Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Colour/Gene Ident Help Pls

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 12:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:05 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Good Afternoon All!

I'm new to the forums so please forgive me if I have posted this in an incorrect thread! I'm ok with the theory of genetics but still learning to match theory with what I see on an actual bird so was hoping to ask a little help from those of you more learned with genetics.

I have a 12 week old Pekin (young rooster) and I'm trying to determine what colour/genetics he is displaying (to ultimately decide if I will keep him for breeding). I only have one rooster so I know who dad is but mom could be one of several so it's a bit of a puzzle.

I have attached for you two pictures of him at 9 weeks and 1 taken today at 12 weeks.

I've also included a picture of dad. He was sold to me as a Silver Pencilled but am I now wondering if he is not actually Silver Partridge (with mottle? re: chest)

And I've included a picture of one of the two hens that I suspect might be mom. The other hen (which I don't have a picture of) is similar to the one pictured but would be called Mille Fleur (with the black edgings before the white mottles).

Attachments:
File comment: Possible Mum. Other Possible Mum is Mille Fleur.
00000006.JPG
00000006.JPG [ 2.81 MiB | Viewed 589 times ]
File comment: Dad
00000902.JPG
00000902.JPG [ 2.76 MiB | Viewed 589 times ]
File comment: Pekin Roo 12 Wks Old - Distinctive Rust and Black markings with (Mottling?)
2018-03-04 Baby Roo 12 Wks 1.JPG
2018-03-04 Baby Roo 12 Wks 1.JPG [ 2.17 MiB | Viewed 589 times ]
File comment: Pekin Roo 9 Wks Old - Developing black and rust patches on chest and body.
Baby Roo 9 Wks0004.JPG
Baby Roo 9 Wks0004.JPG [ 1.95 MiB | Viewed 589 times ]
File comment: Pekin Roo 9 Wks Old
Baby Roo 9 Wks0002.JPG
Baby Roo 9 Wks0002.JPG [ 2.19 MiB | Viewed 589 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:09 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

For additional help - here are two pictures of the pullet sisters. There are 4 of the lighter colour and 3 of the darker colour. I want to say they are Silver Partridge? The lighter hens may have something like Dark Brown gene to give them the paler look?

I don't see any mottling effects on any of the hens so am somewhat confused as to how the young rooster could be showing mottling and yet non of the young hens. Unless by some miracle that rooster baby had a different mom to ALL the baby hens... it's possible..

Attachments:
File comment: Darker hen chicks x3
Girls 9 Wks001.JPG
Girls 9 Wks001.JPG [ 1.96 MiB | Viewed 588 times ]
File comment: Lighter hen chicks x4
Girls 9 Wks002.JPG
Girls 9 Wks002.JPG [ 2.09 MiB | Viewed 588 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:22 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Males and females quite often show different colouring simply due to sex, so they still might have the same mum. Whatever they are, they're a pretty bunch, and look nice and healthy. Pekins are great little chickens.