Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Are there any dark egg laying Welsummers in Australia?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:18 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

It seems Australian Welsummers have largely lost the ability to lay really dark rich brown/terracotta eggs like you see overseas. Instead they appear a lighter brown to tinted colour instead.

Does anyone know of a strain or breeder who's Wellies still lay a dark egg?

I'd love to know if you do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:53 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

The same thing has happened to Barnevelder in terms of egg colour . People have breed for show and not egg colour , as such difficult to find birds now laying the correct egg colour .
I know of one Wellie breeder in central NSW that has dark egg laying birds and another in QLD. PM me if you would like their contact details .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:19 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

This is one of my pet peeves too. When appearance on the show bench overrides the other breed traits. Araucanas with green or even white eggs, Leghorns with high levels of broodyness, Welsummers that lay pale eggs....

I dont think those abberants are the breed type anymore, but don't have a solution to the problem unfortunately.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:44 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

andrewschooks wrote:
When appearance on the show bench overrides the other breed traits.

I'm not sure if this really applies to Welsummers. True there are some fine Welsummers being shown - just look at the light breed soft champion from Adelaide Royal last year, but, in general I do not see a lot of welsummers at club shows. I know 2 breeders in my home State that show their stock but still are able to produce a good dark brown egg.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:24 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

When you start talking about egg colour it is hard without something to compare to.

ML why dont you post a pick of the pale welsummer eggs that you are dissapointed with and others might then be able to determine how theirs stack up in comparison.

Cheers
Greg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:44 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

How dark do you call dark? My Welsummers's eggs are a very dark rich brown all with evan darker brown spots.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:34 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I'm very new here but would be interested to hear from anyone who had darker welsummer eggs. I'm currently incubating some 'welsummer' eggs but my husband picked them up and they could be described as caramel at best. When I queried it with the breeder they assured me that not all welsummers have dark eggs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:41 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

If they are like Marans at all, the hens who lay the most eggs will start laying lighter coloured eggs towards the end of their season. Of course good egg laying is a trait that you want too, so need to strike a balance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:47 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

andrewschooks wrote:
.... Araucanas with green or even white eggs. .... I dont think those abberants are the breed type anymore, but don't have a solution to the problem unfortunately.

This is something I'm agonising (mildly) about. I'm told I should be looking to improve my Araucanas both in better physical points, correct this and that, plus not mix colours but breed fixed colour pens, black without bronzeing etc. It was egg colour that started me with them - I am now achieving a good reliable blue egg without green or white - but my best blue egg producers are not show type or colour perfect. My inclination is to continue to breed for the egg colour for a year or two (before trying to breed for showing as well, and risk making a pigs ear of both goals).

Same with Marans - whether to cull everything related to birds that seem to be from a 'softer' or less hardy line - or stick to thinking about egg colour as main purpose, wait til dark brown eggs are reliable, then start to work on stronger birds. And that's not even looking at show quality, just hardiness.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:13 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

It should be a case of beautiful is as beautiful does and performance over appearance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:32 am 

Welsummer egg colour.
I'd love to see some other photos.
Does any one have any Avgen blood birds and what is their egg colour?

Attachments:
File comment: My Welsummer pullet (2017 hatched) eggs.
The 6 darkest are all from one pullet and the others are more like my usual agg colour.

IMG_8809.JPG
IMG_8809.JPG [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 357 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:11 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Attachment:
wellie between marans.jpg
wellie between marans.jpg [ 632.38 KiB | Viewed 350 times ]
I too have been on the search for a couple of years for dark egg Wellies and have suffered the same frustration finding them as I did finding 'brown egg' Marans and 'blue egg' Araucana! I've lost count of the number of times I have been disappointed (by the colour AND size) by supposed dark brown or deep blue eggs from breeders. I know that egg colour is almost impossible to capture in a picture, but an assurance from a breeder that they have been working on egg size and colour should (in my opinion) result in something darker brown than a commercial brown layer and bigger in size than a bantam egg!
I too would love to hear from anyone who is willing to share with me some of their dark brown Wellie genetics!
For those of you who are, like me, visual people - here is a pic to show the contrast between two of the most recent 'dark egg' Welsummer eggs I received and four of my own Marans egg.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:23 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Interesting difference there philthomas. A local Welsummer owner has told me their Welsummer eggs are just as dark as their Marans lay. (Maybe the Marans are not very good, helping to even them out - I have not seen them). Won't be visiting til late June but will remember to follow up.

Andrew Brown your hen's eggs are great colour - what State are you in? Will you be selling any eggs or chicks this season?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:39 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Andrew Brown - pm'd you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:24 pm 

Thanks PC,
I've been breeding to the standard for about 7 years now including egg colour. My original birds layed nice brown speckeled eggs and I line bred them for 4 years then bought a trio of well bred birds from Goulburn NSW. I naively assumed all Welsummers laid dark brown eggs until the new pullets started to lay only tinted eggs. I didn't breed from the pullets but used the cockerel. I have since been crossing back to my original line and am pleased with the egg colour as shown above, from last seasons hatch.
I'm at Junortoun, not far from you!