Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - SHAMO’s -Discussion-Progress-Salvaging-Showing ect:-

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:12 am 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

If anyone is interested in some PM me and I will talk to the fellow I know in SE Qld who has some, he's quite willing to share, offered me some for incubating chicks. I've seen them but have no idea if they are the real deal, only saw them once, but he says he has Shamo, pretty sure he said Ko, and Shamo cross. I can see if he will email me some pictures if anyone is interested in them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:31 am 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

pearl eye not every one is lucky to be able to get pure breeds and there are always those who call things pure when they are not. if the original shamo have been lost then it is not fault of the people who are interested in them now or in the future. i for one had a beautiful hen but she went missing one night along with a few other of my large game birds....i would like to think it was a wild dog that did it as i can shoot them.

so i have the cross breeds and i wish i had kept a lot more than i did and crossed them in more specific ways. but i didn't and have only these wishes after learning about them and am still learning. one thing i am finding very difficult is seeing the difference between the thai game and the shamo. some standards for the shamo want a fine narrow shouldered bird and others a wider bigger bodied bird. on looking at schmudde's book the lines of demarkation even between some of the asils and the shamo are very fine.

over the last few years i have developed an eye for the differences in the breeds of orientals, the ko shamo and their off shoots are much easier to depict but the bigger shamo it must me more to do with size and weights. i have no idea where i have put my australian standards at the moment but i know the standard for 'shamo' was pretty bland. what makes my thai game thai and not shamo?:

thai game cockerel ckl 6mths by onlyruff, on Flickr

they breed true:

thai game cock by onlyruff, on Flickr

thai pullet 6 months old by onlyruff, on Flickr

thai cock front sml by onlyruff, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:43 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Very nice looking Cock you have there Ruff, he looks more Asil than anything else to me though, but as you say it can be hard to pick one type from another.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:29 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

i also would of thought more asil than anything else but im no oriental expert. Hopefully ritavaleimbil's lead opens something up for you all. Its the area of the country that ive heard there somewhere about in. I agree with whatelse you've said ruff. As i said its a shame they weren't available to those interested in keeping them going. My only concern has been the method and goal of the breeding programs. I'd love to see an explosion of oriental breeds at pavillions across the country

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:37 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

well pearl eye there is a spare trio of these here, about time you got some.