Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Marans X Cream legbar

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:43 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Not sure of the difference between redder form of off white or pink but I think pink as New Hampshire are a 'tinted brown' not white egg layer.
Yes - they produce that colour through the year.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:51 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

philthomas1 wrote:
On the subject of blue eggs - I also have several crosses laying blue eggs, happy enough with the size (compared to my original pathetically small Ara eggs!).
Looking to deepen or darken the colour, I am planning to keep crossing and selecting darker eggs (as you do with Marans or Welsummer) if there are any.
Anyone up on the blue egg genetics to give some tips on this project?

gorgeous eggs colour . you have done well my friend .
so the green one are from your F1 ?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:53 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

philthomas1 wrote:
Not sure of the difference between redder form of off white or pink but I think pink as New Hampshire are a 'tinted brown' not white egg layer.
Yes - they produce that colour through the year.

agree with you ,there is no white egg genetic in the mix .
the egg is pink .

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:55 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

philthomas1 wrote:
Do you not think it possible to concentrate the blue egg colour rather than breed green then breed back to white to breed the brown back out?
I have never heard of any Legbars that lay pink eggs apart from the 'Cotswold Legbars' which I suspect are a crossbred with a clever marketing program?
https://www.legbarsofbroadway.co.uk/ind ... ld-legbar/
This is my 'pink' egg autosexing project based on New Hampshire.

good body type ,love the cockerel color and comb .
those are your F1?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:05 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

philthomas1 wrote:
On the subject of blue eggs - I also have several crosses laying blue eggs, happy enough with the size (compared to my original pathetically small Ara eggs!).
Looking to deepen or darken the colour, I am planning to keep crossing and selecting darker eggs (as you do with Marans or Welsummer) if there are any.
Anyone up on the blue egg genetics to give some tips on this project?

most of the blue eggs crosses produce some blue egg layer .that how Cream Leg Bar started .
for the egg to be true Blue .need to be free from any other colored egg genes . and the shell has to be blue all the way through inside and out .
if F1 are bred between them selves they will produce certain percentage of pullets that will lay true Blue egg . F3 produced from F2 Blue layer will produce 100% true Blue .

other way to do it is to cross back the F1 or F2 { only Blue and Green layer} to Blue layer egg strain Aras or CLB .

my F1 start laying only few .2 pullets lay Blue eggs ,1 lay Green egg .and 1 off blue .
the Blue eggs layer will be crossed back to CLB rooster to strengthen the Blue egg genes and keep the new body pattern I m breeding .

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:48 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks for info Jose.
I will keep in mind for my ara crosses. My cute little dark buff girl laid her first egg yesterday. Perfect blue egg.

Still facinated by the prospect of pink. Is this a mutation of blue egg gene? Sorry for all questions. Really a beginner.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:07 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

those are your F1?[/quote]

Yes - mating these two for my double barred roo for the next generation. Also putting the barred roo over my 'pink egg' New Hampshire and will be keeping the pullets from that mating for the next generation. For the Hambars (Barred New Hampshire) which was the original plan before adding in the possibility of pink egg layers I need to select for yellow legs.

Last edited by philthomas1 on Fri May 01, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:10 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

so the green one are from your F1 ?[/quote]

Yes - the green are crosses of my blue egg and Marans

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:25 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Okaru wrote:
Thanks for info Jose.
I will keep in mind for my ara crosses. My cute little dark buff girl laid her first egg yesterday. Perfect blue egg.

Still facinated by the prospect of pink. Is this a mutation of blue egg gene? Sorry for all questions. Really a beginner.

in my experience I found the impure Black copper marans lines lay pink egg . my friend in Melbourne had them ,they where F2 .come from Croad langshan X Wheaten marans ,
base of eggs colors genes are White { shell all white inside out Leghorn chooks}. Blue { inside out Araucana } and the tinted { all sort of shades .only the outside .inside still white ,must be a mutation from the white . Marans are the best expression of the darker shade}

egg color is very complex .especially when crossing . I have seen dark egg almost black , red. Violet . stunning colour but they do no breed true . or no buddy has tried to put the work needed ,a lot of years of hard selection and breeding .
that what I m trying to do ,breed for egg color and see if I can make them stable hybrid .

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:28 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

philthomas1 wrote:
so the green one are from your F1 ?

Yes - the green are crosses of my blue egg and Marans[/quote]

where the marans rooster or hen ?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:35 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

philthomas1 wrote:
those are your F1?

Yes - mating these two for my double barred roo for the next generation. Also putting the barred roo over my 'pink egg' New Hampshire and will be keeping the pullets from that mating for the next generation. For the Hambars (Barred New Hampshire) which was the original plan before adding in the possibility of pink egg layers I need to select for yellow legs.[/quote]

I see .I like yellow legs .bright yellow . some of crosses have gorgeous yellow beak and legs .
you seem to have few project going on .
so you are trying to breed a strain of Barred New Hampshire ,with pink egg color and yellow legs .?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:07 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

The Hambar standard (as they are Barred New Hampshire) need to follow the New Hampshire standard which is yellow legs.
Next generation will decide if I continue with pink egged Hambars, pink egged auto sexers or Hambars laying whatever colour egg!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:05 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

My best pink egg - hoping to get more of these!

Attachments:
Pink egg green holder.jpg
Pink egg green holder.jpg [ 41.86 KiB | Viewed 2625 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:24 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

philthomas1 wrote:
The Hambar standard (as they are Barred New Hampshire) need to follow the New Hampshire standard which is yellow legs.
Next generation will decide if I continue with pink egged Hambars, pink egged auto sexers or Hambars laying whatever colour egg!

good to know . the pink egg is extra . I think they look gorgeous why not fix that as a main trait too . you have it ,why loose it .
so the Hambars are like the Golden golden cuckoo marans { Barred Black tail buff marans } love the pattern I think is gorgeous.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:29 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

philthomas1 wrote:
My best pink egg - hoping to get more of these!

beautiful . I think you should try to breed it true ,stunning colour .

I have few White marans hens come from a same line I bought last year .they lay pink eggs .I like the egg color but it wrong for marans not pure .so I m going to breed them this year to F1 cockerels { Marans roo X CLB hens} to work on the pink and a blue egg color without loosing neither of them .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next