Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Chooks in the vegie garden

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:38 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I'm having lots of fun experimenting with growing food for my chooks that will also feed the soil for my vegies. So far I've tried buckwheat, lupins, BQ mulch (brassicas), oats, fenugreek, clover, chickweed and nettle. The chooks are in a mobile dome so they get to eat and fertilize an area when the crop is ready. Before that I protect the growing seed with a rough frame of chicken wire with bird netting over the top - this stops the wild birds eating the seed also. Even without the dome, it's easy to grow patches of chook fodder and then dig in the chook poo when the chooks have eaten their fill - instant vegie patch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:58 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Sounds great. I have been thinking of growing sunflowers, and storing the heads to throw to the chooks later in the year, or to tie up so they entertain themselves pecking at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:47 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

My chooks weren't too interested in helping themselves to sunflower seeds from the heads I hung in their house last summer...but I'll try it again this year. Next door's chooks loved them! And mine love eating sunflower seeds in their scratch grain. I'm planning to grow enough this summer to store some seed for the chooks to have later in the year as well - plus they look so lovely in the garden. Cheers, Judy

Post subject: sunflowers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:49 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hello

I grew sunflowers for my chooks for the first time last summer. My birds have loved pecking at the heads of dried seed. I had to break some seed off at first so they got the idea of what to do. Will grow more this year so they last longer into winter.

Regards
Donna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:12 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

One thing I've noticed about my chooks is that they are happy to eat GROWING food (eg when they free range, or something growing in a pot - I give them a pot of comfrey if the day is too wet to go out) but won't eat the same food if it's picked and hanging in their house! The exception is fresh fruit like canteloupe or persimmon, or vegies chopped into their mash. I'll see whether they peck at the growing sunflowers next summer. :P