Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Does raising the soil level suffocate trees?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:24 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Ok so last week I was digging a big hole in the garden and needed to find a home for the soil.

I also had some spare agapanthus. So I placed the soil around a little Jacaranda about 10cm deep and planted the Agapanthus.

I should add that first I mixed compost and vermiculite in to improve this soil.

Arborist came yesterday to look at another tree and mentioned in passing that he thinks I should undo that garden bed because adding soil on top of the existing soil level will "suffocate" the roots and kill the Jacaranda.

Is this true??? I really don't want to kill the tree but I'm kind of sick of shoveling!

BTW - it looks like the new garden bed is really close to the trunk but it's actually half on top of some rocks that were placed around the base of the tree by the original person who planted it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:50 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The roots of the Jacaranda, will have spread to about the width of the canopy so won't all be covered, and the soil will settle a bit. I think the greater risk is that the Agapanthus will spread and use the nutrients and starve the tree. They also produce a lot of root which will be more of a problem than the soil cover. Pity as it will be a lovely planting combination. Wish I could grow Jacarandas, too cold here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:02 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Nah! It will be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:14 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Ok. I won't panic just yet. Thanks everyone! :th

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:10 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

The other thing that might be relevant is that agapanthus don't flower very well in the shade. They'll look fine though if you just want something green.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:25 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I don't know whether or not Jacarandas are prone to collar rot but just in case clear the extra soli or mulch immediately next to the trunk. A space of a couple of inches should be plenty but keep an eye out especially if conditions get very wet or water lies there. Extra topsoil under the canopy, as long as drainage is reasonable, will probably do more good than harm to this well-established tree. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:13 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Collar rot was my immediate thought but i have no idea if Jacarandas are susceptible or not.