Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What are "Vulture hocks"?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:13 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

In the Australian Poultry Standards for Silkies, it says that one of the serious defects birds can have are "vulture hocks". :? What are these things, and what do they look like? With poultry auctions coming up soon (how exciting, I love going to the auctions and maybe coming home with new chooks!!) and trying to decide which of my chicks from this year are the best to keep, I want to only keep birds as close to the standard as I can get.

Thanks. :D
Jamie

Post subject: Vulture Hocks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:40 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Best described as feathers that descend from the back of the birds hock, (knee joint) and continue on for about 2-3cm.Pointing downwards, like a vulture. One breed in which this is a feature, not a fault is the Sultan. Only about 4 breeders of them in Oz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:07 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Frank is correct,
Vulture Hocks are Stiff quill feathers growing from the thigh. It is a serious breeding fault in breeds like cochin and brahmas.

Breeds that should have vulture hocks include Sultan, booted bantams & breda fowl. About the only breed seen comonly in Australia with them though is d"Uccle belgian bantams (but hard to see due to birds wing carriage).

Andy.V

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:46 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Oh, thanks. :D I don't think any of my birds have that. If they are stiff feathers, I think I would notice it fairly easily on a silkie. None of my birds have feathers growing out of the back of thier hocks. Lots down the outside of the leg and the outside toe with a smattering on the middle toe, so it looks like I don't have to worry.

Thanks again,
Jamie