Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Australorps: Does my bum look big in this?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:59 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Hi All
I have 3 australorp pullets that are about 21 weeks old. Not yet laying.
One of them has a really big tail which is gorgeous but not sure if it meets the standards to show her. Tail should be 'full and compact'. Any thoughts?

She is on the left as compared to the other two girls.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:50 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I know nothing about lorps, but she is beautiful, and this will bump you!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:58 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I love the sheen on them.

Don't know anything about show Australorps other than, they are supposed to be long in the back, yours look like mine, shorter back. Mine are utilities.

But again, I know nothing. :?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:08 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Thanks for your replies!
I know not much about australorps too but like them a lot!

Heres a better pic taken last week to show the shape. They are not so squashed looking.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:10 am 
Great Game
Great Game

They look just like my utility Australorps - gorgeous!! Mine are 10 months old.
also don't know anything about the standard but I love their big bums.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:35 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

These guys are now about 7 months old and laying like troopers!
Julio, the rooster has been busy and the batch of eggs I put in the incubator (before they got fried in the heat :-( ) were all fertile so I will try again as soon as the weather cools a bit to give me a break from brooders and little chicks.

My gorgeous girls:

And Julio the handsome:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:36 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

They really are beautiful, healthy looking birds. A great credit to you! :-D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:35 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

They are beautiful looking hens redjo. They look like a Utility line crossed with a Show line. Still gorgeous anyway but the tail is a bit longer than the standard. Did you hatch them from bought eggs or do you know the parentage?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:09 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Very nice Australorps. In my oppinion they are far too round and fluffy to be from a utility line. They look like they are from an exhibition line but not necessarily show quality.
We keep Australorps from utility lines and exhibition lines. I find that lorps from utility lines also tend to have quite a few feathers on their face with dark brown eyes while redjohanna's lorps are clean faced with black eyes and very glossy black feathers with a nice green sheen.
This info is just from our experience with the two different strains of Australorps.
If anyone is interested we have a pic of a blue australorp pullet in the gallery that is half utility and half exhibition.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:37 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

artemis wrote:
They are beautiful looking hens redjo. They look like a Utility line crossed with a Show line. Still gorgeous anyway but the tail is a bit longer than the standard. Did you hatch them from bought eggs or do you know the parentage?

Artemis, the pullets are all from bought eggs from South Australia and Julio is from unknown parentage but I liked his face. They certainly lay well (6 eggs each a week) and good size eggs too.
Julio would have to be the most consistent crower I have ever met :shock: does not shut up! Very nice natured fella though.

chookboyandchookgirl wrote:
Very nice Australorps. In my oppinion they are far too round and fluffy to be from a utility line. They look like they are from an exhibition line but not necessarily show quality.
We keep Australorps from utility lines and exhibition lines. I find that lorps from utility lines also tend to have quite a few feathers on their face with dark brown eyes while redjohanna's lorps are clean faced with black eyes and very glossy black feathers with a nice green sheen.
This info is just from our experience with the two different strains of Australorps.
If anyone is interested we have a pic of a blue australorp pullet in the gallery that is half utility and half exhibition.

Chookboyandchookgirl, I do have some young, utility line blues as well. The blues are lovely.

So no shows for these guys then! I will just have to enjoy them myself :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:04 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

"Utility" has been taken to mean birds that are slightly leaner, taller, and less fluffy than what's known as "Show" or "Exhibition" Australorps. Both, however, should have black eyes - if they've got distinctly pale brown eyes, then their recent heritage includes the Australorp crosses commonly sold as laying birds. Such birds often have brown or white feathers under their "chin", and have brown eyes. They are not pure Australorps, but crossed with Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, or Leghorn to improve their laying abilities.

The latter are excellent layers and good-looking birds, but they are not "utility Australorps". They are simply Australorp crosses.

I _believe_ that blue Australorps may have paler eyes, however; I'm only familiar with blacks :)

On the original subjects of the thread - they are GORGEOUS. Stuff the size of their fluffy behinds; just means they're tending a little more toward their Orpington heritage :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:28 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Thanks Info
I am in love with the gorgeous big things and their fluffy butts :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:32 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Completely agree with that statement infoaddict. I was reffering to utility Australorps, not Australorp crosses. Just to clarify I was reffering to dark brown eyes which is still acceptable in the Australorp standard even though black is preffered.
It gets to me as well when people sell birds as utility Australorps when you can see they are Australorp crosses due to light brown eyes and some brown feathers.
Blue Autralorps should also have black/Dark brown eyes.
Still very gorgeous birds redjohanna. They are some of the better lorps I have seen. I don't see why you couldn't show them.

Last edited by chookboyandchookgirl on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:33 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

'lorps still remain my first love. I really MUST get lots more so I've got a big flock of the lovely things hanging around, shining green in the sun. They're friendly, they don't die, they don't eat huge quantities of food, they live forever and THEY DON'T GET SICK.

LOVE them.

And yours are extremely gorgeous examples of the breed, _I_ reckon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:39 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

infoaddict wrote:
'lorps still remain my first love. I really MUST get lots more so I've got a big flock of the lovely things hanging around, shining green in the sun. They're friendly, they don't die, they don't eat huge quantities of food, they live forever and THEY DON'T GET SICK.

LOVE them.

And yours are extremely gorgeous examples of the breed, _I_ reckon.

I totally agree and they lay EGGS. Lots of them :woot:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next