CHARACTERISTICS
The general characteristics are similar to those of the male, allowing for the natural sexual differences. The pelvic bone should be more pliable, not showing an excess of fat or gristle; abdominal skin being fine and pliable, without an excess of internal fat. All these part to be of fine texture; any indication of coarseness should be discountenanced

COLOURS:

BLACK
Male and Female:
Plumage: Black throughout with lustrous green sheen.
Beak: Black, with allowable gradation of white (horn)
Eye: Black or dark brown iris, black is preferred.
Comb: Face, ear-lobes and wattles bright red
Shanks and Feet: Black, dark slate permitted in adults.
Skin: White
Souls of Feet and Toenails: White

BLUE
Male Plumage: Hackles, back, tail, sickles, side hangers and wing-bow: Rich deep slate, the darker the better. Flights blue slate.
Remainder of Plumage: Clear slate blue ground colour, each feature distinctly laced with dark slate. The contrast between ground colour and lacing to be well defined.
In Both Sexes: Beak, eye. comb, face, wattles, ear-lobes, skin, shanks and feet as for the Black.

WHITE
Male and Female:
Plumage: Pure White free from straw tinge or brassiness
Beak: Blue-ish White, Slate tones or Off-White (Horn)
Eyes: Black or Dark Brown, Black preferred. It is essential that the eyes are large and bold.
Comb: Wattles and ear lobes Bright Red
Legs and Feet: Slate Blue Face: Bright Red preferred, to achieve dark eyes in females. A little sootiness is allowed
Soles of Feet/ Toenails: White Skin: White

Scale of Points: Type and Carriage 30, Colour and Plumage 25, Head (eyes 15 and face-comb-wattles 10 ) 25, Condition 10, Legs and Feet 10 = Total 100

LARGE AUSTRALORPS
Cock 3.90 - 4.70 kg
Cockerel 3.20 - 3.60 kg
Hen 3.70 - 4.50 kg
Pullet 3.30 - 4.20 kg

BANTAM AUSTRALORPS
Cock 1.80 - 2.30 kg
Cockerel 1.60 - 2.10 kg
Hen 1.70 - 2.20 kg
Pullet 1.30 - 1.90 kg

Pictures courtesy of Taylorducks (Black Australorp), Winglet (Blue Australorp)

References
Australorps Wikipedia

Last edited by joshrules on Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:33 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I noticed there wasnt an Australorp profile when I went to look up some info on them so I found some info and put it together for this profile. No credit goes to me as this is all other peoples work.

I'll add pictures later.

Josh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:19 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

thanks Josh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:45 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

No worrys, I hope it helps other people aswell. Just tell me if you think anything is missing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:44 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

That is fantastic. Thank you!!

There are some excellent photos of good Australorps on the gallery - for mine, this girl of Coopslave's is among the best you'll ever see:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:40 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Goodaye Info, I am a novice, had Australorp bantams for only 6 months or so.
The bird's back worries me. The standard states, "with a sweeping curve from neck to tail".
There's a photo of a pullet/hen? in the standard, if I live long enough I'm after that back!