Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Acceptability of Variance in OE

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:25 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

ar69 wrote:
...., it seems alot of the experienced oxford breeders have left since coming on this forum which is a shame as the information, insite and history they have is much to the detriment of people like myself now theyve gone. ....
Well said, this forum is certainly poorer for it, mark

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:32 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Agreed,Mark and AR66,what happened to them see Terriers back, gamefowl discussion has decreased since they have been silent or silenced.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:55 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

The reason a lot of people have dropped off is the fact that the topic has been done to death.
The reality is that the new APS is in place and nothing is going to change in the next decade.
If you wish to be involved in showing poultry you are going to be subject to that standard -simple as that!
There is no Carlisle ,no Oxford .Just OEG and American Game-that is the reality!
Nothing is going to change that in the next 10 years at least.
Bark as loud as you will but that is how it is!
I too ,enjoy the old stories and it is indeed sad that some of the more interesting characters have called it a day. I may not agree with anything they have to say but it is interesting to consider different opinions,especially if they can back it up with a few facts rather than the emotional,unsubstantiated opinions as appears to be the norm in most of these debates.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:15 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Look to say nothing is going to change in the next 10 years IMO is false; just step back and take a look at the changes OEG have undertaken in the last 20 to 30 years. For the better I'll let you the "judges" be the judge; but definite and obvious changes!

More and more fanciers will be focusing on infusing blood into their fowls to achieve the desired results in the show pen; we have seen more and more of this occurring and we will continue to see this.

Fact has been put forward that is why we are seeing many new fanciers look at this situation from a different angle. THEIR OWN! e.g. Dan1971, Pearleye, ar69, Shorty to name a few; well done.

No one is "barking" but if we have to use an analogy I prefer the term "crowing"!

I'm certain we will see a lot more acceptance with regard to variance in OEG! What a shame it was lost; acceptance that is!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:31 am 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

pedro73 wrote:
I prefer the term "crowing"!

This is exactly the reason why the antagonistic approach so persist with those pushing the Oxford line in Australia has not succeeded to date and will not succeed. Crowing is an effective tool for the rooster but it certainly doesnt work in the human world when trying to persuade others that your way is the only way.

There is little point naming a couple of recent converts when in the general world of exhibition poultry in Oz the extremes of style, as demonstated by the Oxford style of OEG in Oz, just do not establish a substantial following.

Post subject: !
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:41 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

OK, but lets keep in mind the changes we are seeing in OEG speak louder than words! And stronger than both yours and mine opinions on the subject!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:12 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

DenisL
why do I continuously see you belittling oxford people on this site, for someone to be proud of the fowl they own and breed is nothing to be discouraged and certainly not antagonistic and the fact that they are a minority group does not give you the right to constantly put them down. The majority of the world once thought the world was flat, were they right??
what is wrong with being proud of the recent converts to our magnificent fowl, people are evaluating all the information that is put to them and coming up with their own conclusions, just because they don't match your opinions doesn't make them less worthy. Do you even own Gamefowl? I don't understand why you are so against Oxford people.
Oxford type birds have been with humans for eternity and as much as you would like them to just disappear they will continue to thrive in the hands of dedicated breeders as they always have.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:43 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

pedro73 wrote:

............ we are seeing many new fanciers look at this situation from a different angle. THEIR OWN!
I am seeing this also, persons that are doing the background study and not being overly influenced by any "side" of the arguement, making up their own mind on what is acceptable.

I'm certain we will see a lot more acceptance with regard to variance in OEG! What a shame it was lost; acceptance that is!
I think this will also occur but it will not stop the ridicule from the many who do not accept variation outside their own interpretation. To accept variance is also to accept others opinions which is rare in the OEG fraternity.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:23 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Theres a book old poultry breeds by Fred Hams.
He states after 1849 the craze for poultry shows in the 1850s led to the breeding of malay crosses-purely an exhibition bird. Not all breeders followed fashion. As game birds in the show pen became purely exhibition creatures, many people continued to breed the OLD type of game.In many other cases the TRUE(OLD) English Game fowl was breed purely for its unsurpassed beauty and beautiful they are!
Many breeders would have been tempted the exhibit their fowl but there would be little point as the judges were looking for a completely different type of bird.
Also over the years more than one type has been bred,the Oxford type and Carlisle type.

If i ever see an add in the paper on OEG i always ask wether they are oxfords or carlise so i can get an idea of the fowl type before looking, every answer i get is a mix between both-Yikes Elvis wont even enter the building.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:22 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

The point I was trying to make but was missed by most was that we have the APS 2 which came out in 2012.We will not see the APS 3 for at least 10 years,so the standards are not going to change in that time.Is that so difficult to understand?
So,if you wish to be invoved in showing poultry in this country you are bound be this standard.Simple as that.
As I stated, no Oxford, no Carlisle.Just OEG and Americans, so you better get used to it.You may not agree with the current state of affairs but that is the reality of the situation and it isn't going to change any time soon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:02 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Guy Fahey wrote:
The point I was trying to make but was missed by most was that we have the APS 2 which came out in 2012.We will not see the APS 3 for at least 10 years,so the standards are not going to change in that time.Is that so difficult to understand?
So,if you wish to be invoved in showing poultry in this country you are bound be this standard.Simple as that.
As I stated, no Oxford, no Carlisle.Just OEG and Americans, so you better get used to it.You may not agree with the current state of affairs but that is the reality of the situation and it isn't going to change any time soon.

Not true. You can show at the 2 Oxford club shows (Boonah & Cessnock) or at any of the progressive Ag shows that put on oxford classes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:08 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

pedro73 wrote:
Not true. You can show at the 2 Oxford club shows (Boonah & Cessnock) or at any of the progressive Ag shows that put on oxford classes.

In the overall scheme of exhibition poultry in Australia this is very small pickings. There was much talk of a SE Aust Oxford club a year or so back. What has come of that proposal?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:14 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Good fowl are measured by quality not quantity.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:27 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

DenisL wrote:
In the overall scheme of exhibition poultry in Australia this is very small pickings. There was much talk of a SE Aust Oxford club a year or so back. What has come of that proposal?

Plenty has come from it, their will be a SE Australian show held this year by the Oxford club.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:34 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

pedro73 wrote:
Good fowl are measured by quality not quantity.

Quite true Pedro. For those that are interested in some quality OEG I suggest a look at Doug Wallace's Member gallery. There are 22 pics, a good quantity of quality OEG.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next