Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Selecting Ancona (chickens)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:27 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

They're laying :yess :wee :wee :wee :wee
Found 3 lovely white eggs in the nest today (48, 52, 53g - not bad for pullets - took them 36 weeks)
They can still not be trusted to go home at dusk, maybe now they will be more inclined to do so.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:58 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Well done! I've recently started finding one new white egg too from my pathetic hatches this season! I think my girl is a cross but it's an excellent white egg!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:55 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

OK - so the Ancona which I wasn't going to breed from have just had a few chickies (well 12 actually) from 3 hens (no 4 lays double yolkers)
I don't recall the red colouring from the original chicks (current mums) Will it change or were they carrying red?

Attachments:
File comment: Red - please explain
P1050471.JPG
P1050471.JPG [ 166.94 KiB | Viewed 1421 times ]
File comment: Food and water - they've got it sorted.
P1050472.JPG
P1050472.JPG [ 170.64 KiB | Viewed 1421 times ]
File comment: Not a dead body centre front, just a little Araucana chilling out
P1050476.JPG
P1050476.JPG [ 171.39 KiB | Viewed 1421 times ]
File comment: Tomorrow they meet their adoptive Silkie mums. The one on the left is a Croad Langshan.
P1050477.JPG
P1050477.JPG [ 158.7 KiB | Viewed 1421 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:52 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Well having just purchased a mixed dozen fertile eggs that included Red Ancona Bantams I am following this thread with interest (and no Sue - a pen must never be empty!)

Mediterraneans are notoriously energetic ( I won't say "flighty" - sounds too pejorative!) our Hamburgh slept in the banksia many nights before a high perch in the main coop appealed more (after a heavy Melbourne downpour I should add :) )

Last edited by TookTook on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:38 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Black and white Anconae chicks do often have a reddy shade in their down. Unnerved me the first time I saw it too :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:33 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Well, the Ancona have been confined to quarters (large run) since March in the hope that once they were laying they would know where they lived and go home at bed time. They have been out free ranging with the other chooks this week - despite 9 roosters there has been perfect harmony as everyone has been bonded into their breeding groups.The Anconas have needed a little guidance to find the door to their run at bed time but have gone in obediently. Tonight I left every one to put themselves to bed - 8 pens with the correct birds in the correct places when I went to lock up.

And the Ancona up a gum tree :doh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:05 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

How have your Ancona chicks turned out Sue55?

I bought eggs that were purportedly Reds but got two blacks instead. One dot of red on the boy that never developed into anything in 12 weeks by which time I had to surrender him as we are in a "No Rooster Zone" .

So the girl is now solo and very independent - thankfully after a short spurt in the banksia rose she now roosts in the coop.

Nothing like the erratic Melbourne weather to encourage chickens indoors ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:12 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Took Took, I'd just gone to bed with my APS2 to brush up on Ancona when I read your post - I have 6 pullets and 1 cockerel (about 20 weeks) who are ready for a critical eye -all blacks.
2 hens are still laying nearly every day. I lost one - she'd always laid huge double yolkers and the last one is still baby sitting some mixed young ones - 8 that she hatched and another 10 hatched by some Silkies. She has started to take them onto the perch at night so can stay with them a bit longer. She has been a really committed mum (and a super determined broody).
Will take some pics for feedback as I am an Ancona newbie.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:52 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

There's a local up here crossing red Anconas with black ones. Looking at the chicks, looked to me that at least some of the blacks must have been silver-based because there were both red and silver produced in the chicks. Dunno what you'd call a silver Ancona.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:46 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

andrewschooks wrote:
Looking at the chicks, ------------------------------------Dunno what you'd call a silver Ancona.

Which chicks please Andrew - the local chicks or mine in the above photo? All of mine turned out black despite the initial red in the chick down.
David Simons who wrote the Ancona section in 'Poultry The Major Breeds' - )Bruce Pattinson) says " Silver ones also crop up from time to time out of the reds-----"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:37 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Sorry! The ones up here not yours.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:38 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Sue, You would not happen to have a spare cockerel for sale? :morebow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:58 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I will have a couple of spares but not for about a month when I pick my keeper. I don't vaccinate so prefer to keep them here until they are over 20 weeks.
pm me if you are interested

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:53 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

sue55 wrote:
Took Took, I'd just gone to bed with my APS2 to brush up on Ancona when I read your post - I have 6 pullets and 1 cockerel (about 20 weeks) who are ready for a critical eye -all blacks.
2 hens are still laying nearly every day. I lost one - she'd always laid huge double yolkers and the last one is still baby sitting some mixed young ones - 8 that she hatched and another 10 hatched by some Silkies. She has started to take them onto the perch at night so can stay with them a bit longer. She has been a really committed mum (and a super determined broody).
Will take some pics for feedback as I am an Ancona newbie.

Double yolkers! And interesting that they are committed mums and so broody. Not a trait I associate with Meditteranean breeds.

Look forward to the pics!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:16 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

hey took took, i have had a leghorn go broody, and raise chicks, as well as a few anconas.

the leghorn was a bit ditzy, she didn't look for a distressed chick in the same way some others such as silkies na pekins tend to do, but she raised her babies.

a couple of blacks sucessfully raised chicks, but, i had a problem with my red hens, one especially calle her chick, but marched around at a great rate, an the poor things couldn' tkeep up with her. she also wouldn't sit down for them when they were cold!! so she wasn't allowed to keep chicks anymore, but she was a damn fine hatcher!!