Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Bantam Red ancona

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bantam Red ancona
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:08 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Here are a few pictures of my bantam red ancona rooster and hen. I am just getting started in this breed and so far hatched 4 eggs(of course 3 roosters and one pullet). The pullet will be added to the breeders and one roo will be a back up.

I think they are a beautiful looking breed and am very excited to have these. I have had standard sized black anconas for years.

Enjoy the pics.

Post subject: Re: Bantam Red ancona
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:15 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Great little birds and no doubt good layers . I have seen a few good Reds in bantam around of late . Yours are as good as any I have seen . Keep up the good work with them and not sure if you know reds are only in Australia as I understand . Thank you for posting the photos .
Is the female in the last photo your pullet ? I ask this since I would expect the comb over in an older bird ( as you would know from your large birds )

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:22 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Martin,

No unfortunately (comb wise) she is the elder hen. The pullet's comb is still too immature to tell yet how it will end up. I agree the elder girl's comb should be over but isn't. The rooster I think is a really good speciman and from a totally different line to the hen, so hopefully breeding will produce hens with the correct comb. Only time will tell.

Thanks for the imput.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:39 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

This can be a bit of an issue with the reds . I know when Ron Meanwell made a line in Sydney ( and most reds would have come from these in bantam ) he used OEG to get the red in . Sadly Ron is no longer with us so we can't ask him, but I feel the comb is a throw back to the OEG .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:05 am 

They are gorgeous! I'd love to get some one day. Seem to be very hard to find though

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:11 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Lovely dark eye colour.
We had some at our show a few weeks back, I don't breed them so I can't comment on how good they were, but I much preferred them to the blacks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:39 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Your boy is lovely, l'm no expert but l know what l like! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:05 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thanks bwds. I think he is a ripper too. I am not a person who shows birds, with kids and animals and property I really don't have the time but I reckon we would do well in a competition.
Its funny how you can just look at birds all the time and then all of a sudden one just stands out to you. He is the one that I really appreciate more than any other of my roosters. I have quite a few and have had many over the years but I can see all of his good points.
Have had a few eggs lately but infertile. I did get fertile eggs from him earlier this year so hoping soon things will improve and as breeding season kicks in I can get some going and get them out there for others to breed.
Cheers,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:32 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Just a follow up for those who commented on this thread last year.

The younger pullet has now matured and she and a second I bred and kept have combs that flop over. The hen whose comb doesn't is in the pen that produces my kitchen eggs.

So it took a year and a bit and two lines but now I have a really well marked and built trio.

I hope this breed becomes more popular as they are good layers and very attractive to look at.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:08 pm 

I have the red bantam who is 3 years old and so tiny. She is as attractive as the above pics have shown.

However, she is not much bigger then a pigeon and we get maybe 3 eggs a year.

She is speedy, will lay in our arms on her back and go to sleep but at the slightest noise she is off. A personality all of her own and she is now the big boss of the hen house - so dominant and demanding not to mention loud and very chatty. She never shuts up as other members have previously mentioned. Her comb flops completely over. And even though we don't get eggs often I wouldn't be without her purely for the entertainment value she provides.

Our fertile eggs hatched 3 days ago and we have an ancona red again but a hen this time. It hasn't shut up either!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:33 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

They are stunning looking birds. I saw a trio for sale at my local produce store a few years ago and have been sorry ever since that I didn't buy them!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:40 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Wonderful pics and animals. I'm looking for red ancona standard...Does anyone can help me?