Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Are there breeds that handle the heat better?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:17 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

:?: I don't know if this is the correct forum to ask this question in. Sorry if it isn't.

Are their breeds that handle the heat better than others?

Just wondering as I have yet to settle on any particular breed for our flock and am trying several different ones currently to see which handles our conditions the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:31 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I'm not saying this because I breed Rhode Islands Reds.
this year around Australia (not in my area) a lot of people have lost birds jew to heat.I have not come acoss any one that has lost RIR's in them area's.
They are the tough poultry breed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:56 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

i typed an answer and lost it :aaargh: :aaargh: :aaargh: :aaargh: :aaargh:

anconas and other mediterranean breeds are very good in hot conditions.

any breed will suffer with hot, cold, hot, cold and sudden temperature changes. i find that this is when my birds are more likely to die, than the long continuous stretches of 40+ degrees that we get here in hte wheatbelt. even my silkies and pekins thrive under these conditions.........one important thing is that the birds should not be too fat................they find it harder to cool down when they are overweight.

but, i recommend you try anconas.

does it also get humid where you are, this may make a difference to your breed selection too, our heat tends to be a dry heat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:47 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Mediteranean breed I like minorcas. I would also think light bantams would handle it well like oeg bantams

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:05 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

It does get humid here but luckily today it was a dry heat. I wondered about anconas and I was reading about minorcas today as well but really know very little about either breed. :oops: I am embarressed to say I've never even seen a minorca in the flesh. But I saw some amazing american photos of buff minorcas today that made me drool just a little. They certainly looked magnificent.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Australorps were originally bred with heat in mind, though you wouldn't think so (looking at the black feathers). Unlike some of their input-breeds (notably orpingtons) they were bred with loose feathering for the heat. You might also find the game birds are much better at handling heat -- they don't have the heat-keeping fluff. (Examples are Australian game, Malay game.)

Breeds aside, I had no dramas at all yesterday in 46C heat, and mine are straight-combed crossbreds. They're a quarter supermarket meat hybrid so by rights should have gone belly-up. I didn't hose the pens, didn't do anything, and the birds were certainly hot, but coped. I'm not sure why -- maybe just luck. The heat seriously got to me though -- I had to go to the supermarket just to stay human. :-D

Hope this helps,
Choko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:38 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

choko wrote:
Australorps were originally bred with heat in mind, though you wouldn't think so (looking at the black feathers). Unlike some of their input-breeds (notably orpingtons) they were bred with loose feathering for the heat...
Hope this helps,
Choko

Thanks Choko, actually I have some blue australorps on order to arrive in the week or so. They are bred in the same area so will be trying them out to see how they go!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:44 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

choko wrote:
Australorps were originally bred with heat in mind, though you wouldn't think so (looking at the black feathers). Unlike some of their input-breeds (notably orpingtons) they were bred with loose feathering for the heat. You might also find the game birds are much better at handling heat -- they don't have the heat-keeping fluff. (Examples are Australian game, Malay game.)

Breeds aside, I had no dramas at all yesterday in 46C heat, and mine are straight-combed crossbreds. They're a quarter supermarket meat hybrid so by rights should have gone belly-up. I didn't hose the pens, didn't do anything, and the birds were certainly hot, but coped. I'm not sure why -- maybe just luck. The heat seriously got to me though -- I had to go to the supermarket just to stay human. :-D

Hope this helps,
Choko

That's the secret Chocko,just leave them alone during the day, as long as the have shade & plenty
of water, they will, survive the heat. The other thing that I think that some lose there chooks,is because they are too fat. :?:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:35 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Input from the North Queenslander(s) would be interesting, no?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:38 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I didn't dare comment on the 'fat' question... having failed to handle the heat while the birds were okay. :laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:41 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Well none of ours were fat, most of ours were 16-18 weeks old that we lost yesterday.
The problem is, 1 day is 28deg, then the next is 45deg, then the next is 25deg, the fowl don't get any kind of building up period to be able to cope with the temp, its just BAM, in ya face. No wonder they die.

I think the bantams will handle better than large and I agree that the RIR are a very strong breed and tend to cope well with everything IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:15 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I have standard size Australorps in all the colours and, touch wood, have never lost any due to heat. I don't do anything special for them and have never had a problem. They do get to free range all day though, so I tend to think this might make a difference, they find their own way to cope with the temps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:04 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Hardfeather and game breeds tend to handle the heat relatively well, but the best softfeather breed for the heat is documented to be the Naked Neck. If birds get too fat (any breed) they become a lot more vulnerable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:09 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

I'm not sure whether any particular breed is more susceptible to heat stress than any other. However a sure fire chook saver is the use of water sprinklers on your sheds if your roofs and walls of your sheds are corrugated iron or colourbond. It makes an incredible difference within minutes. I would not recommend spraying the birds direct as this tends to stress them out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:25 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi All,

I agree with other posters, not overcrowding, providing shade and cool fresh water this may need to be twice a day in extreme heat over 35 degrees, water in containers goes hot and birds wont touch it if it is warm, so changing the water in the afternoon also helps with heat stress, You can add ice blocks if you are able in the middle of the day too.

Cheers

Christian