Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Brahma Breed Profile

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brahma Breed Profile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:01 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Brahma

History

It is not clear where Brahma originated.
There are at least two different theories, one of them stating that they came from India in the region of the Brahmapootra River (hence the name of the breed). The other theory states that there is no evidence at all that they came from India but that they were made in America from a Cochin-type fowl, possibly crossed with a Grey Chittagong, a variety of the Malay.
In Australia, it seems they have been extincted after the second world war. They have then been recreated a few decades ago but they are still a work in process and not anywhere near to the quality found overseas.

General characteristics

Brahmas are a heavy softfeather dual purpose breed. Being very large and gently natured they are often called 'the gentle giants'. Brahmas usually are neither flighty nor nervous or aggressive. The hens are very good broodies and mothers.

Male characteristics
Type:
The body should be broad, square and deep. The back is short, either flat or slightly hollow between the shoulders, the saddle rising half-way between the hackle and the tail until it reaches the tail coverts. The breast is full with a horizontal keel.
The wings are medium sized, with the lower line horizontal, free from twisted or slipped feathers, well tucked under the saddle feathers which should be of ample length.
The tail is of medium length, rising from the line of the saddle and carried nearly upright (65° - 75°), quill feathers well spread, coverts broad and abundant, well curved and almost covering the quill feathers.
Head:
The head is small, rather short, of medium breadth with a dewlap of the upper throat, between the wattles. The brows are clearly prominent over the eyes (beetle brows). The eyes are orange-red, large and prominent. The comb is a triple pea comb, small, closely fitting, drooping behind, without a leader and as little developed as possible. The face is smooth, free from feathers or hairs. The earlobes are fine, longer than the wattles and free from feathers. The beak is yellow or yellow and black. Comb, face, ear-lobes and wattles are bright red.
Neck:
The neck is long, covered with hackle feathers that reach well down to the shoulders, a depression being apparent at the back between the head feathers and the upper hackle.
Legs and feet:
The legs are moderately long, powerful, well apart and feathered. The thighs are large, covered in front by the lower breast feathers. Fluff is soft, abundant, covering the hind parts and standing out between the thighs. The hocks are amply covered with soft rounded feathers or with long soft quill feathers, provided they are accompanied with proportionately heavy shank and foot feathering. The shank feathers are profuse, standing well out from legs and toes, extending under the hock feathers and to the extremity of the middle and outer toes. Profuse leg and foot feathering without vulture hocks is desirable. Four toes, straight and spreading. The legs and feet are orange-yellow or yellow.
Plumage:
The plumage is profuse, but hard and close compared with the Cochin.

Female characteristics
With the exception of the neck and legs, which are rather short, the general characteristics are similar to those of the male, allowing for the natural sexual differences.

Standard Weights

Male 4.55 - 5.45 kg
Female 3.20 - 4.10 kg
Bantam male: 1.19 - 1.42 kg
Bantam female: 1.02 - 1.26 kg

Eggs
light brown, 50-60 g

Colours (as per Australian Poultry Standards 2nd edition)
Buff Columbian, Dark (silver pencilled), Gold (partridge, gold pencilled), Golden Creel, Light (columbian), White

Some nice examples from overseas

All photos with permission of Joachim Dippold, Austria

Serious defects
Comb other than pea comb. Badly twisted hackle or wing feathers. Great want of size in adults. Total want of condition. White legs. Any deformity. Buff on any part of the plumage of the light variety. Much red or yellow in the plumage or much white in the tail of dark males. Utter want of pencilling or patches of red or brown in the plumage of dark females. Split or slipped wings. Lack of dewlap. Lack of feathers on middle toe. Lack of prominent eyebrows.

Clubs
The Brahma & Cochin Club of Australia: http://www.brahmacochin.org/

Sources of information

Australian Poultry Standards, 2nd edition, 2011
Let's talk about Brahma - a rare breed
The Brahma & Cochin Club of Australia
Batty: Brahma & Cochin Poultry
Wright: The Brahma Fowl: A Monograph

Last edited by nostress on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Brahma Breed Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:35 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

That Light columbian looks great! I am biased as Light Sussex are my favourites
:thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:57 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Great Job nostress,
I love the look of that Blue based Buff boy, beautiful.
We used to laugh at the Brahma's as we thought they looked like they were wearing ugg boots. :laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:53 am 

This is a awesome Page i am totally in love with my dark Brahmas and just sent in my membership to the Club here in he USA.
I know i may be pushing it but can i also join clubs in other countries so that i may learn more?