Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Egg recipes

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Egg recipes
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:55 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ok, Perhaps a little "Special" but yummy....

Crab Omelettes with spicy Cucumber Salsa

The Salsa

4 tbspn coconut/rice vinegar
3 tbspn white sugar
1 small chillie diced (optional)
1 Lebanese cucumber diced
1 red shallot diced
1 tbspn grated ginger
1 clove of garlic
1 tbspn chopped corriander
1 tbspn vegetable oil
1 tbspn fish sauce

The Omelette

8 medium free range eggs (Don't know where you could find these??) :roll:
Salt/ pepper to taste
240g Crab meat
spray of oil
4 tspn butter.

You can use dried or jared ingredients (herbs/ crab), but fresh is nicer.

Mix salsa ingredients together and stand for one hour.

Beat the eggs, cook until firm but foaming (not too wet), and the omeltte ingredients.

Now..you could do this in different ways.

4 separate folded omelettes
one omelette - cook slowly though fold - OR serve as an open omelette (put the lid on to cook) Like a Fritatta.

Serve with the spicy salsa (not spicy without the chillie/s)

Cheers

Tammy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:41 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Ok Chief Egg Eaters

We need more recipes - I am making an egg recipe book for all of us to enjoy.

So keep posting and when I get sick of formatting them etc I will send everyone a work document to be prinetd out and put on your shelves.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:05 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hey Pepe!

Don't you mean "Pidgeon" holes :rofl:

Tammy
Yeah...Ok...not that funny... :|

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:24 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thats fantastic pepe, :thumbs: I can't wait I love cooking with eggs. Maybe you could get it published and make some money as well. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:35 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Sunday Baked Eggs With Spinach, And Cheese

Ingredients
250g baby spinach leaves
8 eggs
150g cheddar cheese (grated)
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Method
Wash the spinach well and put into a saucepan with a splash of water. Cook over a high heat until the spinach collapses. Drain the spinach well and divide amongst four plates.

Gently break two eggs into each dish, without breaking the yolks.

Grate the cheese finely and sprinkle around the edges.

Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Bake in a pre-heated 180C oven for 10-15 minutes until the eggs set.

Serve at once with hot toast.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:37 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Bacon, Cheese & Onion Pudding
26 / 02 / 07 Ray McVinnie
This is a cross between scrambled eggs, frittata and savoury bread and butter pudding. It appeals to most age groups and can do duty for brunch, lunch with a salad, dinner with a green vegetable and roast potatoes or as a supper dish.

Ingredients
4 tablespoons olive oil
12 pickling onions, peeled
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1⁄3 loaf sourdough or French bread, ripped into bite-sized pieces
5 eggs
500ml milk
1 cup chopped rindless bacon
4 tablespoons finely chopped chives
2 cups grated tasty cheddar

Method
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan over moderate heat and add the onions and garlic. Cover and fry gently for around 30 minutes until the onions are soft and golden.

Place the onions in an ovenproof casserole dish and set aside.

Put the bread into a roasting dish and add the remaining oil, toss well, roast in the oven around 8 minutes or until well browned.

Add the roasted bread to the onions and mix so that everything is evenly distributed.

Beat the eggs and milk together, stir in the bacon, chives and cheese, and pour evenly over the onions and bread. Bake for 30 minutes or until set, puffed and golden. Remove from the oven and serve. Serves 6.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:38 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

French toast for pudding
26 / 05 / 01 Laurie Black

If you're like me and only manage a cooked breakfast about twice a year, this might be a solution to all the missing out that you're doing. Omit the marsala for children if you prefer.

Ingredients
6 slices brioche or stale white bread
8 eggs
1/4 cup cream
1/4 cup dry marsala
1/4 cup caster sugar
butter
whipped cream and poached fruit in syrup (eg rhubarb) to serve

Method
Remove the top and bottom crusts from the brioche and cut each slice in half. Whisk the eggs together with the cream, marsala and sugar and pour into a wide bowl. Soak the brioche in this mixture for a minute each side. Heat some butter in a pan and gently fry the eggy brioche until browned on each side. Serve piled up on plates with whipped cream, fruit and syrup

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:40 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Asparagus, Chorizo & Potato Frittata
28 / 11 / 00 Natalia Schamroth

This recipe makes a frittata to feed one person. Simply multiply the recipe to make a larger frittata or more individual ones. It is just as delicious cold as it is hot from the pan.

Manchego cheese is a firm sheep’s milk cheese from Spain. If you cannot find this, try Pecorino.
(Manchego is yummy but expensive - I've found it in Simon and Johnson shop)

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 chorizo sausage, sliced
1 small waxy potato, scrubbed, boiled, peeled and sliced
2 eggs, lightly beaten, seasoned with salt and pepper
6 thin asparagus spears, hard stalks removed
6 basil leaves
2 tablespoons Manchego cheese, finely grated

Method
Heat the oil in a small, heavy-based skillet. Fry the chorizo and potato for 30 seconds on each side. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo and potato from the skillet into the eggs. Add the asparagus and mix well.Pour the egg mix into the hot skillet. Use a wooden spoon to distribute the ingredients evenly in the pan. Cook over a moderate heat until the egg has set. Transfer to a plate. Sprinkle with basil leaves and Manchego cheese. Serves 1.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:42 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Mum’s Yoghurt Pancakes
30 / 10 / 08 Celia Harvey
Mum’s pancakes always feature at our special breakfasts or brunches, though there is stiff competition, with my sister claiming the title of reigning pancake queen.

Nothing goes with these better than a fresh berry compote in season, or Melba-style with peaches.

Ingredients
2 cups plain flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup melted butter, plus extra for cooking
1 cup low-fat yoghurt
2 chips (250g each) strawberries, hulled and quartered
4 ripe golden peaches, diced
1 cup softly whipped cream
¼ cup icing sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons toasted flaked almonds

Method
In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingedients then mix in the milk, vanilla, lemon juice, eggs and melted butter. Stir in the yoghurt until just mixed.

In a bowl fold the fruit through the cream and mix in the icing sugar.

Spray a large frying pan with non-stick spray then place on the heat and melt a little butter. When the butter foams, drop in tablespoonfuls of the batter. When bubbles form on top of the pancakes, turn to cook the otherside (about 2 minutes each side).

Serve immediately with the cream and sprinkle with toasted flaked almonds. Makes 20.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:45 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Basque Eggs
01 / 01 / 06 Ray McVinnie

This dish is like a deconstructed frittata with flavours reminiscent of the Basque dish piperade. Try it for brunch or for lunch with a crunchy green salad.

Ingredients
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium red onions, finely diced
4 courgettes, sliced 2cm
1 red and 1 yellow capsicum, cored, seeded and sliced 2cm
1/2 medium eggplant, diced 3cm
1 small hot red chilli, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon sweet smoked Spanish paprika
1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leafed parsley
8 organic eggs
1 cup cherry tomatoes
6 paper-thin slices prosciutto
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method
Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil over moderate heat in a heavy frying pan. Add the onions, courgettes, capsicums, eggplant, chilli and garlic. Panfry, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until everything has softened and browned.

Stir in the paprika and parsley, mix well then remove from the heat. Oil a shallow ovenproof dish with the remaining oil. Pour the vegetable mixture evenly into the dish and break the eggs on top, leaving them whole and evenly distributed over the surface.

Push the tomatoes and prosciutto in beside the eggs. Season with salt and pepper.

Place in the oven and bake 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are just set and the prosciutto is crisp. Remove from the oven and serve. Serves 4-6.

All the above recipes are selections from the Cuisine web site - pity I couldn't post the pictures - they look so good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:13 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

But you can ...

Bacon, Cheese & Onion Pudding
French toast for pudding
Asparagus, Chorizo & Potato Frittata
Basque Eggs

Can't find the pancake one - it's a shame - they tasted great!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:19 am 
Swan
Swan

This is one i make for myself, came up with it be good for a sunday breaky or xmas day breaky.
ok this is what its made up off a slice of toast this is the base and then i get a bit of Bacon or Ham and cook it up sit that on the toast and then put a bit of Pine apple on top of that, some Stewed tomatoes. chop up 1-2 tomatoes (depends on size) and put some sugar in the frying pan with this, and a egg and then some BBQ Sauce, I don't do it all in that order but sometimes the eggs is above the bacon or ham. and i use two bits of toast :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:29 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I made the bacon , cheese and onion pudding tonight and it was really yum! Highly recommended. Thanks for putting the recipe up stella :biggrin:

NellyG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:33 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I need to start at page 1 and work my way through, after a week off work and thus no outlet for our eggs, as we're averaging about 15doz a week ... EEP.

First step - a sweet custard made with coconut milk :) (I ADORE custard and icecreams, but have run out of milk right now ... ). (I'm also making a stovetop rice pudding but it doesn't use eggs ... well, at this stage it doesn't ... ).

Ooo ... step 2 - the tortillas espanol.

Third step is pickled eggs, using the recipe in Stephanie Alexander's Big Orange (or Silver) Book (called the BOB and therefore nicknamed the "Kate". Obscure Blackadder reference). I'll post it if/when it looks like it worked.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:41 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

NellyG wrote:
I was just re-reading this thread to get some inspiration! So I'll add another recipe I discovered recently and really like.

Tortilla Espanola

700g onions finely sliced
700g ordinary white potatoes
5 eggs

Heat some oil in a frying pan and add the onions and cook very slowly, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes till soft and golden. Peel the potatoes and slice inot rounds. Add these to the onions and turn up the heat a little. Cook till soft and golden but not crisp. Stir frequently and break them up with a spatula. When you hav a brown mush (sounds nice doesn't it?) take it off the heat and drain any excess oil and let it cool slightly. Beat the eggs and add the onion mixture to them, mixing well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a non stick pan over medium heat and add a sixth of the mixture. Cook for about 2 minutes pushing on the edges with a spatula to make a rounded tortilla. Invert onto a plate and then gently slide it back into the pan to cook the other side. I should be only just cooked to slightly runny in the middle, so don't overcook. Turn out onto a warm plate and keep warm. Repeat with the rest..Serve immediately or enjoy cold.

I found them great with chilli beans. YUM!

NellyG :lol: :lol: :lol:

A few notes for people like me who need more detail :)

1. Use potatoes suitable for mashing. I used waxy potatoes (because that's what I had) and they just don't turn into the right kind of mush. I've ended up with nice elegant broken-up slices of potato, which are breaking up the tortillas too much as I cook.
2. Cook slowly. I tried to speed things up a bit and really, you need quite a slow cook to make everything rich and caramelised - both the mash phase and the tortilla phase.
3. Keep it quite thin. The one that failed was because it was too fat in the middle (due to large slices of potato). The thinner ones are working quite nicely indeed.
4. Additives are quite nice. I added haloumi cheese because again, I had some to use up. It sorts of gloops everywhere but is veeeery nice.
5. It's hot straight from the frypan!! *yow*

It is delicious, and a perfect Sunday night leftover fry-up sort of a thing. Essentially it's a potato cake, and pretty forgiving.

But use floury potatoes if you can :)

*trots off to eat #2 and cook #5 and 6*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next