Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Breeds Chart based on Australian experience

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:11 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Yes, the leg colour can be different to skin colour alone (multiple genes/loci involved, eg Polish have white skin but dark legs -except cuckoo, etc) & silkies have both white skin allele plus Fm gene, the latter giving the mulberry face & dark flesh, etc.

So leg colour would need to be a separate category to skin colour, but this would get lengthy as there tends to be multiple leg colours to alot of breeds, usually associated with specific plumage colour/pattern variety (eg, Modern Games have willow, yellow, black with yellow soles, etc leg colours, but each only allowed with specific varieties). But with all breeds (with a few exceptions, eg OEG, Pit Game), usually they are only allowed one skin colour (can't have both white or yellow legs segregating - usually one is a disqualification).

Skin colour alone I suppose is more important to utility: meat qualities. Eg some countries prefer white skin chicken meat (UK, traditionally alot of Europe, Aust. etc), some prefer yellow skin chicken meat (USA, Asian countries, etc), plus some prefer dark meat as with silkies (China, etc). Therefore, yes, better put Silkies into a separate dark (?) skin category :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:39 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I see where you are coming from. On reflection I think I should probably include both. I'll try putting it on the same column. I'm still fiddling with the pictures and haven't really got going on the information yet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:56 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Almost there with photos but just missing a final few. Has anybody got examples of these that they don't mind being used?

Transylvanian Naked Neck - male
Spanish - female
New Hampshire - Female
New Hampshire - Male
Marans - male
Jungle fowl - Male
Jungle fowl - Female
Andalusian - Male
American gamefowl - female
Legbar - Male
Legbar - Female
Cochin - Male
Cochin - Female

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:56 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I can get a few Red Jungle Fowl photos uploaded and possibly a Silver Grey Dorking male and an Andalusion male.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:58 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

That would be fantastic. Thanks. They would need to be pictures that you have taken yourself or from someone who has given permission for them to be used here. :-D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:02 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

The Jungle Fowl I have bred myself and the other two are birds my grandad bred.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:03 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Perfect!

I had a number of kind people donate their photos to the project which is very generous of them.

The best pics are those where I can see the feet as well and I can cut out the background behind the fowl so that I can make a file with a transparent background.

I know some of the pictures I have in there at the moment are not the best, but I've worked with what I had. If anybody wants to contribute a better one, I can replace any of them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:59 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Faverolles

Varieties: Salmon, White, Blue, Black, Ermine, Cuckoo, Birchen, Blue Salmon and Buff

Comb Type: Single Comb

Skin Colour: White

Weights:

Large Bantam

Cock 3.60-4.55 kg 1.14-1.36 kg

Hen 2.95-3.85 kg 0.91-1.135 kg

Cockerel 2.95-4.1 kg

Pullet 2.7-3.6 kg

Egg Colour: Tinted

Broodiness: In my experience Faverolles going broody is uncommon but birds that do go broody will often go broody again.

Feeding: Moderate consumption rate

Temperament: Docile

Table value: Moderate to high

Breed Club: Faverolles Australia
http://faverolles-australia-inc.webnode.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:04 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thanks. I'll put them in now.

I'm just thinking about the weights. I'm wondering if what I started doing is too much information to the purpose of this grid. Should I reduce it to softfeather large, softfeather bantam, hardfeather large, hardfeather bantam? More categories rather than details of weight?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:01 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Personally I think that those sorts of categories would be the most helpful. The chart is mainly aimed at people new to chooks who are choosing a breed, and they may not know how big 2kg of chook is. But the terms 'bantam' and 'large' are likely to mean something.

Thanks for your work on this, CO7, it's going to be a fabulous resource.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:08 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Feel free to use any of the Barnevelder photos I have ever posted here if you need them. Some may not be good enough, but you never know.
I think this is such a great idea!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:26 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thanks Coops. That's a generous offer. I hope all is well in the Northern Hemisphere. :-D

I'm still plugging away on the chart.

I'm looking for a good marans male, cochins, an American Game female (tough one), Asil (another tough one), Jungle Fowl female, New Hamps, TNN male and legbars. I'm giving myself rsi cutting out images with my mouse. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:05 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It's growing.

http://www.backyardpoultry.com/wiki/ind ... eeds_Chart

Would people please check up on the breeds that they know and suggest any changes or additions?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:22 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Chicken07 wrote:
Would people please check up on the breeds that they know and suggest any changes or additions?

• Campine, is a hennie breed therefore rooster should not have sickles otherwise it would make it that other breed not sure how to spell their name ( Brakel something with a similar name)..( You could use same pic and cut the sickles short in a circular shape ).

• Indian game eggs in the wrong column.

• You have put Sumartran eggs in cream although you stated white ( white is correct but you put the wrong colour down ).

• Wrong colour for Croads eggs, they should be purple/pink/mauve mixed together similar to a dark plum.

• The brown shade for brown eggs could be improved, darker chocolate brown for Marans and lighter brown for Welsummers.. ( but I suppose for our Australian Welsummers you might as well put cream :bg ).

• Malay comb Strawberry to Walnut.

• Yokohama comb Pea to Walnut.

Last edited by chickenPox on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:53 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

True the campine male is carrying a slightly too long main tail feather but the biggest problem with his pic is that the bird is not balanced.

I won't pick out specific breed pics but some are not really a true representation of the breed. Is it possible to access Andy Vardy's treasure trove of pictures.

Aussie Langshans take a fair amount of persuasion to go broody so I would class them as rare broodies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next