Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Best off the shelf non mutant meat bird breed NSW

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:41 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Does anybody know what the best available non "commercial" chicken breed for meat in NSW that I can just go out and buy?

I want to have a breeding flock and eat what they create. I don't have the time to cross breed and don't have much interest in eggs except for raising them.

Trying to get away from raising these mutant commercial birds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:07 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Probably the only purebred options are the recently imported Ixworth (meat) and Fred Hams Light Sussex (dual purpose).
I have a meat line project that was Ixworth roo x commercial meat hen for the first cross.
Now hatching third generation.
Planning to select the fastest maturing from each generation to breed on with, maybe bringing a commercial hen back in every now and then.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:08 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Sorry, late to respond to this - Indian Game are the classic meat breed for purebreeds.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:12 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

G'Day all , new to here but not to experimental breeding , i have recently done some research on this subject , some mebers here have given me some ideas as well as a very informative chat with a small scale commercial chook grower ( 3 - 5000 per year )
to have a reasonable meat chook ( high feed conversion rate ) you need some genetics from the commercial lines , here in lies the issue , these chooks ( Cobb 500 , Ross 308 etc etc ) are bred for very short life spans of upto 12 weeks , so a lot of modification to how you normally grow them is needed to get them to a breeding age , their liver is very small , this trait is needed to get the extreme growth rate , to get them to any sort of breeding age the key is apparently to get day olds mid - late march ( victoria ) & semi free range them from about 4 weeks & free range them on sparse ground once feathered but at the same time restrict food consumption , the current meat birds make 1 kg of meat from 1.55 kg of grower feed , so if you think the chook will be mature at 3 kg it will need 4.5 kg of feed plus environmental losses of about 50 % because it is free ranging & burning it off, so you would have to attempt to ration 7.5 - 8 kg over 20 weeks of cool weather, but at the same time keeping up a coccidiosis management plan as the small liver leaves them vulnerable to disease , once you get your mature meat pullets you can start your own breeding program , from my research you put a solid heritage breed that lays well over your meat hens , then eat the pullets from their eggs & put the rooster over another heritage hen of solid build & hatch these out to grow , if you wish to sacrifice growth rate put a Malay game bird over a white leg horn , light sussex , Australorp or R I R but they will take a minimum of 16 weeks to fill out ,
the feed you give the meat birds also influences lifespan , dont exceed 19 % protein or you will cook their liver after 6-8 weeks as it is only designed to work for that long

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:52 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have a similar project I put an Ixworth roo over a commercial meat line hen. Offspring were variable in growth rates but my plan is to select the bigger birds and breed them on. Not anticipating the same growth rate or feed to meat ratio as the commercials but I do like the idea of breeding my own birds!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:07 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

from the info i have obtained you use the male birds from your first X batch of meat chooks as your sires , not sure why you dont use the pullets
until next autumn when it will be favourable to grow the commercials to laying age i will attempt to get a few heritage breeds of pullets happening so i can see what works the best , Im thinking a RIR/ Austra male over a new hampshire red hen , the NHR are the fastest maturing of the heritsge breeds that i can find from available info , the other experiment will be a 3/4 IGB over the NHR
Now if we could just cross an IGB with an Ostrich ???