Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - For Those interested In Sicilian Buttercups & Hornets

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:45 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

The Sicilian variety horned isolated existed for cultural reasons.
The people believed it was the devil and protected by the Archangel Gabriel.
We have photos of the 1980 of these chickens, I breed a line very old, has all the characters in homozygous. These photos are from 1980. Sicilian people is attached to the Catholic religion is combining the sacred and the profane. Not found in books and google are oral traditions from father to son. My grandmother to breed these chickens many years ago.

From Cirasa Giovanni

The photos on the above like to Sicilian Buttercups Hornets & Unicorns Group Page

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:57 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

The other importer of Buttercups to Australia 15/03/15

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/42910315?searchTerm=Sicilian%20buttercup&searchLimits=

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:40 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

byhookorchook just post an article in "British Hornets" in my gallery. Cant post from iPhone will try to add a few more articles later.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 768.4 KiB | Viewed 4056 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:42 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Reference please Pedro?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:44 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

My reference is "I'm having trouble" it can wait!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:45 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Fair enough :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:42 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

That is all quite exciting and interesting information. Red Cap, Pheasant Fowl, Hamburgs as an ingredient , buttercups and Marsh Daisy all appear intertwined.

Losing a Hornet male is never the end of the world. I've already proven a HETREZYGOTE of one sex mated to a rose comes hamburg gives rise to HOMOZYGOTE horned fowl. Horns bred to rose give rise to buttercup combs, various rose "types" including red cap etc.

What is interesting is that horns being a kind of end of line as splash is in colour between white black blue disappeared in UK according to the article above. Possibly too obscure a breed to gain enough of a following large enough to sustain it before falling into obscurity.

The variety isn't unattractive , lays well so why the decline. After all, the La Flèche enjoyed notoriety for the same precise attributes EXCEPT it was produced in self colours and black legs not willow.

I would very much like to get the reference to this article. I thank you Pedro for putting it up and sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:04 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Amazing photos there Frank. Great combs on those 1980 shots.

Pedro's images:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:19 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Thanks for bringing that forward. Plenty there to look at but one thing is immediately obvious. The Yorkshire type did not break the pleiotropic effect if cerebral hernia horns and tufts on the head. This gives more an appearance of Appenzeller

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:35 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Also, I'm tipping the Yorkshire Hornet pre 1913 was unrelated to the Sicilian Hornet or Butrcups of the day. Just that the same basic genetic of duplex comb and rose were in play

Bottom of third page says Fancy Fowl January. This mag has back copies just need the year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:56 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I breed the Sicilian horned, long horns, this is a very rare breed.
Someone explain this type of genetically crest?
The Yorkshire breed has similarities with the Polverara,for information about this race (polverara)you can see on this blogg Italian.
http://oryctesblog.blogspot.it/2012/12/polverara-discussioni-e-progetti-una.html

Attachments:
galletti corn salvo.jpg
galletti corn salvo.jpg [ 10.04 KiB | Viewed 4024 times ]
metro cornuto.jpg
metro cornuto.jpg [ 117.11 KiB | Viewed 4024 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:26 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

The article pulled together by chicken07

"Tracking down the Yorkshire Hornet" by S.A. Rice; FANCY FOWL - January 1997

byhookorchook don't rush out chasing it just yet! I have multiple copies of some of these issues give me a week or two! Came across this by change was after another article!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:25 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Just uploaded x9 images into my gallery they run in sequence; of interest to byhookorchook. Sorry can't put together into this thread! iPhone has beat me! The last is the first if interested in reading in full!

Feathered World literature; S H LEWER 1924

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:55 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I am not sure about the intended order here but here are the pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:41 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Much to digest from those articles. Firstly, if Leghorns get used as cross to make self colours, almost always gives a similar lean to the combs of progeny.

The Flowerbird described as being directly imported from Sicily. I'm not so sure on that one as one just wouldn't see them in Siciliy by colour or size as decribed. I'm tipping to get to bantam wieght, quite likely Red Jungle fowl were used. You can also see the description talking about rich mahogany in males but two shades of weaton in females, just like dark and light brown leghorns.

I've derived brown buttercups through the use of Gold Spangled and many old timers incluing Lance Hicks advised me the mixing of all colours usually leads back to brown.

absolutely agree with the description of buttercup comb in being circular, closed at rear, even sprigs not up and down or of various lengths, delicate like a flower in fact. Not overly large, square, thick, unevenly sprigged, coarse etc. As I've gone around shows etc, I have seen some "roughies" indeed and in back yards, Buttercups are pointed out to by name only, as one suely would not have recognised it as such by appearance. Unfortunately as desperate as people are to obtain some, the enthusuiasm is so often behind a lack of knowledge over appearance, they will purchase almost anything resembling what they are looking for, which thereafter only leads others astray and overpopulates the fancy with incorrect specimen.

Pity the imports didn't get through but the recontruction now is so close to finish line that patience is now of the essence and very solid specimens will become available sooner rather than later that will leave little for the breeder to refine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next