Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - mixing breeds

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mixing breeds
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:46 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

A neighbour has Australorp hens, and borrowed my Light Sussex rooster. He has a batch of chickens now, half of which are bright yellow, the other half are all black. Neither of us can sex chicks.
Are the colours at all indicative of the sex of these guys? All opinions appreciated.
Cheers
barrycon

Post subject: Re: mixing breeds
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:41 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

There is a very good chance that the white will be roosters and the blacks will be pullets

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:48 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks very much for that Tink - we won't hold you to it if that turns out not to be the case, but at least it is a heads-up. We will watch with interest.
I do know that Isa chicks are easily separated as the 'roos are mainly white and the hens predominantly red, but beyond that I/we don't have a clue.
Cheers, keep well and keep your distance.
barrycon

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:52 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I suspect the australorp hen is not pure black genetically. If she was, all the chicks in this batch should have been black.
I also have australorp crosses with sussex roosters. I find the F1 boys tend to get some birchen colouring (when they feather up), while the girls remain dark, perhaps with white on the face. I dont think this will necessarily happen if the hen is a cross. Does your neighbour know the breeder of their hen? Perhaps they can ask about the origins?
Theres still a high probability you have 50:50 boys and girls, but doubtful it will be a colour thing.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:56 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks Okaru
He bought a batch of Australorp hens from a large supplier of feeds and birds in Sydney, who acquires them from a breeder. They are pretty much identical, and look to me like the current standard for "Australorp" - pretty different to what I remember as a lad 60 years ago.
Personally, I was astounded that they were so differentiated - I thought there might be some colour splashes or something, but no.
Will watch with interest.
barrycon

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:19 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

barrycon wrote:
Thanks Okaru
He bought a batch of Australorp hens from a large supplier of feeds and birds in Sydney, who acquires them from a breeder. They are pretty much identical, and look to me like the current standard for "Australorp" - pretty different to what I remember as a lad 60 years ago.
Personally, I was astounded that they were so differentiated - I thought there might be some colour splashes or something, but no.
Will watch with interest.
barrycon

60 years ago they where true utility bird .solid and heavy farm chooks ,laying a lot of eggs
this day they are all bred for showing ,lot green sheen on they feathers ,a lot fluff making the bird look more larger than they are .

plus Like Okaru said .if they are pure ,true Australorp all the chicks will be black at hatch.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:58 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Genetics is fun, Barry :)
The breeders of chooks for the big companies frequently cross their birds to achieve robust layers. The girls might display black, but can still carry another colour.

In black cross breeds, each egg the girls produce will have a 50 percent chance of carrying the black gene. The rest of the eggs will have the gene for the other colour the girls are carrying. The black genes dominate the light Sussex rooster's white genes. Any chick carrying that black gene will be black.

Even though all the chicks are carrying a white gene from the rooster, only the ones hatching from eggs not carrying their mother's black will be white.... Which is half of them and which is why we know their mums are crosses....

The next generation will be even more interesting..... (as yet we don't know what the other colours are!)

Whatever your neighbour has will likely to grow into nice egg laying birds. They should not be disappointed to find they have purchased australorp crosses. Besides, life isn't all black and white.... :) ha ha

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:04 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Australorp crosses usually have orange eyes instead of dark, great layers. Yes they should end up with good layers , very Hardy birds, hybrid vigor.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:31 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks everybody for your comments and interest. I saw the chickens today, and the whites are developing the light sussex wing feathering. We will post again when we know what the outcome is regarding sexes
Cheers, keep well and keep your distance
barrycon

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:04 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

OK, so I'm going out on a limb here...... This is based only on observations of my own lines..... I have no experience on anyone else's......

Here goes... The black ones with white flecks on the wing feathers will be boys. The black ones with no discernible white will be girls.
For the ones with sussex markings it might be too late to make a gender guess. The ones with early wing and tail development will be girls. At the age where everyone is already showing neck feathers it is a bit late. You minght be waiting a couple more weeks for comb and wattle development.

This is almost as exciting as watching my own ....... (Sad, isnt it?)
Send pics when able!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:41 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi all
Attached is a photo of some of the chickens - they were pretty camera shy, so this is the best shot I got.
Observing them, I did notice a couple of the white chickens mock fighting; perhaps they are boys.
Still waiting for the breakdown of boys and girls.
Cheers
barrycon

Attachments:
003.JPG
003.JPG [ 1.67 MiB | Viewed 6442 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:18 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Well Barrycon.....
My virtual limbs have been cut off. I'm armless, legless and branchless. :oops:
Looks like quite a few boys in this group, who all look completely different to chicks i get from my crosses.....

More predictability when you know the parents and grandparents.....
:think:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:00 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

good looking healthy chicks ,few white cockerels in there ,
the mother hens are not Australorp ,if they where all chicks will be black .
I like the early feathering type of the chicks ,all fully feathered ,great trait.
keep posting as they grow ,interested to see how they turn up .
cheers for sharing .good luck