Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Barnevelders

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Barnevelders
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:07 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

OK Dottes, not so "horrible" now that they are dry. 3 hens, 3 pullets and a cockerel. I know that they are not the best representations of the breed but they are likely (hopefully not) the only Barnevelders on show. My aim is to put the breed up in public.

All have had a post bath dust with DE and cornflour to encourage them to preen - their personal care is up to them for the next couple of days.

Attachments:
File comment: Cockerel 1
P1030851.JPG
P1030851.JPG [ 158.19 KiB | Viewed 2088 times ]
File comment: Pullet 1
P1030821.JPG
P1030821.JPG [ 155.66 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]
File comment: Pullet 2
P1030825.JPG
P1030825.JPG [ 169.08 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]
File comment: Pullet 3
P1030834.JPG
P1030834.JPG [ 171.63 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]
File comment: Cockerel 1
P1030855.JPG
P1030855.JPG [ 159.89 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]

Last edited by sue55 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:10 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

More photos - the hens.

Attachments:
File comment: Hen 1
P1030792.JPG
P1030792.JPG [ 152.72 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]
File comment: Hen 2
P1030798.JPG
P1030798.JPG [ 157.51 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]
File comment: Hen 3
P1030810.JPG
P1030810.JPG [ 172.04 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:23 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Aaaah, much better Sue. Really like the markings of pullet 1 and the shape of pullet 2. Hen 1 is very nice also. She has that motherly/authoritative look about her eye.

Thanks for putting them up, i hope you get some competition on the weekend.

Shane.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:00 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Just reassessing hen 3. If she doesn't stand better than that, she might be staying home.
Problem is that they are all so friendly that they wanted to talk to the camera, not stand still to be photographed.

Last edited by sue55 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:02 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Take her anyway Sue, someone might see her and think "i can do better than that". Competition is what you want after all.

Shane.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:03 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

They all look wonderful, Sue.
Pullet 2 is my favourite.
Lovely leg colour you have there. Is that all genetics or is it also the green diet they are getting?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:29 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Leg colour is basically genetic and has greatly improved from my original birds. They do get some free range and for the past month have been fed 50/50 showbird MP and Lauke 17 (which lists maize but not corn). Some are still dusky - apparently this can be a problem in hens more than roosters (partial sex link)

A good ref. for leg colour
view topic http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations2.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:52 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks, Sue. Thanks for the reference -- will have a read about all these 'mutations'.
I will have to start selecting for yellow legs.
Would love to end up with the same yellow.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:29 pm 

Thanks for the pic's started breeding last year and this year a put new cockerel into the mix. hope to show next year to see what judges think.

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:54 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hello Peter, nice to see someone else on here with Barnies. Please keep contributing and keep us updated with your progress.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:46 am 

Thanks Sue55, have been following but don't say much, but now and again I do, have some hatched a week ago will post some photos soon.

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:32 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Wespet,
Looking forward to your pics. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:29 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Took the Barnevelders (and Aracaunas) to a show on Sunday. Disapointed that there was no competition but they attracted some interest which is really my intention. Had an enjoyable day and some interesting conversations. Spoke to another exhibitor who is feeling the same frustrations with his Wellsummers. Seems that the shows are dominated by game birds. Standard softfeather classes are very small, which I think is a pity as these are the birds which appeal to the backyarder who wants quiet egg layers but is only aware of one type of chook.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:07 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

KazJaps wrote:
I think the clues Blackdotte gave you all in the Barnevelder chick down thread, would have been good to have been listened to, in combination with those historical accounts linked to (including that no Dutch or USA Barnevelder males have red on the breast - this is a UK invention). Has anyone come across any account of wheaten based continental European Barnevelders, or American, that were not crossed at one time to Indian Games? Also remember that UK & Oz Dark Indian Games are usually wheaten based (but this not necessarily eWh - dominant wheaten allele). Do any purebred Dark Indian Games roosters have red on their breast like the UK Barnevelder?

As to the wheaton issue, my thoughts are that it persists in populations because of judges and to a lesser extent breeders, focus on a clear yellow leg in females. Have seen many times; a judge (through no horrendous fault of their own) go to a default judging of these birds -must have yellow legs- and a bird that is otherwise typey with a clear yellow shanked bird get put up over a better marked equal type, but a leg with epidermal melanin 'smudging' on the shank and foot get placed behind.
the colour on the male chest is another issue I find really interesting, as its not only the UK that call for it, it's the Germans as well
the bird on the right is considered faulty by the Germans also, (and is what many - myself included will perceive to be a 'UK standard male')and I think it doesn't take too much experience in the breed to notice the difference

I have to also add that it is generally accepted that the german have a deeper ground colour than the dutch (which call for a complete black chest)
from: http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/13E01A03.pdf
page 10
Quote:
The ground colour of the German Barnevelder is darker than that of the Dutch (more of a re-brown)

as you know KazJaps, Mh is a moderate Colombian restrictor
but its not just that, there are other melaniser/s? in Barnevelders that aren't Ml that are involved with double lacing.
how all the modifiers express on which e allele; ewh, eb or ebc and their effects on hatch colour, ground colour, colour of males' chest, amount of ground colour in hackle of males and even down to quill colour of females (UK mahogany quill vs slate/balck quill of Indian game & EU barnie hens) and then try to conflate that with the Braungebaendert Wyandottes, UK and US Partridge wyandottes
that's some fairly high intensity brain gymnastics

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:55 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I think Kazjaps in onto something with the pb Partridge Wyandotte lines, poultch.
UK pb Partridge Wyandotte lines have the same thing going on with chick down.. a DNA test would be good to see.. might be able to get the money for it on here.. I gess it will cost around $250.00 :hmmm:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next