Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sexing by egg shape

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sexing by egg shape
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:52 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Am wondering if anyone has tried to sex there chickens by hatching only round or pointy eggs as mentioned here: http://www.motherearthnews.com/homestea ... zmaz74zhol
I did try it a couple time....first time I tried picking all round eggs I had 1 roo and 6 hens, this last time is looking like 2 roo and 7 hens. I figure any it must work a bit or I should have a 50/50 mix.
Here is what I did. I collected eggs from my hens every day for a week, marking them with the hens name and date, I wanted three eggs from each hen so on day four I took out the pointest egg and continued to traiding out eggs until day 7 and then gave them to the hen.
Would love to hear others thoughts on this.

Last edited by stephenie on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Sexing be egg shape
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:31 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The article is absolute nonsense. That doesn't work.

Post subject: Re: Sexing be egg shape
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:22 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I don't know there might be something in it.
A morphometric method of sexing white layer eggs

a slight whistling sound accompanies the fall of the axe before splitting the wood. startled my girls look at me with fear in their tiny chicken eyes. "It's not for you... yet" I cry and laugh at them like a chook

Post subject: Re: Sexing by egg shape
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:47 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

old wives tale!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:20 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Well that was interesting, may have to next season test this theory out :think: . A mate was always telling me long pointed eggs were male and i was like yeah right. :rofl: . :hmmm: .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:26 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Maybe we should all run a trial and report our findings?

My Pekins lay all sorts of crazily shaped eggs. As well as the usual I get completely round golf balls, torpedoes that are pointed at both ends, and recently ones with a spiral in the end; they obviously didn't move quite straight down the oviduct!

Still, if people were interested in doing a real study, I can help design and run it. We could even publish a paper!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:40 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks Milo, bit of a heavy read with little people talking in the background, but it looks like the theory goes hold some water....when you know people are more likely to want hens then Roos it is nice to try and stake the odds in the hens favor.

Shairlyn I would be happy to report back the next time I have a broadie hen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:46 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Interesting study. The key paragraph:

Quote:
In our study probability of hatching a female chick was increased with the increase of the width of the hatching eggs with rounded shape and with greater width were more likely to produce female chicks. On the other hand, pointed shape and narrow were more likely to produce male chicks. The probability of hatching a female chick was decreased with the increase of the length of the hatching egg (p < 0.05).

It's that probability of < 0.05 that I couldn't brain in 'real world' terms, my head is full of A&P study, lol.

They do make reference to the article you linked, which itself doesn't give much information.
Quote:
Similarly, Mulder & Wollan (1974) reported that rounded (oval) shaped eggs most likely to produce pullets (female) and pointed end (pointy) shaped eggs were most likely to produce cockerels (male).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:17 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

This theory has been around for longer than I have been interested in poultry. The Mother Earth article is dated 1974 - 43 years ago. Most 'Old Wives Tales' survive because they have some validity. In this case however most of the stories that I have heard include the information that the teller cannot remember which shape is which. (or it varies)

However

If it was significantly true, the commercial hatcheries would have been exploiting it for ever.
If the shape of the egg is genetically related to the sex of the chick, would not a DNA test of the shell prove or disprove it?

Last edited by sue55 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:52 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Yeah, that's the thing. While small scale testing (which I consider the study to be as well), might show some correlation between shell shape and sex, if it was a solid way to sex chickens it would have been adopted by commercial hatcheries long ago.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:42 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

As the hen determines the sex of the chick, by this method, even an unfertilized egg should show a correlation between shape and sex/DNA of the contents. The logical consequence for this would be that we would select for hens which typically lay non pointy eggs and the long term outcome would be that most poultry would be female.
No - the more I think, the more convinced I am that this would have been exploited if it were true.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 am 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

'P<0.05' means that the result is statistically significant. P is the probability that these results would just happen randomly in nature, and 0.05% is considered the threshold in most statistics whereby you can state absolutely that it's not a random effect.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:53 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

caladenia wrote:
old wives tale!

I'm with Caladenia here. But then I just retreated to the Forum to escape the load of dangerous/cruel/callous that is accepted on fbook as good information on all things poultry. Egg-shape is a harmless enough focus: it's the cheap and nasty old treatments that must be okay because someone's mother-in-law's cousin used it without any problems that get to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:55 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

shairlyn wrote:
'P<0.05' means that the result is statistically significant. P is the probability that these results would just happen randomly in nature, and 0.05% is considered the threshold in most statistics whereby you can state absolutely that it's not a random effect.

I knew it was the 'statistically significant' result, I meant just more thinking about if it was an actual significant finding, or only significant for the test itself. When you factor in the small amount of eggs and chicks actually tested (300 eggs, 244 chicks), and the overall accuracy of the vent sexing method (even by professionals it's not 100% reliable), among other things, then it's how you can really translate that p-value into a 'real world' finding. Is it 'something', or just a 'something' for that particular hypothesis test, if you know what I mean?

It's interesting either way though!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:58 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

sue55 wrote:
As the hen determines the sex of the chick, by this method, even an unfertilized egg should show a correlation between shape and sex/DNA of the contents. The logical consequence for this would be that we would select for hens which typically lay non pointy eggs and the long term outcome would be that most poultry would be female.
No - the more I think, the more convinced I am that this would have been exploited if it were true.

Lol, yeah I've got one hen that lays only rounded eggs, and another only pointed ones. I can't imagine that 100% of their eggs are only one sex.