Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Dalmatian Bantams in creation

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:24 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Actually it wasn't a typo. It was me not being diligent yet again and working from memory. :oops: Silkies are not my passion but i was interested in paint some time ago so i knew where the article was kept. Should have had a good read through it again before i got into too much detail. :doh Thanks Bronze. You are right on top of it as always. :th

Shane.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:40 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Is this the colour paint you are talking about. Ive never heard of the name before but stumbled on it a while back on the net.
I thought it may have been really bad exchequer lol..........

from a black hen

Attachment:
DSC_0134.JPG
DSC_0134.JPG [ 172.04 KiB | Viewed 1488 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:26 am 

That reminds me of an Orloff's spangle pattern. I've also seen it in a few gamebird breeds too. It's pretty, but it makes me think pied more then spotted because of its distribution.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:31 am 

My current Dalmatian flock is made up of a number of birds, most of them young and yet to be sorted through to choose only the best. I've got by adults, Ruby, Goldie, Susie, Dodie and Dastan.
Then I have my three teens, Ori, Sparrow and Honey.
My babies include Rowan, Izzie, Frankie, Camp, Wally, Finn, iris, Nori, Frodo, Daughtry, Ivory, Irons, Koriand'ar, Resa, Midus, Blaze, Snow, Toad, Bananas, Tempest, Annie, Craigen, Madi, and Dark.
I know that Ori and Sparrow are boys and I'm pretty sure Honey is a girl, which means she's the keeper but they aren't really what I'm looking for. Either Ivory or Irons are showing signs of being roosters too.

My other colors I'm using for tests include my blue/splash chicks: Blue Beetle, Tide, Rivera, Pool, Sapphire and Tiger and my black chicks: Nocturne, Rain (an adult silkie mix), Beau and Velvet. So far all the blues except Sapphire and Tiger are showing signs of being dudes so I likely won't be keeping them. I don't need a bunch of roosters right now, just a couple will do and Spock (my pure silver sebright), Rain and Dastan are currently filling up the roll of adult roosters in the flock.

Keeping track of them may be difficult at times, but it helps that no two have the same spotting pattern, comb type, amount of feathering on the feet, skin color, size, ect. They also hang out in groups with their siblings, which helps you know which ones belong to which mother's.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:09 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

hi gita,just in case youre not familiar with silver spangled hamburgs here is a pic of a rooster,this breed is reasonably common here in Australia but not sure about where you are

Attachments:
File comment: ssh
ssh.jpg
ssh.jpg [ 155.16 KiB | Viewed 1423 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:49 am 

That is one handsome dude. : )

They are pretty common here as well. I actually have a female, but she chose to breed with the standard rooster instead of the bantam (and I have kittens rewriting this so I have to be done for now) : )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:31 am 

Things went well as far as Dalmatian turn-out among my chicks this year. I've ended up with plenty to work with, even extras to give away. : )

Not all of them are the proper shape, crested, or have dark skin, but its a work in progress and they are all healthy, handsome birds, so nothing to complain about.

My paint pattern dalmatians are currently:::
HENS/PULLETS: Goldie, Susie, Dodie, Rowan, Izzie, Tempest, Dark Beak, Craigen, StarDust, Bananas, and Toad.
ROOSTERS: Wally, Camp, Midus, Frodo, Anakin, Nori, and Daughtry.
CHICKS: O'Connor, Fitz, Timbatu, Second Chance, Daquain, Downey, Tommy Merlyn, Leopold, Skye, and Lan.

White Dalmatians:::::
HENS/PULLETS: Tad, Finn, Dove, Honey, Iris, Resa, and Ruby.
ROOSTERS: Koren, Frankie, and Dastan.
CHICKS: O'Toole, Jax, DaVinci, Bengali, Degotoga, Keep-Sake, Bobbi II, Key, Shark, Everest, May, Trip, and Ward.

Other Colors (Blue, Laced, Splash, Black, ect):::::
HENS/PULLETS: Velvet, Tide, Sapphire, Eve, Possibility, and Sheyara.
ROOSTERS: Spock, Rain, Kord, Rivera, Pool, and Tiger.
CHICKS: Dark Waltz and Gage.

I still can't decide which 4 roosters I'm going to keep, but I know for sure that I want Wally as one of them because he is a very good example of the breed as far as color goes. He is my first Dal Rooster to actually show a good paint pattern with black spotting. However, he is too long and skinny, which means I would also want to keep one of the more silkie or cochin like roosters: Tiger, Rain, Midus or Camp.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:40 am 

Things are going pretty well the autumn as far as my breed is concerned. I lost one of my hens, Ruby, to a predator and a few of my chicks to Progressive Paralysis (genetically linked it seems, so I'm selecting against this). I've selected my favorite roosters for next spring and have a good number of hens. I'm no longer using Sebrights if I can help it, as I hear they are more prone to health issues (mine were surprisingly healthy, but I don't want to take a chance with all the PP chicks I had).

Anakin, Camp, Kord, Pool, Rain, Midus, Lan, and Wally are my current roosters.

My hens are Goldie, Susie, Dodie, Velvet, Tide, Dove, Iris, Resa, Tad, Possibility, Eve, StarDust, Craigen, Dark Beak, Tempest, Rowan, and Izzie. Hopefully some of the younger chicks will be good hens as well.

My younger chicks and unknowns are Fantasia, Koriand'ar, Daquain, Keep-Sake, O'Connor, Leopold, Downy, Bobbi, Chamomile, O'Toole, Kayden, Moriarty, and Dark Waltz.

Known roosters I don't plan to keep include Bengali, Second Chance, Key, Chark, TImbaktu, and Jax.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:22 am 

Lots of Dalmatian Bantams hatched this year. Still not uniform in type, but I did get one that was almost exactly to my "Standard". Her name is G. Callen, but she just goes by G.
Way to many roosters, that is the one problem with breeding, you get an equal number and you only need 1:10 roosters to hens. : )