Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Breeding Barnevelders

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Breeding Barnevelders
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:33 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I will soon be selecting this years' rooster to put to my Large Double Laced Barnevelder Girls. I will shortlist by type, select the best leg colour (which was much better in last seasons hatch than in previous)
I want to improve size - is this is done thru the girls??
What do I select for in regards lacing ? Do I choose a male with more lacing or a darker chest if I want to improve lacing in the females.
The reading that I have done seems to indicate that the show boys are not the best ones to use in the breeding pen but there is no mention of 'pullet breeders' Overseas information suggests that the less laced boys are used to produce the better laced females. Is this the case with the Australian birds?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:52 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm also interested in this??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:05 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

me too! Someone out there should know..we hope.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:58 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

When I tried to find out a couple of years ago I was told that it had got 'political' and no one seemed prepared to restart the battle.
:swords: :swords:
Unfortunately the old Barnie Breeders who used to post on here are no longer around.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:51 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

The battle was probably if i remember in references was about base colour and under fluff, grey and white.if iam correct Sue the best base would be eb with grey under fluff same as in the wyandottes, i know my barnies are on the eb base. Is your roo on this base or ewh. Do you have a mixture of bases with splits like i do with my blr bantam wyandottes.
I think if you have an eb based roo that would be the best choice., unfortunately I dont have actual breeding experience with barnies and am just going by experience with wyandottes and i think that base genetics is similar.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:24 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It went a bit deeper than that. The earlier/better Barnies were (I think) ewh. There was some disagreement about the degree of breast lacing on the male to produce the better laced hens and whether or not a good show male would produce good females - there are not 'officially' cockerel and pullet breeding lines.
My original birds were hatching both eb and ewh but I suspect that I have unconsciously been selecting for eb. I do use eb roosters but no idea which hen carries what.
Waiting to see what hatches this season. Last season (thanks to Dottesnsilks) I got my head around some of their genetics, and yes Barnies and Wyandottes are similar re breeding.

Is this the thread you were referring to?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8036389&hilit=Barnevelders.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:12 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Yes it is Sue, will be interesting to see the replies to this post.would be nice to see some photos of this years breeding stock, i liked the ones you had at the goulburn auction, especially the blue laced.i am always drawn to the blue chooks :roll: . Even though in my head it isn't blue but black dilute. As iam used to blue thats in birds such as parrots which is a true blue.in easterns rosellas there is dilute mutation which once again dilutes black but doesn't effect the red, yellow pigment.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:07 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

from memory to improve the lacing on the girls you needed a dark thick single laced male yes and to improve size mostly was from the hen side.