Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - BLG Wyandotte pullet - one of my keepers

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:51 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

This is one of my keepers from last years breeding; out of 40 pullets ive kept 3, and its good to see some improvements, she has better type than her mum and i love her ground colour and size , she's just lacking in hackle lacing and quite shafty feathering, but overall.. ...im pretty darn happy to see how things are moving forward :yess
(and not backwards as i was fearing :-D ).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:23 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I think she is lovely Angel and glad things are moving forward for you :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:36 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Thanks Redjohanna,
i am pleased that i had some improvements - hopefully more again next season :-D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:21 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

She looks a lot like the hen you now have that was our best, or at least when she was a pullet anyway, minus the shafting.
I find shafting a real pain, it's always the best typed ones that seem to have it the worst.

In any case Deb, she is a lovely pullet & will not be out of place in any show pen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:33 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Thanks Lacy , im very happy with how this ones turned out....but oh what to do about the shafting, is it from having silverlaced crossed into them way back at some stage ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:46 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

If she is from our line, there is a slight chance there could be silver lace going back many years it wasn't added by us, but we did have a couple of hens from another line, actually the biggest splash you have there from ours, it is possible she has silver in her ancestry & she is the Mother of Zeus & the other boy.

We have a mixture here as far as shafting goes, the ones that have it the worst are the powder blue ones, unfortunately I think it is now just an inherent problem with gold Wyandottes.

As you breed over the next few seasons, just try to select away from it as much as possible, it's a bit like peppering some will have it others not so much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:55 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

A lot of the time these heavily shafted fowls have more of a brown colour minus the reddish bay tones. According to 'old breeders' wisdom, crossing to a rhode island red will help get rid of shafting. I think introducing extra melanisers and mahogany helps to cover it up. A shortcut would be to cross to a red laced where those melanisers are stronger to get more colour into the blue or gold laced. There are downsides to doing it, however.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:13 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

If you have long term breeding plans with them I think a separate mating to a close typed RIR is a good option, we are sorely disappointed that our big red boy was taken by the fox, it would have been great to see what he would have produced this season, we are planning to try it again just to see what the results are.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:56 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The downside of using a rhode island red is that you introduce straight comb, split all the lacing genes and destroy type. You can get all that back again given enough time but if you have access to a decent red laced wyandotte, you can avoid most of those problems and shorten the time taken to get back on track. RIR is the source of the colour in the red laced so it's a just a giant shortcut.

If doing either of those crosses it would be helpful to label the chicks so you can see the results of the experiment and keep your other pens free of any potential problems.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:47 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

i don't know much about blg wyandottes, but she is a handsome bird

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:15 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Chicken07 wrote:
A lot of the time these heavily shafted fowls have more of a brown colour minus the reddish bay tones. According to 'old breeders' wisdom, crossing to a rhode island red will help get rid of shafting. I think introducing extra melanisers and mahogany helps to cover it up. A shortcut would be to cross to a red laced where those melanisers are stronger to get more colour into the blue or gold laced. There are downsides to doing it, however.

Thats a really interesting observation re the ground colour tone and shafting.
Will definitely be keeping my young up n coming cockerel now, hes dark reddish bay - no shafting , he may be perfect to use down the track.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:22 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Lacy wrote:
If you have long term breeding plans with them I think a separate mating to a close typed RIR is a good option, we are sorely disappointed that our big red boy was taken by the fox, it would have been great to see what he would have produced this season, we are planning to try it again just to see what the results are.

I remember the photos you put up of him, he was a very handsome fella.

I'll grow out the young well coloured cockerel i have , his ground colour is great (to my eyes) in the flesh he looks mahogany red bay in tone, the blue in his lacing's a little dark - but very minimal shafting if any.
I will have to get another photo of him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:24 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

And thanks Caladenia :thumbs: , she has surprised me with how shes filled out, and very easy to handle.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:48 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

If we were still focusing on BLG as our main colour, I would be crossing to the RIR again & starting a new line bred from the F1 cockerel.
Still keeping our original line going but having this one running along side. I don't know that crossing to a BLR is going to rid the shafting altogether as they do have slight shafting in them, not as bad as gold laced but still there.

Another possible solution is to cross to a red Wyandotte if you can find one, so in theory all you need to repair is the lacing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:55 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Heres another of my keepers, ground colour not as dark or even, but she is a big girl and i like her