Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sexing by egg shape

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sexing by egg shape
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:03 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

[/quote]
Lol, yeah I've got one hen that lays only rounded eggs, and another only pointed ones. I can't imagine that 100% of their eggs are only one sex.[/quote]

Are those two hens of the same breed? Wondering if the rate success would be higher if you are only comparing the eggs of one hen vs the over all breed. I am lucky at this point to know who layer what egg by the color of it.

Do commercial breeders also sell eggs. Could they be forgoing the method to not have to sell the pointy eggs or knowing they will get the same amount of money for selling the Roo chicks as animal food

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:30 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Yup, both the same breed.

As far as I'm aware commercial hatcheries don't sell eggs, only hatched chicks.

Given it's, what, a billion dollar industry, if it hasn't been adopted as standard practise then it's easy to conclude it isn't a reliable method. When you consider that techniques like gene editing (among others) are being researched as a way to determine sex pre-hatch, and the costs and technology involved with doing so, there'd be no way they would be spending the money on research like that if there was a cheap and viable alternative. I can't believe the industry hasn't already tested morphometric egg sexing given how simple a concept it is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:39 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

[quote="stephenie" Do commercial breeders also sell eggs. Could they be forgoing the method to not have to sell the pointy eggs or knowing they will get the same amount of money for selling the Roo chicks as animal food[/quote]

There is not much flesh on a day old layer breed chick. I doubt that they go for animal food. Once they are gassed or macerated their most likely use (if any) is as blood and bone, and not much return on that if you are competing with the big abattoirs