Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - wyandotte chick unknown colour

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have just hatched some wyandotte chicks (please ignore the 2 xbred black ones) I believe I have ended up with three gold laced chicks and one that is a different colour. I have a gold laced rooster and gold laced, silver laced and buff laced hens. Because i hatched them in the incubator and am new to wyandottes I was hoping someone might have a guess at the colour of the paler baby? thanks for any ideas :D

http://www.barritaorchids.com.au/chickens.htm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:17 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

:)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:47 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

If it's mother was a splash laced gold hen (you mention buff laced hens; if it's from a blue laced breeding program, chances are it's a splash laced gold- they look very similar) and it's dad a regular gold laced Wyandotte, then chances are the lighter one is a blue laced gold chicky. :D

Edited to add: I notice you mention :thumbs: you also have SLW hens. If it's feathers come though silver laced, then it will be a Silver Laced rooster split for gold; I am on my phone so can't copy and paste the info for you, but check out the genetics section on my website for an explanation. The link is in my signature below.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:55 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Hobbychick,

I will move your post over to Breeds and Breedings where more in depth discussion of colours including genetics occur.

To get your photo to display in the thread all I did was add the
Code:
[img][/img]
to the link you gave.

All are pretty chicks! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:47 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Cackles - :thanks: now I get it!
Shell - wow! I am in awe of what know off the top of your head. I will definately check out your site :thanks: too!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:01 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

shell20_7 wrote:
. If it's feathers come though silver laced, then it will be a Silver Laced rooster split for gold;

If we are talking about the chick at "9 o'clock I reckon shell is correct. The chick at 5 o'clock may be more partridge than gold laced.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:21 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I would say the 3 "gold/laced " chicks are either from Gold /laced hen( obvious ) or the buff/laced hen and thrown to gold ( you have no buff/laced in these .) The fourth chick in question is out of the silver /laced I feel . Not enough gold in the down for Blue Laced Gold .
The buff/laced hens with gold/laced males will give normally half gold/laced and half buff/laced ( this is the correct mating for buff/laced to keep the buff " strong" )

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:22 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Oh, I'm never going to get my head around all these colours... But it's so much fun! :biggrin: Thank you. I will put up some pics when they are older if this is ok

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:41 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Heck, post weekly updates if you like - we love photos here and it's always interesting to see how colours grow out from the down :)