Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - green eggs, how did this happen? **lots of pics**

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:41 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

andrew's a more experienced breeder than me. I just bung birds together and get interesting offspring. :)

However, my thinking was to get Rooster B out of the equation as quickly as possible because while he produces blue egglayers, we don't know if he might occasionally throw a non-blue egglayer.

first cross = blue Australorp * brown leghorn cockerel = F1 pullet and cockerel.
second cross = F1 cockerel over blue Australorp and wait to see which F1 pullets lay blue eggs. Once you know, put Rooster B over her. (If you still have him).
third cross = this is where you find out whether the Leghorn infusion is actually working or not, and decide whether to start bringing the breeding in-house, so to speak, to fix the colour you've got, or add more Leghorn. In-house means using cockerels from the best-coloured eggs over girls laying and from the best-coloured eggs.

That's my thinking, anyway ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:50 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

If you have the pens you could take both approaches. Either way only half the progeny will have the blue egg gene.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:18 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

andrewschooks wrote:
Assuming your pedigree is correct, we already know that Rooster B has the genotype Oo (ie he has one copy of the blue gene O and one for white o). So half his progeny will inherit O from him.

yep pedigree is correct, the only other roosters were a bantam white X and a Brown leghorn neither of which were going to give me blue and lacing

andrewschooks wrote:
If you have the pens you could take both approaches. Either way only half the progeny will have the blue egg gene.

I do have two pens and the 'blue Australorp' was already planned to be stuck in with one of my Brown Leghorns so looks like I am going to have a play around with blue egg genetics

I started reading chicken genetics at edelras and ended up @thecoop reading about a gene that suppresses brown colour in White Leghorn eggs... :Boggle

ye gods and little fishes! I think I might grab a few drinks before I try tackle those sites again

Anyway so I should do something like this for the start?
Attachment:
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG [ 54.32 KiB | Viewed 7311 times ]

Then breed blue eggers to blue eggers

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:28 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

The problem is that you don't know if any of the rooster progeny you breed possess the gene till some daughters from matings with white egg layers start laying. So the only rooster you canbe sure of in the short term is B.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:34 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

andrewschooks wrote:
...the only rooster you canbe sure of in the short term is B.

thanks andrewschooks and infoaddict, looks like that rooster is getting a really cushy life for a number of years - really happy he is a gentle guy

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:32 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Some lovely green eggs by infoaddict.

Some silkie eggs by neil.

A blue egg by ~ CC ~ (too much calcium in the diet there).

A really true blue one is quite rare. Usually they are various shades of green.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:08 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I love the white and the blue eggs of the top photo. I'll just have to wait and see what I get from my brown leghorn crosses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:26 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

It may take a couple of generations to get rid of brown pigments - they can be very persistent!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:24 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

That's okay I wasn't going to hold my breath anyway. If I get a green egg that's fine, brown that's okay too, white no worries, blue would be fantastic but it's all good I had intended to pair them up with the brown leghorns anyway it just so happens that my girl decided to give me a surprise.

This is the offspring from (B) and one of my silver spangled hamburghs she (?) is 20 weeks old

When do Hamburghs start laying? Also my Hamburghs lay a medium sized slightly tinted egg - a sort of shine is the best way I can describe it

Forgetting brown for the moment what effect does the shiny tint have on a blue egg?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:43 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

She should start laying at about six months of age. There's a 50% chance that her eggs will be blue/green. If so shed be a good candidate for your plan to mate to a Brown Leghorn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:27 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I put the blue laced - green egg layer in with a brown leghorn cockerel and two of the offspring were pullets.

One looks like a black utility 'Australorp' and the other looks like a poor type brown leghorn crossbreed with white legs. I have run out of data so will have to wait a week or so for decent pics.

But I couldn't wait to show this pic. One of the young girls has just started laying a powder blue egg - not sure which one yet but this was a surprise;
Attachment:
blue egg double yolk.JPG
blue egg double yolk.JPG [ 769.19 KiB | Viewed 7233 times ]

The top egg shell is from the mother and is normal sized egg yolk, the bottom pullet egg is from her offspring and was a double yolker. Everyone of these tiny blue eggs has been a double yolker so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:14 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Good gracious. That's amazing. Hope she settles down soon!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:14 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Right so one of these two girls is laying the blueish egg. It was a little bigger today and not as blue as the previous days but still a double.

This is the two of them a while ago

The girls just did not want their photos taken today and these photos do not do them justice. The brown one is plump and really well feathered, my brown leghorns look positively ratty beside her.

The black one has blue, green and purple sheen to her feathers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:06 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

That last photo Milo - she looks like she's window shopping

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:58 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Either separate them for a couple of days until you find out who is laying the blue eggs, or paint one of their vents with red food dye. You will see streaks on the egg.