Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Henfeathered OEG in Australia

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:56 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Looking through Owen Dickey's little book 'The Gamefowl Colour Guide' has reinvigorated my interest in henfeathered OEG.

Can people who have them / know of them please post some pics and information. I recall wineglass having a few.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:25 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Old Guy in the Gold Coast hinterland had a few that were fairly good. Can't put a name to him at present. Can see his face like he was sitting here beside me

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:46 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Its recorded that Compton made a number of importations from Harris , while I dont have the documentation before as I write this , I know a man who has researched this extensively and he has an incredible amount of information on this subject... many hennies were imported into this country .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:29 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

pegawl wrote:
Its recorded that Compton made a number of importations from Harris , while I dont have the documentation before as I write this , I know a man who has researched this extensively and he has an incredible amount of information on this subject... many hennies were imported into this country .

Pegawl, could you perhaps twist your mates arm, to release some of his research material? I would love to know more about Hennies in Australia, past and or present!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:35 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi,

I saw some carlisle type hennies at North Pine Poultry Club show last year, they were DL of the Northern NSW type, similar to OEG shown at Lismore show but partridge in colour. Very interesting as they didnt have any sickle or large tails very female looking in body but male heads if you know what i mean.

I may have photos somewhere give me a while and i will look.
Cheers

Christian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:09 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I'll ask him next time I'm speaking with him Pedro , I posted something before that mentioned Ike Tutty importing hennies to oz from the states...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:32 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thanks I'd appreciated that!

Great looking male above! What is he?

I did have a look back through previous posts, haven't found the Ike Tutty material yet as I been side tracked by other info; but I will read on! But for anyone interested there is invaluable information on previous posts in relation to Gamefowl! Same interference and resistance from bloggers with little or no substantiated information and evidence; but if you comb through it! Priceless!

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:42 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

thanks , he's an irish family I own.......I'm not sure exactly were pedro but think it was in a maude article . I was only reading through some things today and noted that the burg muffs were imported into victoria along with other fowl out of the US , all were considered old english , the author was one of the woods bros.......

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:10 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Still reading; I've been busy for hours! Once again can I say for anyone interested there is invaluable information on previous posts in relation to Gamefowl! Same interference and resistance from bloggers with little or no substantiated information and evidence; but if you comb through it! This material is priceless! :thumbs:

For those uncertain who Harris was, he was a colleague / good mate of Atkinson; both were obviously very fond of Hennies!

It is obvious that Hennies were seen by some of the best gamefowl around that's why they would have been importing them into Australia; if they were good enough for Atkinson and Harris, I would have been keen to import them also!

It seems shows in Australia didn't accommodate them nor see their value as fowl and the history associated with them! Perhaps they didn't conform to what they were chasing or just couldn't contribute to the fads and trends of the last 70 years; so gone are more great lines of fowls!

I have a couple of hennies like the others when they're through the moult; I'll post some photos! But I do like your male pegawl and found a few in the wineglass's gallery! Well worth a look for anyone interested!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:14 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Writing for ‘Poultry Newspaper’ of March 8th 1947, Harry Maude states:

“I can not close this article without some reference to perhaps the greatest fighting game fowl men of all time in Australia – the late Abel Hyde, one time Secretary of the Queensland Turf Club and his brother Bob Hyde of Wangaratta and later Werribee, Victoria. They were the sons of a famous English horse, Greyhound and Game Fowl breeder, Sam Hyde, Kempton Park, in England. Sam Hyde sent out some wonderful Old English Game to his sons, including self blue hennies and several other colours”.

Taken from The Australian Pit Game Fowl, compiled and published by W.J. Plant 1991.

Wouldn’t these fowl be wonderful site! I must keep my eyes peeled when next in Werribee.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:35 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

manna gum wrote:
Wouldn’t these fowl be wonderful site! I must keep my eyes peeled when next in Werribee.

manna gum, mate my guess is you’d be very unlikely to come across any Self Blue Hennies in Werribee!

Unless of cause the Zoo took them on, in one of there conservation projects! More genetic conservation going on at the Werribee Open Range Zoo than in much of the Australian Poultry Fancy!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:04 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

It was just wishfull thinking Pedro; sadly I think you are right. It's not clear what era Maude was writing about. I'd like to know if anyone has further insight.

I saw a nice ginger hennie at Cessnock a few years ago - I believe he was owned by Wineglass. I hear that there's a few blacks up north. Dickey's book has some excellent photos of others including cuckoos, silver creels, greys and orange reds.

Pegawl, he's a nice looking fowl.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:26 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Writing for ‘Poultry Newspaper’ of November 2nd 1935, A. J. Compton states:

“Of the many various colors and feather markings of the henfeather variety of Old English Game, the duckwing (or grey) presents the most striking appearance. It is marvelous to what accuracy of feather properties these can be bred, and it is also a well established fact that, if the stud stock is fairly well bred there will be little or no variation in the progeny. Many splendid specimens have been seen on the show bench from time to time. Mr James Savage, of Hornsby, NSW must be congratulated for the high quality of this variety exhibited by him; other breeders have also done their share in this respect and must be given praise for the high state of perfection attained ….”.

Taken from OEG Colors from A. J. Compton, compiled and published by W.J. Plant 1988.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:32 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Does anyone have any pre 1950's photographs of Australian OE Hennies?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:15 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

One from the Featherworld Yearbook for 1933 by Atkinson.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next