Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Egg recipes

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Egg recipes
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:19 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Today I made sweet quiche, savoury "paper-wrapped" quiches, then with the spare whites I made a sort of egg-white friand (recipe found by my mother), and then gave in to my desire for custard and made that.

And then REALLY gave in and made rhubarb fool. Which doesn't have egg in it unless one mixes in a spoonful of the custard as a token egg gesture. And then I ate all of it. Yum.

Recipes will follow but not tonight. I'm just skiting about a whole day of cooking.

Oh, and I had boiled eggs for lunch :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:07 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Sweet quiche recipe!

This is the standard quiche recipe from Elizabeth David's "French Provincial Cooking". I include the pastry recipe although I cheated this time and used bought puff pastry. Quantities are British Imperial except where I've already adjusted to metric - I cook in a mix of imperial and metric, sorry!

Pastry:

4 oz plain flour
2 oz butter (use unsalted for a sweet pastry).
1 egg
salt (could replace with sugar for a sweet pastry).
water (~ 2-4 tablespoons, depending)

Rub softened butter into flour and salt. Add egg and then enough water to make a soft dough, but still firm enough to come away from the sides of the bowl. Knead into a ball, wrap in plastic or baking paper, and leave for two hours. (or bung in the fridge for 30mins if you're impatient like me).

When ready to use, roll out thinly and line an 8 inch flan tin. Prick the surface with a fork. No blind baking required.

Filling:

These are the base ingredients for a quiche.

1/2 pint (300ml) cream
3 egg yolks, well-beaten
1 whole egg

Pre-heat oven to about 200C. You may need it a little lower, depending on hot your oven is.

This is where I started adapting. The original recipe calls for rashers of cooked bacon to line the pastry, adding salt and pepper, and then pouring the mix over the bacon and cooking.

So, I added:

2-3 tsp caster sugar (I didn't want it too sweet).
Finely-chopped mint.
Dried lemon myrtle.
Sliced strawberries and/or stewed rhubarb.

Line pastry with strawberry. Mix sugar and herbs into egg and cream mix. Add slightly squished strawberries to cream and blend. Pour mix into pastry.

Put into oven for about 20mins. Then lower oven to about 170C for 10mins. It should puff up like a souffle. If it hasn't, raise the heat a bit until it does.

I wanted something eggy-and-fruity, so didn't make it very sweet. You can adjust this to your own tastebuds. It's a flexible recipe :)

Last edited by infoaddict on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:16 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

And then with the spare egg whites, you make these light, crisp, and surprisingly not-too-sweet friands:

Light friands from the Bourke St Bakery in Sydney.

150g almond meal
90g plain flour
240g pure icing sugar
1tsp baking powder
280ml egg whites (approx. 8 whites, depending on size of eggs used)
250g unsalted butter, melted

Fruit for decoration if you're inclined.

Grease 12 standard muffin tins, or 24 baby ones. Heat oven to 190C.

This is very easily made using the whisk attachment on a Kenwood or similar.

Mix dry ingedients. Slowly whisk in whites. Pour in butter. Whisk until just combined. It looks almost like a batter - don't panic! Pour into muffin trays. Top with fruit if adding. Bake 30mins or until lightly golden and puffed up (it was 25mins in my oven and a little overcooked, but it's temperamental).

Glorious warm. Excellent cold.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:28 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Then I needed some savouries and made paper-wrapped quiches:

6 large eggs
100ml milk
400g spinachy things (I used chard and warrigal greens)
2 tbsp grated parmesan or gruyere cheese
2 thick slices ham (I used about 8 rashers of bacon :) )
2 tbsp chopped chives or parsley (or whatever herbs you fancy)
8 cherry tomatoes, halved

Pre-heat oven to 180C. Cut 8 lots of 15cm baking paper squares and line muffin trays with them.

Cook spinachy things until wilted, squeeze dry. Beat eggs with milk, cheese, salt, pepper, and chives. Scatter some spinach and ham into muffin bits and pour egg mixture in. Top with cherry tomato halves. Bake 12-15mins until just set. Eat warm or cool.

Note that aside from the eggs and milk, all the other ingredients can be mixed and matched as desired. A sweet version is in the works :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:35 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

They all sound fantastic infoaddict!! Thanks for sharing the recipes, I'll definitely be trying all of them :biggrin:

...and a gentle bullmastiff 'Otis'

Registered animal foster carer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:48 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I have plans for experimental egg-white savouries. My mother reckons they probably won't work but hey, what better time to try than with a desperate surplus of eggs?

At worst, the chooks get them back. So it's hardly a waste :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:36 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have set myself a challenge and started a food blog, focussed on egg recipes. I just love food blogs, cooking, photography, graphic design so seems like a good way to combine some interests!

First entry completed today... I'm going to add a recipe per week... will see how that goes!

oops - forgot to add blog link! http://eggyrecipes.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:47 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Mmmmm That one sounds good Rae!

NellyG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:54 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

It sure does - mmmm mmmmmmmmmmm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:06 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

This is very addictive, and not exactly good for you...

Chocolate fudge brownies
250g butter, melted but not hot
2 cups caster sugar
4 eggs at room temperature
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tsp vanilla essence
230g packet dark chocolate chips
2/3 cup plain flour

Preheat oven to 150 degrees fan bake.
Using an electric beater mix butter, sugar, eggs, cocoa and vanilla together until evenly combined. Do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips and flour.

Lightly grease a 33cm x 23cm baking tin then line with baking paper. Spread mixture in tin and bakd for 55-60 minutes or until an even crust has formed on the top. Remove from oven and cool in tin. Turn out when cold and wrap in tinfoil.

The recipe says it keeps fresh in the pantry for 7-10 days... I put it in the fridge and am lucky to get 24 hrs :rofl: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:27 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Pancetta and Spinach Stratta

- 4 slices of Pancetta or 4 rashes of bacon
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 packet of shredded spinach
- 3 cloves of garlic diced
- 4 eggs and 1/2 a cup of milk mixed together
- 1 mdm to lge crusty bread loaf cut into mdm sized cubes (about the same size as ice cubes)
- Parm cheese

Cut the pancetta into cubes and place in a fry-pan on medium heat. Once the pancetta goes crispy add the onion (you may need to add some oil if you didn't get much fat out of the pancetta), and then add the garlic when the onion starts to go clear. Add the spinach, season and take of the heat.

Grease a medium sized baking dish and place a layer of the cubed bread loaf (doesn't matter if there is gaps). Then sprinkle the pancetta spinach mixture on top (you don't have to completely cover it). Repeat the process in layers unto you run out of bread and the pancetta mixture. Pour the egg mixture over the top and cover the dish and put it in the fridge unto the bread soaks up all the juice (usually takes a few hours).

Before placing the dish in the oven sprinkle with parm cheese. Cook until golden at about 220 deg, takes about 20-30 minutes. Leave to sit for 10 minutes before serving.

This recipe is based on a traditional Italian farmer dish, so is very very filling.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:13 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Sounds great! Thanks :biggrin:

Dan.S wrote:
Pancetta and Spinach Stratta

- 4 slices of Pancetta or 4 rashes of bacon
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 packet of shredded spinach
- 3 cloves of garlic diced
- 4 eggs and 1/2 a cup of milk mixed together
- 1 mdm to lge crusty bread loaf cut into mdm sized cubes (about the same size as ice cubes)
- Parm cheese

Cut the pancetta into cubes and place in a fry-pan on medium heat. Once the pancetta goes crispy add the onion (you may need to add some oil if you didn't get much fat out of the pancetta), and then add the garlic when the onion starts to go clear. Add the spinach, season and take of the heat.

Grease a medium sized baking dish and place a layer of the cubed bread loaf (doesn't matter if there is gaps). Then sprinkle the pancetta spinach mixture on top (you don't have to completely cover it). Repeat the process in layers unto you run out of bread and the pancetta mixture. Pour the egg mixture over the top and cover the dish and put it in the fridge unto the bread soaks up all the juice (usually takes a few hours).

Before placing the dish in the oven sprinkle with parm cheese. Cook until golden at about 220 deg, takes about 20-30 minutes. Leave to sit for 10 minutes before serving.

This recipe is based on a traditional Italian farmer dish, so is very very filling.

...and a gentle bullmastiff 'Otis'

Registered animal foster carer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:57 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi guys and gals, how would you go with using duck eggs in these recipes.
Is there any difference between chook and duck eggs, despite the size.

Kind regards Ellen Kerr.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:31 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Flavour, generally. The whites are physically stronger and hold more air, so many people prefer them for baking.

I had duck eggs that were the same size as chook eggs (Khaki Campbells) and substituted without any changes. Recipes were FINE. (Delicious, even).

Larger duck eggs you may need to make a call - if a recipe calls for three eggs, maybe you can use two. If it calls for one ... well, just use one :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:30 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for the info. Just gotta get the duck now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next