Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Wyandotte Colours

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wyandotte Colours
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:44 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi there, very new to Chickens but interested in learning more about genetics. Would love to breed some blue laced red wyandottes and blue laced silvers.

Currently I have 1 x blue laced silver hen, 2 x silver laced wyandotte x australorp hens

Where do I start? :help:

Post subject: Re: Wyandotte Colours
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:48 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Let's start with breeding blue.

Blue is inherited as a dominant gene. The blue gene only affects the black pigments on the bird. Two doses of the blue gene give splash where black would normally be, that's pretty close to white. One dose gives blue , no doses gives black.

So mating blue to blue gives 25% black, 50% blue and 25% splash progeny. People like to mateblue to blue to help with getting the right shade of blue. However if you mated black to splash you'd get all blue progeny.

How's that for starters?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:40 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

As Andrew said, if you can't find a blue laced silver roo a normal laced silver as in black laced is fine , you will get 50% blue and 50% black laced. Wyandottes are on a eb base, and Australorps are on a extended black E base which is if im right dominant over eb, so the silver laced cross lorp will continue to give extended black E chicks which wont hold the lacing, are these hens just black in colour or do you have blue in these, still a nice back yard chook.if you can don't breed from these. If you get blue laced red you will need to breed these seperate to the silvers. Not all blr are on the eb base, some are on eb split ewh base and although they hold great ground colour will suffer in lacing. If you search previous posts on blr you will see some chicks down colours to know the difference. You can see it in my blr bantam wyandotte posts.the split base blr are still useful as bred to eb base will give 50-50 bases and then its just culling the split young once you have enough numbers of pure eb base chooks to keep for breeding. This is what I'm currently doing with my blr bantams. Don't have enough eb base yet but getting there :thumbs: with blr you need to aim for a nice burgundy in the windows, not gold..roo should have a nice deep red hackle and saddle, any sign of brassiness (gold ) in hackles should be culled. Pure eb base blr take a while to develop the colour in windows (look like a blue bird) so dont be hasty in culling.
Oh and with the silvers too dont be too hasty culling the chicks who look like the silver is only a slit as these will when grown will have great lacing whilst the chick when young with great big silver windows can when grown end up with a very thin blue or black lacing . Hope this is some help for you and i haven't just confused you. ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:32 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Dottedoll hasn't been back online yet, but that's a great contribution thanks mycoola.