Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Advice wanted re breeding Croad Langshans

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:19 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi All,

I used to breed Barnevelders, not professionally, just for my own use. I had two fantastic cross breed bantam hens that would do my hatching. Since then I have kept ISAs and Australorps from farm shops on and off.

Now I have acquired some Langshans. I wanted to keep a pure breed and maintain a flock for eggs for the small community I live at.

There are 3 black roosters, 6 hens (3 of which have only just started laying, thus former pullets), also black.

Additionally there are a rooster/hen 'blue'. Not 'splashed' as I understand to mean a slight mix of colours. I have them separated as I would like to preserve the line.

The person I purchased them from says they are from mixed bloodlines acquired over a while.

One hen went broody some 6 weeks ago and was sitting on a dozen eggs. There were some breakages – I suspect from other hens laying and the shells not hardening before being 'stepped' on.

I isolated her but now she is still sitting on a single egg – suspect it will not hatch but leaving her so I may learn!

So some questions and a plan.....

One of the roosters has long spurs. 2 hens – now isolated to recover their rump feathers. Reading I can see there are various methods to de-spur. Any advice on what works with Langshans?

What is the difference between Croad and Australian and how do I tell?

Plan – reading I believe both Pekin and Sussex are good brooders but Sussex eats more. As I just want them for breeding up a flock of maybe 20-30 birds, I am not wanting to eat the Sussex. I want to maintain the breed and don't see any breeders around the Byron Shire.

Don't want to be a breeder as such, just as an 'Amateur' retired guy who likes to look after chooks etc. Had a couple of field pigs for 18 months!

Planning on 3 or 4 runs so I can manage better than a single run. Maybe just keep the bantams away from the roosters so I can control the fertile eggs.

Very happy for any advice/shared experience; questions welcome.

Many thanks,

Bob

Last edited by langshangbob on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:17 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Welcome! :)

Croad Langshans are huge. Australian Langshans are much smaller.

What's your reasoning for keeping the blacks and blues separate?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:53 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Just to preserve the two colours. As I understand, but I am still learning, Croad and Australian are considered different breeds.
Understand thanks to Suzanne the differences.
Removed the single egg and learning that the Croad hens are good mums...

Thanks for the interest.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:44 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

From pairings of blue to blue birds you will get a mixture of black, blue and splash chicks. Sorry if I'm telling you how to suck eggs there and you already know about the genetics of breeding blue birds :)

Yes, the Croads and Aussie are different breeds and shouldn't be mixed. They are very different in size so on that basis alone you won't mix them up.

Your plan to have 3 or 4 runs is a good one. Also consider the need to keep growing birds of different ages separate.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:43 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

No, you are not teaching me to suck eggs. I am on a learning curve, so all comments are welcome.
So am I wasting my time to try to preserve the different colours?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:57 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

There can be merit in preserving separate lines, if you have a reason for it and your blacks and blues come from different lines.

But if you're breeding blues it's not possible to keep blacks and blues (or splashes) separate.

You might enjoy reading this thread on the genetics of breeding blue chickens :) viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7968728

In the article it mentions that it can be a good thing to keep black birds involved in breeding blue ones as that'll help to maintain a darker blue. I'm not 100% sure about that...I breed blue ducks and I find that it makes no diffference to the strength of the blue whether or not you pair blues with blacks or not. But it may be a bit different in chooks. Certainly most people breeding blue birds would include black birds in their breeding stock (I do) simply because there's no good reason not to.

As noted in the article if you breed black to splash you 100% blue offspring - and if you're keen on blues then that can be a very handy pairing. So don't reject splash offspring either.

Another good thing to keep in mind is that type (shape, size, conformation) is always Number 1 when deciding whether to keep or breed from birds, with colour a long way second.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:55 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hmmm....! Sadly I cannot be certain where each bird comes from. I was just told that they were all different bloodlines. However, I have to doubt it as there just don't seem to be that number of flocks of Langshans, especially Croad around!

Thanks very much for the link to genetics. Somewhat confusing but I get the gist. I'll sleep on it for a few days before looking at the .nl link.

6 weeks ago when I got them, they all looked the same. Each day I start to see the individuality! Both in character and form.

Again thanks muchly.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:23 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

No worries :)

With the genetics stuff you do just have to mull it over and then come back to it and then mull it over more...etc etc. It's like a different language but when you start to grasp it it's really beneficial.

Sounds like the way to go here is just to keep the Croads and the Aust Langshans separate but not to worry about separating colours too much. That doesn't necessarily mean you won't be selective in your breeding - you might decide to breed (hatch eggs) from only a few birds that you separate out for the breeding season (for most people that's Spring). You would select birds based on how close a match they are to the Australian Standards. If you don't have a copy of the current Standards book it would be very handy to track one down.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:13 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I have Croads, (Blacks only) and just starting to see some good results from my breeding - also started from mixed lines. There are a couple of others on the forum with some good birds, hopefully they will see this thread.
Basic blue genetics are pretty straight foward but as Rach says, get a copy of the Australian poultry standards and focus first on type

http://www.croadlangshan.org/index.shtml

Croads make great mums

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:22 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi All,

Blacks/Blues - I would just like to have contact with breeders. I would like to know how to increase my flock. Should I move this thread to a different area?

My aim is to maintain the Croad Langshan line. Secondly - close - to get good eggs.

Any comments/help will be gratefully received.

The broody hen sits on anything but is not hatching eggs?

Regards,
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:38 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I've asked for your thread to be moved to the Breeds forum :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:44 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks muchly:)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:26 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Here are some links to pics in the gallery showing some blue and blue splash

http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/orpi ... llets.html

http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/memb ... weeks.html

In your Blue pen, I would not keep the splash males, and only the hens if their type is good. Put your best black rooster back to the best splash hens to give you blues. Then keep the best male from that group for your blue pen. His off spring will include blue, black and splash. This gives you a simple blue breeding cycle over 3 years. This will widen the gene pool and should help improve quality.

http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/memb ... quare.html

Last edited by sue55 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:00 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Bob, if you go to your first post in this thread you can edit the title yourself e.g. to "Advice wanted on breeding Langshans" or something like that :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:53 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

any help advice very welcome.

Thanks