Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - why do columbian wyandottes and light sussex look so similar

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:19 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

The action of Columbian on e+, eb & eWh will all give the "Columbian/Light/Ermine" pattern, with varying undercolour,
however Columbian is not expressed on E or ER fowl.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:35 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

blackdotte i can make an ER fowl look like an eb when adult, i think i could make it look like a columbian with a little more effort.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:38 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

ok i had better put up some proof that i feel this is possible. to begin with you must look at the gold of the following birds being easilly replaced with silver. both these birds are ER and i have test mated them just in case i got it wrong. the following is ER pekin crosss hen being used to make laced pekins like a sebright, based on ER:

i feel with a bit of selective breeding the hen could become a columbian style bird.

next is an australian game ckl. i have had birds with more red on the breast than this one and very convincing wing triangles:

hope this works first time as the gallery has changed a little.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:58 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

thanks everyone, i've learnt a lot (and got quite mindblown) with your comments. As a newbie to different breeds, i just looked at them both at face value, i.e the white and black markings. i did notice the different comb, though not the legs :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:24 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

For the novice keeper a major difference is the performance of the different breeds. If you are lucky enough to find a line of Colombians that has not been crossed out to large whites ( Kenny Campbell still has these I believe ) you will find they are super hard working as layers. 240 to 260 eggs a year is easily achieved by these wyandottes some doing better.
My Colombians that came from Kenny out work any other "coloured" purebred I've ever kept and lay more and longer than their laced counterparts. Won't compete and win shows against the white crosses.
The blue Colombians I made go harder still.
The Sussex I have kept have been outright lazy in comparison. I don't know of any lines of Sussex that can compete. The uncrossed Colombian is a little smaller than the Sussex and will eat a lil less and being lighter will channel more energy into egg production n less into maintaining mass.
Rose comb will do better in cold climates too.
I have kept and enjoy both breeds enormously. I prefer the look of the Sussex and they make outstanding broodies, the Colombian Wyandotte is the performance king though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:23 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I don't know of any sussex that could compete with a wyandotte for eggs either, but I don't know of any wyandotte that could compete again my sussex for meat. ;-) Different focus despite both being dual purpose. Egg size is similar.

I've seen some fantastic columbian wyandottes up this way. There was some good ones at the Caboolture Combined Feature this year.

Feather Clubs Association of Qld