Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Breeds Chart based on Australian experience

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:07 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

chickenPox wrote:
Campine, is a hennie breed therefore rooster should not have sickles otherwise it would make it that other breed not sure how to spell their name ( Brakel something with a similar name)..

Thanks for the feedback chickenpox. I've changed them for a couple of others. Do you think it's an improvement?

DenisL wrote:
I won't pick out specific breed pics but some are not really a true representation of the breed. Is it possible to access Andy Vardy's treasure trove of pictures.

Yes, Andy wouldn't mind. It would just be a matter of finding the right one. It's not as easy as you might think.

I've entered your comment regarding Aussie Langshan's broodiness. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:34 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Those Campines are worse, that roo also has sickles plus the photos are dark, the other hen was nicer pic you could see the pattern/stripes but not with these pics currently on..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:37 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

OK. Early ones returned.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:45 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

looking really great,
well done cathy and contributers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:26 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

70%cocoa wrote:
Personally I think that those sorts of categories would be the most helpful. The chart is mainly aimed at people new to chooks who are choosing a breed, and they may not know how big 2kg of chook is. But the terms 'bantam' and 'large' are likely to mean something.

Thanks for your work on this, CO7, it's going to be a fabulous resource.

Agree on all counts Rach - and would like to add that the suggestion that feed consumption rates of "moderate" etc also may not mean much to inexperienced folk (or even experienced folk who have only ever had the one breed!)

The cup measure used early on in this thread might be more helpful, perhaps combined with a comparative reference so people can learn which breeds are more/less expensive to feed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:53 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

TookTook wrote:
Agree on all counts Rach - and would like to add that the suggestion that feed consumption rates of "moderate" etc also may not mean much to inexperienced folk (or even experienced folk who have only ever had the one breed!)

The cup measure used early on in this thread might be more helpful, perhaps combined with a comparative reference so people can learn which breeds are more/less expensive to feed.

It's a good idea and I'd be happy to have it there but I'm not sure how you could define those amounts so accurately with so many different variables. It would be possible to get it for some commercial hybrids where this sort of data is collected. Do you have a source of that information for purebreeds? I don't measure my birds' consumption but I can tell you which birds eat more or less than others.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:15 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Good point - perhaps more then if people know it from their own experience, encourage them to add it as "extra" helpful info?

I definitely found it helpful when Pam told me how much a Jap ate daily on average just so I could keep the Dine a Chook feeder stocked appropriately when we went away and how big a bag of micro pellets to feed just the Japs for a specific period.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:59 pm 

This is a great chart - interesting and useful, however I wish to take issue with the claim that Plymouth Rocks are rarely broody. My two from different clutches came home a year ago, didn't lay until spring and have been broody ever since!
One is particularly recalcitrant and determined - just maddening!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:07 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thanks for the update. I'm happy to change it. :-D

What would be more accurate? Occasionally broody?

Unfortunately a lot of the information that is collated on particular breeds can be outdated depending on how lines of fowls develop and change in Australia.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:35 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Great breed chart, but could u get rid of those ugly pictures of the Cochins they in NO way represent the breed and Do NOT represent the breed standard other than they have some footfeather. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:44 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Sure. Can do. I will swap them over if you give me some better examples or let me know of ones that are already on here that are better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:39 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks so much for this chart! I have always looked for something like this, but only ever found one obscure outdated American one. It is such a valuable resource.

Now if only my chooks would behave themselves and act like the chart says. There is so much variation even within one breed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:27 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I think the correct description for the Croad egg is "plum" though I'm not sure if they really exist in that colour in Australia. Are they out there somewhere?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:00 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi Cathy. I suggest that this chart should also include some chooks that are "BRANDS" rather than "BREEDS" as this is often misunderstood - eg Isa Brown, Loman, Hi Line
Here's an interesting link:http://www.suburbanchooks.com.au/information-sheets/isa-brown-information/
Not sure how to turn this into an active link help please

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:42 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Perhaps that is the topic of a secondary chart. If someone does the research and lists the information in here, I will add it to the page.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next