Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sexing chicks by wing feathers - MY RESULTS

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 8:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:13 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I didn't know that, no :)

I planned to do them as soon as the last one hatched. But I'll probably be too impatient and instead do each one as soon as it's dry ... and then again to compare to the next one :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:05 pm 
And I wont even start on this.
Search this forum and you will see plenty on this subject from us.

It works for us, has for 4 years now on 100's of chicks both pure and cross.

Our neighbour gets the 'boys' and he has been disappointed as we have not made a mistake where he has ended up with a girl or two.

We did keep one rooster out of the 100s but this was a batch, hatched by the hen and we knew we were 'wingin it' because we had gone past the day three mark and was really into the day four.

We check days olds as soon as they fluff up, finger nail polish their heads, then check again on day three and send cockerals to neighbour.

:claps: :claps: :claps:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:14 pm 
luvprettychicks wrote:
Hi All,

So as per the method on the you tube clip, any day old chicks with some long and short feathers are girls and any with even number length feathers are boys?
What breeds can you use this for?
I've ordered 20 unsexed day olds from WA later this year including barnevelder, wyandotte, plymouth rocks are any of these suitable?
And I would love to get local birds but there just aren't the breeders so every year I get in 20, some are for me the others I sell.

cheers

hello there, its a shame but by the time you receive your little ones, they are going to be too old to feather-sex.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:01 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Interesting topic.

I was also wondering if this could be used on all breeds of baby chicks a while back.

Out of interest, I examined my new baby chicks wings (both hatched at the same time). If it works, I have one rooster and one hen :shock: Now, I'll just have to wait a few months to see what they really are! :rofl:

A picture I found, which might be handy:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:01 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

That's an interesting picture, CJane. But looking at that, I'd say the difference is that the male has shorter wing feathers at this age, and the female longer. The female's wing feathers all seem to be the same length (to my untrained eye), rather than uneven, so by the video, that would also be a male. And now I'm more confused :D

Donna, thanks for your feedback. I'm going to try this method and mark them accordingly, and we'll see in a few months how accurate it is for me (I won't be disappointed if it's different to what I expect ... especially if I end up with more girls than I initially count :D).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:48 pm 
Ol' Bustard
Ol' Bustard

Look carefully at CJane's image of the pullet wing. The top left side. There is clearly TWO rows of feathers instead of one shorter one on the male bird.

When you see it for yourself, you'll see the difference. I do them on day two as it's clearer for me.

As a learning experience (never miss an opportunity) why not do them on day one, two *and* three to see the changes for yourself.

Linz :)

[i]A lot of Andalusians. Anconas in Standard and Bantam PB Black Leghorns in Standard
and Bantam, Derbyshire Redcaps, Light Sussex Bantams.
[/i]
____ __ _______ _ _ _ ______ _ ________ _ _ _ _____

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:15 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I'm looking closely, but the video indicates the two rows of feathers on a pullet's wing will be different lengths - one long row and one short row, with them alternating. I can see it clearly in the video, but I don't see the same thing in the picture. I CAN see that the pullet's feathers are a lot longer than the roo's.

I hope when mine hatch out, they'll be easier to tell the difference :)

LOL! I can just imagine what hubby will say when I'm up there day after day checking and rechecking them all :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:53 pm 
You will by default check each day for three days.

You wont want to cull for at least a dozen hatchings ‘just in case’ (so we were lucky about the neighbour taking them as day olds)

And until you have had at least half of the dozen hatching grow to POL, will you feel you have it down pat at seeing the difference between the pullets and cockerals within the first three days.

Some will be definite – others will be borderline. It’s the borderlines that will have you doubting yourself.

OH is fantastic at it now – the borderlines still throw me a little until OH explains while showing me the difference in the sexes.
But then the next batch hatch, and the borderlines throw me again :biggrin:

Thank god for OH :claps:
(just wont tell him that)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:41 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

haha - great! Now you've got me convinced I'll get 'em all wrong :D

So what's the reason this only works reliably for the first 3 days? Just that it's harder to spot the difference as they start growing?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:58 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Just to clarify, the picture posted above showing the differing growth rates on the wing feathers is actually from chicks that have been crossed to intentionally create this affect. It doesn't work for all.

You take a male with the fast growing genes and you cross it with a hen that carries genes for slow feathering. This cross only creates offspring where the female chicks will have fast growing wings and tails and the male chicks with have slow growing wings and tails. The difference between those two results are what is shown in that photo. This trick has been used in commercial poultry over the years where different lines are being crossed, but that's not what you see in purebreed poultry.

Judging the sex of chicks where those gene combinations are not a factor is very variable. People will swear by their results but there are always plenty of complaints from people who buy supposedly sexed chicks by this method. The reality is that many breeds can be easily sexed by 3 - 4 weeks on comb development, wattle growth, and amount of feathering. Sexing at that age is far more reliable. Those who do the feather sexing at day old are working with inconsistent and tiny differences. Females naturally feather faster than males so there will be a difference. You can get it right more often than wrong but I wouldn't sell them to the unsuspecting public based on that system. It's a bit hit 'n' miss, despite the testimonials.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:14 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi Shaz68

re Dorkings, do you know about sexing them from their head markings? I've found this works pretty well, at least with the silver greys I have.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:32 pm 
shaz68 wrote:
haha - great! Now you've got me convinced I'll get 'em all wrong :D

So what's the reason this only works reliably for the first 3 days? Just that it's harder to spot the difference as they start growing?

:biggrin: yes, it's because the wing feathers on the pullets will catch up and level,out as they age to the 1 week mark..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:41 pm 
Chicken07 wrote:
People will swear by their results but there are always plenty of complaints from people who buy supposedly sexed chicks by this method..

That is so as we hear it all the time.

We were lucky in the neighbour took the males and we kept the females. So we weren't hurting anyone other than ourselves and creating disappointment for the neighbour who was hoping for a few australorp pullets from our possible mistakes.

After four years, and 100os of chicks later, we feel darn confident that we get it right as long as we stay in the timeline of the first three days.

When you have an incubator hatching 268 eggs every 3 weeks, trust me, feeding the unwanted males for even four weeks is just not financially viable.

I think many people don't stay on this timeline and yes, there are breeds that it just wouldn't work for.

We have Australorps, white leghorns and their crosses: the austra white and ( we call) leggie lorps.
Grant you the austra whites are sex-linked to leg colour but the others are not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:59 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Patty, yes, I did hear about sexing by the head markings, though sometimes it's a bit hard to tell with some. I'll be using any and every method I come across, and making notes, just to see what works and what doesn't. Hopefully I'll get some good photos to post too, and see how close I am to what more experienced chicken owners decide.

And to clarify, I'm just trying the different methods to satisfy my own curiosity - not to get any super-early indication of what's what in order to actually do anything based on my guesses. We'll be keeping these until they're a few months old, and it's very definite which are the pullets and which are the roosters, before we consider selling any of them. :)

Chicken07, when you say it's bred, is that into a breed overall, or can it differ for different breeders within the same breed? So would ALL Orpingtons have the same characteristics, or could they differ, depending on where I buy the eggs?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:20 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

they would differ depending on where you bought the eggs :( :o :shock: :( sorry.

when you know hwat the cross actually is its a reliable method of sexing chickens, but hte problem is that many people have put their faith in the system without fully understanding the genetics behind hte system :thumbs: