Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What is the biggest (tallest) game bird breed?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:15 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I am fascinated by the "prehistoric" look of some of the big game birds I have seen egMalays. Being an owner of Orpingtons & Pekins, these breeds are foreign to me so I want to know more... What is the biggest common breed(s) we have here? Do they have nice natures as pets with people? (generally) Are they flighty? I had Modern Game Bantams who where real people birds are they similar?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:34 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

bergaak wrote:
I am fascinated by the "prehistoric" look of some of the big game birds I have seen egMalays. Being an owner of Orpingtons & Pekins, these breeds are foreign to me so I want to know more... What is the biggest common breed(s) we have here?

Indio Gigante is the tallest fowl breed worldwide, here in Australia we know them as Malay…. Three year old males are also among the heaviest fowl world wide.. The Americans claim their Jersey Giants are the heaviest.. I disagree…

In Australia we have what I consider exhibition Malay’s, bred down from their original version Malay’s ( Indio Gigante )..The reason so males are able to fit through doors and didn’t need to crouch in pens while being shown,, because the lacking in accommodation by organizers … We still have the original line which I consider (Indio Gigante)… Currently in Australia they are still unrecognized, a fast dying breed victimized from being able to promote itself at shows because of poor facilities,, also matured males happen to suffer from stress during transport.. This is why when you see Malay’s in show pens you often see more females or may be young cockerels unless they in bantam form.

bergaak wrote:
Do they have nice natures as pets with people? (generally) Are they flighty?

I believe so, I wouldn't let toddlers/kids get close to them though, because of their height level.
No,they not flighty.

bergaak wrote:
I had Modern Game Bantams who where real people birds are they similar?

Yes, very similar behavior..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:26 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks so much for the info! I have checked out some photos & they are fab. :) Now why aren't there special tall pens made for these guys at shows?! On the subject of big..A good Orpington is bigger than a Jersey Giant too. :wink: These Malays are impressive, but i'mhearing on the watch out for toddlers/little people thing as they are at eye height.
Thanks again. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:09 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

[quote="bergaak"] Do they have nice natures as pets with people? (generally) Are they flighty?quote]
every owner of malay will say something different here..............
no they are not generally flighty.
they are usally placid with people however loke most roosters in the breeding season they do get aggresive, and belive me a aggresive malay rooster is not a good bird to keep.