Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Are WC White Polish rarer than WC Blues, Black or Splash?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:35 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:50 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi, everyone!

Anyone out there know whether White Crested White Polish are rarer than WC Blues, WC Black or WC Splash? Or are they in the same category. I've finally found a WC Cuckoo Male and am importing him from Qld to Adelaide! Yay! :nuts (Poor thing has to travel by road! Airport not near enough to the seller, unfortunately.) Thank you Sammi's Pet Express! At least I know they're in good hands! Two hens are being transported with him a WC SF White Polish Hen and a WC White Frizzle Polish Hen. So, at least, he won't be alone during the long journey! :mteor

I know Cuckoos are really rare in this breed but I don't know about the Whites. I just haven't seen many of them, so, I'm just not really sure. Anyone know? :read

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:47 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

In the UK an all white bird is known as a self white, and it is rarer than w/c black(which is the most common colour) and the w/c blue and the cuckoo. I don't think the splash is a standard colour in the UK so isn't particularly sought after, tho obvs you will end up with some splash if you breed blues.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:38 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

MrsBiscuit wrote:
In the UK an all white bird is known as a self white, and it is rarer than w/c black(which is the most common colour) and the w/c blue and the cuckoo. I don't think the splash is a standard colour in the UK so isn't particularly sought after, tho obvs you will end up with some splash if you breed blues.

Thanks, Mrs Biscuit!

Sorry, I didn't check the responses sooner as there was no replies at first. But, I DO appreciate your response. Thank you for that information. Someone else has confirmed that the Whites were rarer than the Blues and Blacks. I've now got a Cuckoo Roo which is also in the same category as the White. I've now also got 2x self White Pullets. One is a Frizzle. I had them sent from Qld to Adelaide via Sammi's Pet Express and received a bit of a surprise at the meeting place. The poor Frizzle had been previously attacked by an overindulgent Polish White cockerel! She looked like a Naked Neck!! 3/4 of her crest had been plucked, the sides of her neck and her back saddle were worn down! I realise that this can happen in the chicken world but I consider this a fairly aggressive cockerel! The owner had offered me 2x White Cockerals as well and I agreed that he put the two Cockerals in with this trio a couple of days before pick up to see if they would get along with one another as they needed to go in the same crate. A good thing that this was done as it seems that the two Cockerals didn't get on with the yr old WC Cuckoo Roo! Which, of course, was a possibility but we were hoping that since they were all so young that they might all get along. I'm thinking now that this only works if they are brought up together or are still only chicks when they first are "acclimatized" together.

I've only ever keep "gentleman" Roosters like my Silva, WC Splash Blue Polish Frizzle. I've never had problems with him causing saddle wearing on the hens so, I was a little surprised by this comment from the previous owner. quote, "I find that it's actually not the rooster who is the issue, but rather the female. If they just sit for the rooster they rarely have a feather out of place. She must have run away most of the time. Don't stress about it, she'll improve as a hen (they seem to learn)...", unquote. I hope this guy doesn't have the same attitude with humans! Lol! I know. We're talking about chickens here! But, my Silva would entice the hens to come close by dropping food for them and chortling for them to come and get it. I suppose that over exuberant Cockerals just can't be bothered waiting just like an impatient teenager! But, I, originally, thought that this behaviour was just dependent on what sort of breed they are but, now, I'm thinking maybe it's just dependent on temperament.

I've decided to post this as a separate posting as I'm interested on hearing what other people's opinion is on this and, I'm sure, there will be other people interested in reading this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:45 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

In Australia all Polish would be a rare breed, but you might find more white crested blacks than anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:50 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Would love any photos of your birds Chicky Chooky- Polish are an amazingly underrated breed as a backyard chook. Friendly, relatively quiet -never broody and lay a nice white egg frequently enough for me not to go hungry/get grumpy. :)

The couple of roos I have had (briefly being in suburbia) have all been gracious gentleman. In fact I find Polish roos very calm and courteous to their girls. As you say, temperament though not breed.

Example: I currently have VERY UNfriendly Faverolles despite being reared from hatch in a calm environment. As hatched specifically for their kid friendly characteristics this is especially disappointing for the younger folk in our family ...so they will go to a new home and friendlier versions will replace them.

But Polish? they just follow you around like puppies. :) Love 'em.