Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Maran's & their eggs

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:59 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Maran's & their eggs
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:19 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I have been reading about Maran's

Is all the fuss really just about the egg colour?

Does the egg colour fade though the season as the pigments in the chook are depleted?

Does anybody eat egg shells? :nuts

Post subject: Re: Maran's & their eggs
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:22 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I think the answers are:

1. No, but quite a bit of it is: it is an important breed characteristic.
2. I think the pigment is derived from blood so perhaps is not depleted like other pigments drawn from other parts of the body.
3. Probably. I expect Marans eggshells taste brown. I have a suspicion that commercial eggs are pulped shell and all. eta Wiki says that shells and membranes are removed and are useful resources.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:33 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I think yes most of the fuss is about egg colour, personally I think dlg barnies are a better choice, still get a brown egg but not as dark and they are more pretty than say a copper maren and certainly have a better reputation for hardiness.
I would asume their egg shell colour would fade as the season progressed, i have 2 copper maren cross isa and their eggs certainly faded during the season. But would be better to get this answer from a maren breeder.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:39 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Yes the egg colour fades over the season. Pullets lay the darkest eggs - the colour slowly builds up from the first egg till it is at its darkest after a couple of months or so, then they start the fade again. After a moult the egg colour is dark again, but not as dark as it was in the first year, and again fades through the season. I love them colour though. For me definitely worth it!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:51 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

the marans are hardy farm duel purpose breed.
they lay dark eggs will fade with a time but it differ from one hen to another depend how the line is mantaned.
the are the 3 testing chooks in the word after la Bresse et la Fleche ( both french breed) 2011 the maran manged to take a first place for is test.

So ho hasn t eaten maran chooks especially White or Wheaten hasn t tasted a chooks meat yet.

my cockerel at 6 month after i make my last selection they produce carcasses around 1.9 to 1.6 Kg of taste chooks meat and nice fat too.
fist 8 weeks chicks starter .second 8 week pullet grower.and last 8/10 weeks mixed grain @ 11 % protein soaked in butter milk they love the stuff.

they are pretty hen s good layer in the winter time .they age nicely . Docile and a smart at free ranging. they are hardy .

cheers

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:54 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

if you are curious about bulk eggs and how they remove the shells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHSW3XEgmkk may be interesting to you.

As a baker I have used egg pulp I have never found shell in it.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:10 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

The shell colour is the defining characteristic of the breed; however, Maranses are also an excellent dual-purpose breed that has its own advantages over other dual-purpose (eg Australorp, Wyandotte, Sussex, Plymouth Rock):

* Light-bodied and economical eaters
* surprisingly delicate on gardens
* Friendly
* relatively early maturing in both laying and cockerel readiness for eating (a 16 week Marans is good eating. A 16 week Wyandotte isn't even worth bothering with).
* a good-sized egg for the size of the bird
* very regular layers
* only mildly broody but good mothers if they do brood

This is in comparison to the relatively heavy-bodied dual-purpose breeds who tend to mature later (cf Wyandotte, Plymouth Rock, Sussex), heavy eaters (Sussex), can be irregular layers (some Sussex, Wyandotte due to broodiness), or can have surprisingly small eggs for their size (Australorp).

They're best compared to Barnevelders, which which they share a lot of characteristics - and are, again, known for egg colour among their characteristics.

And there's Araucana, of course - blue eggshell, but otherwise - just another chook.

You might as well say "That's all Wyandottes are known for? Pretty feathers and a round shape?". It really comes down to - each to their own. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:02 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Some good points there, probably my opinion came from nothing really of good quality in the Sydney market that i have seen, egg colour mediocre, after revisiting jose's posts , hes marans are excellent and I'm really impressed with the egg colours. The birchen are on my wish list, hopefully jose will sell eggs this season :pray . We all have our favorites. My copper maran cross isa hen has been awesome, lays a reasonable dark egg like a chocolate milk colour and has been laying non stop since she started. My barnies are just coming into lay now, will see how they go. . How would a cross between a maran and barnie be nice pullets. Crosses can sometimes be amazing, the pullet my wifes cousin got of me, slw standard over aracauna have been awesome layers , out layed both parent stock at my place by far. Light green eggs of good size.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:38 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Marans x Barnie is a good cross. Ideally you want to put a Marans rooster over the Barnie hen to improve the egg colour - egg colour inheritance is a bit of a tricky area of genetics but it seems the rooster has a major influence in the depth of colour laid down - the "paint" - although the hen seems to have some influence on the actual eggshell colour itself.

Hen influence may not be quite so interesting in Marans, where the base eggshell colour is white/brown (I love looking at broken Marans eggs, with the contrast between the pale inside and dark outside), but it's important where Araucana breeding is involved, as the shell colour is green/blue, while the external pigment can be anything from blue/green through to shades of brown, producing a whole range of eggshell colours.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:34 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi every one. YES we ll be releasing some fertile eggs for sale this breeding season. the number is going to be limited .because we are hatching them ours selves.
we penned few varieties this weeks for breeding .this are group A Early winter breeders .
Pen 1; Black copper hen s 7 with Blue copper rooster .they will give 50% each.
Pen 2 ; Blue copper hen s 5 with Black copper Rooster.
Pen 3 ; F3 Birchen hens 7 X F2 Birchen Rooster
Pen 4 ; Wheaten pure strain 8hens 1 Roo.

Group B will be penned together end of this month. mid winter breeders.

The last will be the Group C pullet Early spring breeders.

here few photos . I ll take soon some pick of the eggs when they start laying properly .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:42 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

here the photos

Attachments:
IMG_0835_1024.jpg
IMG_0835_1024.jpg [ 451.1 KiB | Viewed 3790 times ]
IMG_0813_1024.jpg
IMG_0813_1024.jpg [ 154.48 KiB | Viewed 3790 times ]
IMG_0808_1024.jpg
IMG_0808_1024.jpg [ 249.09 KiB | Viewed 3790 times ]
P1020482.JPG
P1020482.JPG [ 878 KiB | Viewed 3790 times ]
P1020466.JPG
P1020466.JPG [ 849 KiB | Viewed 3790 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:48 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

the last 5 photos .
hope you enjoy them as much as i do.

the marans chooks are really pretty when looked after .

We love

Attachments:
thumb_IMG_3049_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_3049_1024.jpg [ 405 KiB | Viewed 3790 times ]
thumb_IMG_3046_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_3046_1024.jpg [ 329.87 KiB | Viewed 3790 times ]
IMG_1322.jpg
IMG_1322.jpg [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 3790 times ]
IMG_0815_1024.jpg
IMG_0815_1024.jpg [ 464.26 KiB | Viewed 3790 times ]
IMG_0799_1024.jpg
IMG_0799_1024.jpg [ 488.06 KiB | Viewed 3790 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:56 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Lovely jose. I love my Marans. To me they are nothing pretentious, just the perfect 'happy, comfortable, chook shape',

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:18 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

what marans variety you have Sue 55 ?

I can t wait tell they start laying again .

cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:29 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi jose. I started with a trio of wheatens several years ago (backyarders) and have kept them going but over the past few years there has also been some late season pen jumping and somehow some blues and some whites have appeared. The blue wheatens are lovely to look at, especially the roosters, but I have not much idea of their Marans quality.
Unlike some of the others on BYP, I have been lucky as my Marans don't seem to be prone to early drop dead syndrome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next