Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Artificial Insemination in Chickens - Can it be done??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:52 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Like many breeders I am unable to keep roosters I dont keep them out of courtesy for my neighbours, many other people that have chickens are also in the same boat but the problem is that as a Pekin breeder who also likes to show I have to rely on buying fertile eggs from other breeders and this means there is pretty much no control of type,colour and temperament which for someone that loves showing means you are really are jsut putting your hand into a lucky dip. I know its a lucky dip for any breeder in some ways but for non rooster owners it is definately more the case. So as I have bred horses using AI for years I was wondering if people use AI to fertilise their hens as Im guessing once you have the semen it would be a simple case of using a small syringe with a very thin silicone tube attached to insert into your hens. I am not sure how you would collect the semen but if it can be done who does it and what is involved if you know id love to hear as it would solve the problem for hen owners that want to breed without the hasstle of keeping a rooster thanks Guys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:40 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi pious.panda and welcome to BYP

The answer to your question is Yes. AI can and is done for poultry. I have never done it (too many roosters
here :hiding ) Fertilization for chooks is actually an external (not a penetrative) process so it is apparently quite a simple procedure providing that you can locate a suitable and co operative rooster.

Here is a link to a thread

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8031618&hilit=artificial

There are probably others. I put the word 'artificial' into search (top right of page)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:16 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for that Im glad to hear it can be done I suppose the next thing to do is to start looking for a pekin breeder in adelaide that would be happy to provide rooster semen , of course id be happy to pay. I guess the other question is how long will the semen survive?