Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Light sussex rooster over coronation sussex hen offspring??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:34 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi, i am new to the chicken breeding world. I just have one question, i have 2 coronation sussex hens and one light sussex hen. I was wondering what colour offspring i would get if i buy a light sussex rooster and put him over the coronation hens? Would it be as simple as 50/50 light and coronation offspring?
Thank you

Attachments:
File comment: My 2 coro sussex :)
20170626_123315.jpg
20170626_123315.jpg [ 2.81 MiB | Viewed 592 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:04 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi SamwiseC and welcome to the BYP
The dark on the Light Sussex is dominant over the lavender on the Coronation. So unless the Light Sussex rooster is carrying lavender (heterozygous black/lav) all the next generation birds will be Light (phenotype) but those bred from the Coronation X Light matings will be heterozygous (carrying Lavender black/lav). If you put one of these males over their Coronation mothers (homozygous lav/lav) half of the next generation will be Coronation (homozygous Lav/lav)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:33 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thank you Sue55. That makes sense :). So does that mean if i get a coronation rooster and put him over the light sussex hen will the black in the hen still dominate? Or will that throw a mix of both? Sorry im still trying to understand the dominant gene thing. Im guessing the rooster carries the dominant gene? Again thank you this is greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:26 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Coronation rooster will theoretically give you 100% light (Heterozygous black/lav) from the light Sussex matings and 100% Coronation from the Coronation matings (lav/lav) in the first generation.
Do a search on Punnet Square. That will show you the predicted outcomes.

If you get any Coronations from the Light X Coronation this would mean that your light hen is carrying lav (heterozygous genotype Black/lav, Phenotype Light).

Now are you confused? :huh?

:nuts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:52 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Actually i have just read an amazing post on genetics and it all makes sense now haha. Yes it is all confusing however enough has sunk in to understand. Thank you for the help. At least with the Coro rooster i will get both colours due to having both colour hens so i think that is the way i will go. Wow have i learnt alot today! Love this site and the helpful people

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:25 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I'll attempt to explain it in simple terms. Coronation sussex is essentially a light sussex with two doses of lavender. Lavender is a recessive gene so needs two doses to express/display. When you cross light and coro you knock out one dose of lav which means all your offspring will be light sussex looking but carrying one dose of lav. They wont display this dose of lav due to it's recessive nature so you will have to leg band the offspring to keep track of the lavender carrying birds. Because you now have birds that carry one dose of lav (known as split for lav in common terms) you can put them over birds that display lav and get statistically half coros and half lights. The lights will also be carrying a dose of lav as they will pick it up from the coros in that pairing. Once you breed coro to coro you wont get any lights as all offspring will carry a double dose of lav.

Having said all that, if the light sussex you use in the first cross is a true light sussex and doesn't carry any lav then you will get all lights in the first gen but all carrying lav. If your light sussex has come from a previous cross to coro and is therefore carrying a dose of lav then you will get around half coros and half lights split for lav. Leg bands will help you keep track of which birds carry lav for future options. If either of the parents are displaying lav then all of the offspring will carry at least one dose of lav and therefore a leg band will help identify them. Hope that helps. It's a bit confusing at first but fairly simple once you get your head around it.

Shane.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:58 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

quote[ Im guessing the rooster carries the dominant gene? ]

In this case the gene isn't sex linked (that's a whole other issue).
It is basically a case where the black is dominant over the lavender. (so won't allow the lavender to express).

btw nice looking hens. If you are serious about breeding have a look at the Australian Poultry Standards for Sussex - It is important not to sacrifice type for colour.

You might find this thread interesting

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7968297&hilit=sussex+profile#p203093

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:55 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thank you again Sue and also Shane. The help is greatly appreciated. I have a much better understanding of the genetics now. And i read that Sussex post you linked. Its very interesting. I am not planning on showing at the moment but when my daughter is older i thought it could be a good hobby for her as she loves the chooks!