Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - CHICKEN TRACTORS

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CHICKEN TRACTORS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:16 am 

Here is the tractor/ark I built this last year. I used all recycled lumber so it ended up a bit heavier than I would have liked (although I could move it by myself with a bit of grunting and swearing).

This fall (Oct.) I hadn't gotten around to building a winter coop so I set this ark up on old haybales and covered it with tarps and plastic (between the 2 layers of blue tarp is fiberglass insulation). Since these photos were taken I added better ventilation and we have received a bunch of snow.

IW

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:58 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

This is my first attempt at a chicken coop. My last place had a professionally made one but I can't afford such luxury now...lol.

This one is made out of an old swing set with the legs cut down. The wire is held onto the swing frame with UV resistant cable ties. The sheltered part was made for me by a friend using left over scraps around his yard. The door on the other side is just made out of marine ply, holes drilled in same and cable tied onto the frame.

It will do me until I can find something more permanent.

Now I just need the chooks to go in it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:45 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Guys

Thanks for the GREAT posts on chicken tractors.

I am currently setting up a more or less permanent chicken tractor arrangement with a permanent yard (heavily planted with bananas and other food plants) which will have 4 'tractor stations' attached to it. There will be a temporary fence around one of the stations, and the chickens are free to pick over that area. Every quarter, the chickens are moved to the next station.

Each of the stations is a long narrow vegetable garden about 1.5m wide, and about 8m long. The permanent run is approx 4m wide and 10m long.

I think my girls are pretty happy with the setup.

I'll post some photos when I can.

Cheers
Shane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:49 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Here is our contribution to the world of chicken tractors; The Juila Gillard Memorial Chicken Hall.
It is 1800mm long, 850mm wide and 1100mmto the chevy orange trim on top. There are 3 nest boxes downstairs (blocked off with the white board in the photo as we are still sorting out roosting issues :| ) and a roosting are upstairs.
Both roof parts over the roosting area are hinged to lift for easy cleaning. These bits also have eaves to help in damp weather. Hinged doors at the back as well to help with cleaning and egg gathering.
Early construction shot (please note: not real chicken)
As we were learning and building at the same time we soon (but not quite soon enough) learned the girls didn't need a nest box each so changed the top nesting area to roosting perches- much better.
There is lots of space in our garden under the fruit trees so the tractor will move between about 4 spots (still on the lookout for wheels). Head builder is already wishing for a rebuild but I think they will have to be happy with this one for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:36 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm sorry I didn't read this before we built our tractor.

However, we have a large chook run already, and I simply wanted a space to put the hens in during the day after they had laid their eggs, so they could scratch around and get some fresh grass occasionally. (The two hens have kept their 9 x 2 meter space weed free since a few days after moving in!)

I received a wooden cot that had obviously had a hard life and wasn't suitable for a child to occupy any more.

We took off the legs and the base, and added wheels on one end. The side of the cot that would normally slide up and down now swings out, giving good access to catch the hens at the end of the day. Netting has been placed over the top and the side that lifts out.

It isn't fox proof: I am hoping that in suburban Melbourne, with lots of neighbouring dogs that the foxes will keep their distance during the day. (I have seen a fox at night about a km away).

The second time I went to put the hens in there one wanted to run away (didn't want to be picked up), so while I chased and carried her over the other simply walked inside all by herself!

Also I decided one day that at 2.30 it was too late for the second egg, so put the hens out in the tractor. When it was time to go back home, one raced into the nesting box and laid her egg, at 5.30 pm. I wonder how long she had been holding on!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:15 pm 

how do the chooks drive the tractor?