Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What can I breed with my Silver Laced Wyandotte.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:35 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi I was hoping someone could help me out. Im only new to the whole breeding thing and I purchased 4 hens and a rooster (Bantam Silver Laced Wyandotte) I have noticed the rooster has a little ben wonky tail I assume its wry tail so I don't want to breed with him.
I was wondering if there was another colour Wyandotte rooster that I could put with them to get a different colour. I hope this isn't a stupid question please be nice if it is haha.

Also Could I put a full size Wyandotte rooster with the bantam hens I'm having trouble finding other Bantam Wyandotte rooster where I am.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:54 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

You could always buy some BSLW eggs and hatch them yourself.
That way you could keep the nice bantam size.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:07 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Where are you, bantams are hard to find, you could if can find him, a blue laced gold bantam roo, will give you gold laced pullets in blue and black laced gold, have to cull the cockerals though as silver split gold. You could try him and see what happens, my red laced bantam roo's tail, has a slight curve to the left , he was second choice ( lost the best cockerel, blue laced red).. none of this roos young have any curve to their tails. All he's sons have perfect tails as wel, as pullets.
Photos would be nice :thumbs: , nice chooks the slw bantams, my blue laced red bantams are very quite , and friendly, absolutely love them. :biggrin: .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:00 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for the replies guys. I am just South of Brisbane I can try upload some pictures tomorrow his tail is not as bad as some of the ones I've seen on Google I have some eggs in the incubator maybe I could just keep the nicest boy from them and get rid of the other one. I'd love to find myself a bantam splash wyandotte in or around the South East Queensland area if someone could help :-) I see heaps of standard size just no bantams :-(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:33 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

The problem I found with BSLW is finding/producing a roo that is the correct size.
I suppose that is because people can't find bantams so they use standard sized birds and therefore produce birds that are too big.....which is not desirable. I guess it depends on whether you want to breed for show or just want to dabble.
I achieved the correct size/type but I had to get eggs from interstate to have success.