Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - breeding cuckoo Marans from Scratch!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:27 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

[/quote]
Hi Have not received your MP.

Cheers[/quote]

jose,

Sorry my mistake, have now resent you the message.

Regards.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:32 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Attachment:
1490416159914193507684.jpg
1490416159914193507684.jpg [ 2.54 MiB | Viewed 4740 times ]
The marans cross are maturing nicely. 2 the same, as photo and 1 silver wheaton.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:13 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

good looking pullet .great type too.

let see what color egg will they lay .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:07 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Yes can't wait to see their eggs, i suspect the silver wheaton will lay the darkest egg as mother is the buff marans cross and she lays a nice dark egg now. There is one more young pullet growing, about 6 weeks old, starting to change from whitish to silver wheaton.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:21 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

mycoola wrote:
Yes can't wait to see their eggs, i suspect the silver wheaton will lay the darkest egg as mother is the buff marans cross and she lays a nice dark egg now. There is one more young pullet growing, about 6 weeks old, starting to change from whitish to silver wheaton.

I see ,so her mother is a marans cross .
she is than 75% marans . she should have a nice dark egg too because Pierre mother( Channel ) lay dark eggs all the season and her grand mother ( Cleo ) she lay dark eggs too .
there is no lighter eggs in this lineage my friend .

finger cross.

I do have few silver wheaten and silver salmon both come from the same line as Pierre .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:14 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

What colour would you call the pullet in the photo, the other similar one is lighter in colour , same style of markings but with white legs. The silver wheaten also has white legs. The one in photo has very yellow legs, one of my dlg barnies is like this. This pullet is quite tall, hasn't filled out yet, good and strong, should be a good layer..the silver wheatons mother is my best layer will be interesting if she inherits this. The mother had a copper marans father and isa brown mother.she is buff in colour and layer in type, her sister is big red , who is more dual purpose in type and feather . They are nothing alike.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:46 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

the color of the pullet in the photos I ll say Silver Salmon with red shoulder Not pure yet .

I agree with you she is big pullet .big frame and tall on her feet .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:20 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

sue55 wrote:
This young bloke was a surprise. Seems that there was some 'interaction' between a Plymouth Rock and a Marans. If he is any use to any one let me know - otherwise his destiny is the pot. He is about 24 weeks old.

Hi sue55,

I know you did tell me at the time of pick up, BUT, well I forgot. Can you please tell me again which breed was the roo and which was the hen in the resulting interaction.

Regards.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:26 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Can't remember for sure but at the time a Plymouth Rock hen was having secret sleep overs in the Marans pen. So I'm guessing Rock mum, Marans dad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

sue55 wrote:
Can't remember for sure but at the time a Plymouth Rock hen was having secret sleep overs in the Marans pen. So I'm guessing Rock mum, Marans dad.

Excellent, great just what I hoped for.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:16 am 
Great Game
Great Game

What does he look like, is he barred, and 38 studs what are the hens you are putting him over.just curious as i like experiments :thumbs: . This season coming i have 1 blr wyandotte standard cockerel eb based light blue in lacing and only 1 pullet to put with him, blr eb/ ewh based, so thinking will put for this season maybe in layer pen with barnies, lorps , marans crosses, aras. Will possible hatch some blr wyandotte cross dlg barnies for some nice pullets, my barnies are also eb based so should carry some nice lacing.
Are you putting the roo over barred hens. :?: .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:19 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Here he is

sue55 wrote:
This young bloke was a surprise. Seems that there was some 'interaction' between a Plymouth Rock and a Marans. If he is any use to any one let me know - otherwise his destiny is the pot. He is about 24 weeks old.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:23 am 
Great Game
Great Game

So yes sue he would be good over barred hens, rocks i presume, or cuckoo marans, he looks like a nice roo.would put some nice hybrid vigor into a marans layer pen. :thumbs: .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:58 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

mycoola wrote:
So yes sue he would be good over barred hens, rocks i presume, or cuckoo marans, he looks like a nice roo.would put some nice hybrid vigor into a marans layer pen. :thumbs: .

mycoola,

Yes exactly, that is what I did he went over Plymouth Rock hens, as a result I now have 30 chicks mostly barred with feathered shanks, 4 are a partridge colour which I presume is from the roo's father the French Wheaten Marans?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:28 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

sue55,

My apologies, should have mentioned that it was great catching up again with you the other weekend on the Saturday at the Royal Canberra Show, I did also go on the Sunday for the auction sale, I didn't take the cheque book.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next