Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Grow your own Poultry Forage

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:42 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks everyone for your help regarding Grow your own Poultry Forage. First will be 1 Lilly Pilly tree planted in their run. I have 2 wormwoods in pots, 2 motor vehicle tyers with Nastursiums growing, garlic chives also in pots which they really do like. Now I'm searching for nettle as believe this is also good for them to have a passing peck on. All pots are covered with small chicken wire... otherwise my chookies would eat themselves silly plus scratch the whole plant out of the pot. Also got some comfrey growing and will soon be planting out rows of lucern.
Thanks again everyone :claps:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:07 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Am curious re nettles as have some myself and thought birds may sting themselves onface or feet.?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:34 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I saw about nettles for chooks on the internet one night. I was looking for herbs to grow for chooks and there it was. I would love to get some to grow and give it a try. I live in WA and was wondering if one could get them here.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:11 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I have nettles growing - quite accidently (Albany WA). So I dug some up and grew them for the chooks who pointedly ignor them! They are still growing in the corner of one pen but no one touches them even when there is no other greens. They just ignor them - don't seem to get stung.

Where abouts in WA are you janewordy? Woops - just noticed you are in Wikepin. Do you ever pop down to Albany? You would be welcome to some plants.

NellyG

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:06 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

:aaargh: I found some more info regarding using nettles for your chooks. Apparently you boil the leaves for 10-15 minutes... let cool and then add the liquid to your chooks mash. It is a good dewormer :thumbs: . Will be moving onto our 20 acre rural block of land in about 4-6 weeks time ( :nail: loads of work to be done.) Cannot wait to get there and start a herbie garden for my chooks. :thanks: for offering me some nettle plants but we never get the chance to go to Albany... which is a shame! I will just have to keep looking and looking for nettles and hope to find them one day.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:15 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

for my poultry i grow heaps os silverbeet and spinach they love it, i also have a big patch of lucerne that i can pick from, and i also plant sunflowers and pick the heads of and throw that to the chooks :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:11 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I planted 3 wormwoods in the chookyard for mine, put a fence around them and then after 6 months when the plants were established i took the fences down. Since then the chooks love running though them and hiding in the foliage, peck at it to worm themselves if need be but they dont peck so much that the whrubs have been destroyed. One even decided the wormwoods were a better place to lay then the nest box!

I was a bit worried about feeding them the beetroot leaves, but I see a post here that other chooks are eating them with no ill effects so I'll stop worrying that the leaves will poison them!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:38 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

blustar wrote:
I planted 3 wormwoods in the chookyard for mine, put a fence around them and then after 6 months when the plants were established i took the fences down. Since then the chooks love running though them and hiding in the foliage, peck at it to worm themselves if need be but they dont peck so much that the whrubs have been destroyed.

Hi Blustar - just curious how many chooks you have and how long they have been just nibbling rather than devouring ? (as my horde would)??

I have planted one wormwood within a bantam Australorp's neck stretch through a wire fence and it is already half gone...!

Do you have lots of other plant greenery perhaps for them that they can share attention across perhaps?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:28 pm 

Just waiting to harvest off the last of the veggies before I enlarge the pen. What will be left will be lucerne, alysum, marjoram, cat grass, peas, curry plant, cabbage and broccoli waste, parsley, and tomatoes . I hope they leave the tomatoes alone!

Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1354151889644.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1354151889644.jpg [ 173.73 KiB | Viewed 3666 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:59 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Sorry to disillusion but experience tells me not much will be left alone if green and edible. :)

Edited to correct: they probably won't touch the leaves of the tomato, which is a good thing as I understand they are poisonous to chickens- but they will eat the tomatoes if I am any judge of a chook's eating prefs :laughing

Last edited by TookTook on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Growing sunflower, corn, sorgum and millet for chicken feed
by Joey Trahan - sounds like the US.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:20 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

About the stinging nettles, we had them weeding everywhere where we were in victoria, especially in the western district. Horrible, horrible things, great for composting and brewing if someone else has them. The chooks never ate them but ofcourse they are great for the compost and tea making, lots of nutrients. The seeds ripen very quickly and then for the next 20 yrs they won't go away if you pulled every single plant out before they seeded. Exceptions to the rule, yes, one plant from a pot my die or some soils they don't like either. They got into our vegie patch and I kept 'forgetting' to weed the beds and they would be knee high.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:01 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Just found this - some great info! Thanks :-D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:11 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Yes there is some good info here. I just wanted to share my idea, my family are farmers so I get plenty of wheat for my chooks and I also grow it for them and it helps to keep them very healthy. Mum was right we all need our greens. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:49 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Great idea! I do much the same but on a smaller scale. It reminds me I should plant some more for my coming babies
(currently still in the incubator).

NellyG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next