Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Australorp X Barnie question

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:23 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Im wondering what would be the noticeable effects of a Australorp Roo over Barnevelder Hens in regards to the characteristics of its offspring?

Having not yet a firm, or any, grip on genetics i would like to know things such as; would the resulting progeny have black legs like the australorp or yellow legs and be solid black etc or would it show up in some sort of lacing of kind and where about on the bird if any etc.... Lightening up of egg colour in pullets and so on and so forth. How about eye colour?

Could someone please paint a picture of what these chicks would look like and what they would end up looking like as they grew?

:thanks:

Last edited by Hermetic_Eggs on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:01 am 
Great Game
Great Game

is it also possible that there would be no noticeable effects and the progeny look exactly like an australorp or barnevelder?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:45 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I can't say specifically about Barnie, but Australorp crosses TEND to have Australorp feathering, with a few coloured feathers to reference the other parent, and may or may not have the type of the other bird.

I can say for certain that Araucana/Barnevelder (="Barnacana") rooster over Australorp hen produces a black-feathered bird with Barnacana-ish type (stocky and low-set but with some bizarre curves in odd spots from the Australorp), muffs and peacomb, and green eggs. Black legs and beak, red face and small comb. Can't see lobes though the muffs :).

Chicks were, if I recall correctly, Australorpy penguins but with the Araucana muffs. Very, very cute little fluffy handfuls.

Your mix would _probably_ be a stocky, medium-sized black bird, maybe with some brown or maybe even laced feathers around the hackle or chin, and _probably_ lay light brown eggs of reasonable size. Leg colour is dicier and the genetics people would have to get involved on that - could be anything from black through to the Barnie yellow, including a sort of dusky brown/grey. The black Australorp eye colour tends not to carry through in crosses - it's the first giveaway in telling an Australorp cross from a pure - so it would be more like the Barnevelder's - orange/yellow, as I recall.

The cockerels would be brilliant eating as both breeds are excellent eating birds.

The progeny are unlikely to throw true to either type but it can happen. _Their_ offspring, however, could throw either way or to their parents mixture; it would depend on what you put the first-cross birds back to.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:06 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

I have crossed a Barnie Roo over Australorp girls and they all look like australorps but have the orange barnie eyes. Never had one any different. They all come out the same

Cheers
Shayne

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:59 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

thanks shane.... ive noticed same in the ones i have growing at the moment... need to work it out for Australorp Roo X Barnie Hens now...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:26 am 
Great Game
Great Game

bump

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:13 am 
Great Game
Great Game

bump

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:49 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi I have a little pullet who is black and white and has grey legs and is tall. Her dad is my barnie and her mum is my black Australorp. I will take a photo of her in the coming days and post for you to see. This pullet was an accident and not a planned mating. I am going to keep her as she is pretty cute and nosey like australorps. Cheers Linda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:02 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

thanks linda :thumbs: would really appreciate that as i too have had a barnie mate some australorp pullets and i hatched a few of those eggs but they are in the pen with all my other pure barnie and australorp chicks... which are easy to see... but im worried that i may have a 'sleeper or 2' in the pack from when one morning a pack of australorp roos got out and i don't know if they mated the barnie hens :? ... and so im trying to work out if i am able to tell from physical appearance at all. :aaargh:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:05 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I think you'll be able to tell the crosses, although it might not be until the birds get their adult, or at least teenage, plumage. However, even if they throw to the Australorp side (which they tend to), they'll almost definitely have non-black eyes, and will almost definitely have some non-black feathers in the general plumage.

I don't know the effects of Australorp on Barnevelder patterning; I think black almost always takes precedence over anything else :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:34 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hello Hermetic_Eggs here are some picturs of my 5 week old Barnie x Australorp. My Barnie roo is double laced and my Australorp hen is black. 4 weeks ago I had only one roo. This chick looks like my silver Barnevelder hen but the grey legs and the length of the legs tell another story. Cheers Linda :biggr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:46 am 
Great Game
Great Game

excellent thanks for the pics :thumbs: they look nice and pretty.

any chance you have some pics of progeny of an Australorp Rooster X Barnevelder Hen?

thats what im trying to work out... since i am worried that a Australorp Roo might have mated one of the Barnevelder Hens i was breeding with in October :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:48 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hello Hermetic_Eggs Sorry i dont have any other mishaps. This was my first one as I am normally very careful to keep the barnie flock in one area and the mixed flock in another pen :aaargh: Oh well I hope she lays large dark eggs, my new barnelorp or austrabarn? Goodluck. Cheers linda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:44 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

does anyone figure that second crosses would look different

cheers
Gerald

One bite at a time , or you will get a sore belly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:38 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Depends what they were crossed back to. Back to Australorp, you MIGHT get some pure lorp features back. Back to Barnie ... heaven knows :)