Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Best utility strain??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:43 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

For egg layers you can't go past a Mediterranean breed. Consider some bantam Leghorns, Anconas or Minorcas. They don't eat a lot and give plenty of eggs. They are also better suited to the Australian climate.

I wouldn't recommend a Sussex for a hard working egg layer. I also wouldn't recommend the 'utility Sussex' because there's no pleasure in having a bird that looks like that. The Mediterraneans on the other hand look beautiful, just as the Standard says they should, and do the job you want. Mostly they don't go broody, but these days lines are a bit different and there are no guarantees. They will not go broody to the same degree as Wyandottes anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:33 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I must say I wasn't expecting such rudeness. I have no idea what you mean by 'there is no pleasure in having a bird that looks like that'. A utility Sussex, at least a utility Sussex which has been born and raised in Sussex from a closed 50 year old flock, looks like a smaller, dumpier Sussex, which won't win show prizes but it is still recognisable as a Sussex with the correct markings and shape. I am somewhat taken aback and more than a little disappointed in your rather strong remarks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:38 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Perhaps I should have said no pleasure to me. :) We all have different perceptions of beauty and utility. I have seen some truly awful ones at least in my eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:26 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Mrs Biscuit, the utility sussex from sussex are probably a nice strain, but like all things there are nice strains that look just as good as show lines in some respect but there is always some strains around that make people look and shudder.some of our lavender araucana are awful and when you see a good strain you go wow are they the same breed :shoc .
Would love to see some sussex from their home turf.do you have some nice photos for us to admire.thanks Mycoola.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:31 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It is probably a very similar story for the Australorp in Australia - those which have been preserved 'untainted' as a utility line are attractive in a very different way to the show lines - but quite different probably to the 'backyarders which have been randomly reproduced.There are now only a couple of those true utility lines still intact.
I suspect that true utility Australorps are specific to their homeland?.
Saltwood, they might be an option for you - ulility or otherwise, they still lay pretty well, are meaty quite young, nice natured, not overly broody but good mums and you could play with blacks and blues.