Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Gallus giganteus

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Gallus giganteus
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:34 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I agree with Andy it looks photoshopped.
The posture of the bird looks off for how its being carried, I cant really describe it but its legs and head don't look right. The legs seem to be slack with toes that look like they are off a standing bird and the head/neck looks like it's held too far back considering its weight looks to be centred on the hips.
It's amazing what people can do with photo editing programs so the feathers over his hands would be possible to do.
how tall is the guy supposed to be anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:36 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

It could be possible a childs arms are holding a rather large malay and they have been edited on to his body

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:02 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

chickenPox wrote:
hensbyshenhouse wrote:
what birds would you cross to get a malay?

Inquisitive question. :-?

I see the Malay breed being on top of the chain from most breeds…Taking a rough estimate possibly 80% of all other soft and hard feather breeds carry a degree of Malay blood, from layers to all the current meat breeds, Malay beats the use of all other jungle fowl by far..
Were would anyone start from to re-creating the Malay breed if they became extinct.. I know if I had the opportunity to use overseas breeds, without a doubt I would use wild Saipans and crossed those with a Kulang Aseel or an Iranian Lari…. if a Saipan jungle fowl from the wild is used and crossed with a true Lari strain I think the result would be close to being true Malay..

Using the current Australian breeds it be very limited, large Australian game carries lots of Malay genes, I would cross a male with an Indian game hen, I would use Indian for their facial genes and yellow legs.. I imagine the hardest to achieve would be their strawberry comb, slant eyes and their big cheekbone…When working with any of the Malanoids the golden rule is to always cull/correct for their head and facial genes first.

Edited to correct my spelling from “Lary” to “Lari ”
Hi: I would just like to let you know that some years ago Dr Alice Storey said to me that the chicken is a recent introduction to the island of Saipan.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:23 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

george wrote:
I'm with you there, hbhh: the malay had already evolved these traits before domestication. Why is it that no Bankiva breeds even come close to the Oriental's type, strength and proportions, even though they are/were subject to the same selective pressures in the pit, for as long if not longer than the Oriental? The Spanish game, regarded by many as the archetypal 'Bankiva', and perhaps the oldest lineage if fowl there is, remains more or less unchanged (in type) from the Persian and Roman gamefowl, and more or less unchanged from G. gallus. Why has it not developed an Oriental type when fought naked heel for millennia like the Oriental?
The Bankiva has not changed markedly in type since domestication. It seems possible that the Oriental remains more or less unchanged also.
This is a grate question. The Spanish Game were bred for a very different purpose to that of the Asil / Oriental. The Arab horse and the American quarter horse are both race horses but bred for two different purposes.

Oak, the Spanish Game are naturally small / light weight this is a genetic trait with pure cocks ranging in size from 2 lb 12 oz to 3 lb 12 oz. Hens from 1 lb 12 oz to 2 lb 12 oz. There is a major scientific interest in this breed now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:31 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Surplus Spanish brood cocks like this are sent out to Latin America and the Caribbean where they are bred to their local Creole hens. ....

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:45 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

On the topic of bone marrow. The idea that the leg bones of Malay game contain bone marrow, and that those of other chickens do not, is total nonsense.

Any hen in laying condition will have their leg bones filled with the material Finsterbusch describes. It may not have been known in Finsterbusch's time but the material is there to provide calcium during egg laying. It is very likely that Finsterbusch's comparison between the thigh bones of Malays and bankivas, was based on pullets and cockerels, respectively

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7